LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after sandblasting a frame... if i am gonna work on it off and on (wrap the frame)... should i use por 15 or weld through primer?? And why?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i would sand the frame with 180 grit on a sander and go for a good epoxy etch primer/sealer and put it over the whole frame the just sand it when you are workin in that bit

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by Big Doe@Sep 18 2006, 09:15 AM~6195793
dont do a thing, get to welding.
Do like he says. Take a grinder to expose fresh bare steel where you will be welding at the time and after you work away from that area you could probably spot prime what you have done but it might be better to wait until all the welding is done so the splatter doesn't mar the new primer.
Get it into a more controlled enviroment so it doesn't rust up on you. If all else fails use metal prep to keep the rust at bay until the welding is done.

Depending on how nice you want the frame attack it like the body of a car with metal work, filler work, block sanding and detailing of edges and seams. Here's some shots of my frame:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/328498439Rsnxou

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/328498439/...060464735xnTQSf

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/328498439/...060464735CLBmIq

http://rides.webshots.com/album/246391433WlqyPp

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/246391433/...060464735pjgCVG

Work on making the frame nice. If you just paint after it's been blasted it will look ugly like a shot of this frame in a Camaro:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/246391433/...060464735sbuael

Also learn from my mistake, do not weld all of the frame up at one time. Do an area and let it cool and then jump to another area. I welded one of my frames up in one shot not stopping and warped it and it was VERY hard to get it back into the car.

Jim

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the advice.
Jim wouldn't u put brasing accros the frame to keep it from warping? I dont plan on welding the whole frame in a day.. i dont have the time its just a side project not a career..

The biggest problem is even my garage is kind of moist mostly because i live in washington and its very humid in the winter, but my dryer doesn't vent outside so the moister stays in the garage... so theres no avoiding moister.

Been thinkin bout blasting it a lil at a time, because i bought my own blaster but i think that will get very time consuming/annoying

Why not use weld through primer?? are there disadvantages to it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by northwestG@Sep 18 2006, 06:58 PM~6199364
thanx for the advice.
Jim wouldn't u put brasing accros the frame to keep it from warping?  I dont plan on welding the whole frame in a day.. i dont have the time its just a side project not a career..

The biggest problem is even my garage is kind of moist mostly because i live in washington and its very humid in the winter, but my dryer doesn't vent outside so the moister stays in the garage... so theres no avoiding moister.

Been thinkin bout blasting it a lil at a time, because i bought my own blaster but i think that will get very time consuming/annoying

Why not use weld through primer?? are there disadvantages to it?
I could have added bracing but by taking my time on the second one I did I didn't need any. The problem I had with the first one was trying to rush it. I too didn't want to make mine a career on either the first or the second but on the second one I'm doing (the one linked to in primer) I'm trying to make this one the best I can and sometimes it does feel like a career.

I can understand about the different climates around the country and here in the midwest we get our fair share of extremes also. I would maybe ask around some of the body shops and see how they deal with the problems. I'm just not a fan of applying a coating on something only to weld on top of it later and it might just be me but I'm also a person that perfers welding panels together and not using panel adehsive. Yes they both might work and have probably been tested and shown to be superior to some other ways but I'm hard headed some times.

I've got a small blaster also and it's been more cost and time effective to farm the larger work and parts out for someone else to do. When I get freshly blasted or dipped parts back I attack them right away and do any preliminary welding to the parts and then get them sealed up with either epoxy primer or POR-15 products. If I find myself needing to come back and do something like putting in a patch panel or doing some other welding to the part I grind off the epoxy then do what I have to on the part and then reprime the area I just fixed or made better.

I would look at the instruction sheets with any paint product for instance the epoxy primer I have used has a working window of let's say 2 weeks which means as long as I stay under two weeks I can still put other things on top of it without any additional work however if I wait 4-6 weeks after I apply the first coat I have to sand or scuff the first before applying anything on top of it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for the info.. i guess if i wanted to try some other products i jus gotta go for it and see what works for me.. ima try to wait as long as possible to blast the whole thing so prolly go wit blasting a lil at a time and work as i can.
anyone else got feed back pllz leave it.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
use weld thru primer along the edges that you intend to weld on. it adds zinc to the weld which help keep it from corroding as fast.

·
Registered
28,037 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Sep 19 2006, 04:41 PM~6205321
use weld thru primer along the edges that you intend to weld on.  it adds zinc to the weld which help keep it from corroding as fast.
:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts