LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 Plymouth Fury II stock suspension is torsion bars up front with leaf springs in the rear (no coil springs) is it possible to attach an air bag system on it. Haven't seen one yet. Dont 60' impalas have coil springs?
help is much appriciated
Alex R :

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I was talking to someone about this yesterday. I know of someone in over here in England who has a 1968 Plymouth Fury on hydraulics. I don't think it is straight forward, but I can't see why air suspension can't be done if hydraulics can. I think the problem is dealing with the torsion bars.

Hang on and I'll go and cut & paste some details from another thread.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Regarding the Plymouth on hydraulics:

Here's the UK forum that he posts on:

http://www.lo-rdz.co.uk/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi

His user name is 'tark' and his car is in the 'Rides' forum, not the 'Members' Rides' forum.

If you sign up and post some questions for him I'm sure he'll answer.

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 20 2003, 05:00 PM

·
Registered
203 Posts
its possible to do it you just need to get torsion bag mounts for the front and ditch the bars so it can get a full range of motion

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The 1968 Plymouth on hydraulics has still got its torsion bars, but they have been released from acting as torsion bars and now only act as suspension locators, or so I understand.

:)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
on pretty much any mopar car with torsion bars, the torsion bars hold the lower a-arms in place so you need to keep them. just loosen them almost all the way so they are still a little tight. the shock tower isnt really strong enough i dont think , you would probally need to make a cross brace to run from side to side over the motor. even with that i dont know if a bag will fit in there without alot of work. i wanted to bag my 72 Duster but then after looking at it and doing some research i decided not to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks all for your info's I know its really fucked especially when your under the car and looking at them. But I will pass on this info to my suspension guy and see what he has to say.
I hope its possible.
When Or if i can do it I'll put up some pics

Thanks again

Love and peace
Alex :

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
my car has torsion bars and juice 77 chrysler newyorker... i know a juice guy posting in the air section lol

you can put air in your car... i belive your frames is almost identical to mine...
what you will need to do is on the frame the bump stop piece comes off remove it mince came off while driving lol its not an important part of the car when you have an adjustable susp...
then you will notch and reinforce the frame...
i will post some shity drawings for you lol
i suck at drawing but hoefully it helps

this pic give you an idea of your frame setup

this image shows where to notch frame only nothc 1/2 way across frame then reinforce

this image shows the bag in place not sure if its is better to have the bag on top or bottom

i hope this helps you or maybe gives you some ideas to get you rollin
i also hope your frame is close to the same as mine lol
or this was just a good waste of time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Milkweed, your a true player, appreciate all the drawings (looks easy LOL). Im gonna print them and give em to my suspension guy, and see what he thinks.
Ill let you know

Alex. R>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts