LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'll be buying an air compressor and have a few questions that would help me greatly. First, I realize the 60 gallon ones are the best but from what I've seen, they run off of 240v and I'm unable to run this from my place since it's rented and can't have it wired. Is there a way to wire a 240v without altering anything on my place?

If I can't use a 240v, are there any good 120v air compressors that can handle everything I'll need from sand blasting, angle grinding, painting and whatever else may be needed for my car? Also, I have an option between oil and oil less compressors and I'm told that oil types are better because they last longer and are quiter. Anyone have any experiences with oil free compressors? Any input would be greatly appreciated before I go forth with this purchase. Thx :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
For air tools you will need oil. The oil less ones are too small and do not produce enough air fast enough. Your 120 volt ones are mostly small also and you end up waiting alot for them to catch up. All air tools consume alot of air (cfm) cubic feet per minute. The best answer is 220
volt 60 or 80 gallon (two stage) Can you get to your clothes dryer hook up? I used to do that when I was in an apt. That will most likely be 220 volt. A two stage takes in air twice as fast as a single stage so you have
a supply much faster with no waiting. But the price is greater also. If you
go with 110 volt 20 or 30 gal you can work but it goes ssssslllloooowww
you spend most of your time waiting for air to build up. Hope this helps Toby :biggrin:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info :thumbsup: I'll check into getting a 60 gallon set up. Do they make extension cords that I could run into the dryer outlet? Thx again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you would have to make it up because it would have two different ends on it one end would be 50amp dryer plug 220 volt the other would be 30 amp 220 receptical. Make sure your wire is heavy enough for the distance you will run. We dont want a damn fire!!!! Toby

1 - 4 of 4 Posts