LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so whats the deal with air ride suspensions and the law? are they illegal? i asked one cop and he told me as long as i dont hit them switches while im driving...then again he was off duty and not exactly sober..hehehe. i know the laws vary from state to state...but i dont know what the deal is out here in sur california. ive had my car on air for two years now and have yet to be pulled over for that. i just always assumed they were illegal..then i thought about how some cars have air bags straight from the factory. like the land rover..and the new volkswagen suv. granted they only go up and down...and verrrry slowly...but isnt it basically the same thing? maybe somebody out there more familiar with california laws can enlighten my on the subject.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
it's the same with either air or juice
in cali

there is no exact law saying that hydros or air suspension are illegal

but you can not drive with any part of the car lower than the lowest part of the rim
in case of a blow out

and you have to have the proper tires for the weight of the vehicle

you can not jit switches while driving

hydros get busted more because it's usually no shocks bouncing down the street in an unsafe manner

500 lbs of batteries in the trunk over rating the tires
yeah but they luv them 13" 5.20"s huh

but it all depends on the cop if you get the ticket

if you ever get a fix it ticket you can usually get by with just adding bump stops to keep stuff from dropping lower than the lowest part of the rim
and of course make them removable or adjustable

my car will have some that are pneumatic actuated so i can activate my bump stops by the flick of a switch

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If you are just riding along, with a proper hieght, they cant do much with bags. City vehicles(buses) also have air ride and they lower the buses for people to get on. So technically, you should be able to pull up to the curb and lower it for people to get in.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Originally posted by mango@Aug 10 2005, 09:47 PM~3588029
so whats the deal with air ride suspensions and the law? are they illegal? i asked one cop and he told me as long as i dont hit them switches while im driving...then again he was off duty and not exactly sober..hehehe. i know the laws vary from state to state...but i dont know what the deal is out here in sur california. ive had my car on air for two years now and have yet to be pulled over for that. i just always assumed they were illegal..then i thought about how some cars have air bags straight from the factory. like the land rover..and the new volkswagen suv. granted they only go up and down...and verrrry slowly...but isnt it basically the same thing? maybe somebody out there more familiar with california laws can enlighten my on the subject.
AIR SUCKS HYDROS RULEZZZZZZZZZZ

TYRAME OUT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to each his own. i went with air cause i dont want all them batteries in my trunk. although you cant beat that o.g. sound hydros make....and no waiting for tanks to fill.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by mango@Aug 11 2005, 12:24 PM~3594283
to each his own. i went with air cause i dont want all them batteries in my trunk. although you cant beat that o.g. sound hydros make....and no waiting for tanks to fill.
no need to explaine yourself to anybody

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IMO, if a cop wants to fuck with you he'll do it. Wether you got bags or juice, they always say the same shit, "it's illegal" sure... most of the time they just give you a warning and let you go but what they really want is check out what you may have in the passenger or back seat, ask you for guns or drugs and run a quick check up on your name. Big deal.... I'm clean BITCH! NOW WHAT????

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52@Aug 10 2005, 11:14 PM~3588318
. . . . . get busted more because it's usually no shocks bouncing down the street in an unsafe manner
Joe, that's the first time I've seen anyone in the US say that on here! I thought you lot were oblivious to the effects of driving without shock absorbers!

Mike

:cheesy:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Aug 11 2005, 03:56 PM~3595724
Joe, that's the first time I've seen anyone in the US say that on here!  I thought you lot were oblivious to the effects of driving without shock absorbers!

Mike

well all that weight with no shocks on then big coils
and they go down the street like they have parkensons (sp?)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by joebomber52@Aug 11 2005, 05:15 PM~3595835
well all that weight with no shocks on then big coils
and they go down the street like they have parkensons (sp?)
Parkinson's. Haha, yes I know what you mean!

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by Loco Low Tucson 520@Aug 11 2005, 04:27 PM~3595916
here in az we can hit the switches while driving under 25 mph  :cool:
is it in the law

a vehicle can adjust it's suspension height under 25mph or what?

·
Registered
640 Posts
They must really stress the use of shocks in Europe. Most people drive around with junk or blown ones... Except for lift trucks they stick them every where.
I mean I'm guilty, I've got really nice shocks on my project truck, the factory ones on my 7 year old daily and none on my project Monte Carlo.

Man JOE, your car sounds like it's going to be better than Knight Rider.
Automated BumpStops and I know you have more than that up your sleeve...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes, we need them for the M.O.T. test over here (an annual safety test). In my experience even worn shock absorbers will send you all over the road if you hit a bump when cornering, or increase your braking distances if you hit a bump in a straight line because the wheels bounce! Also it wrecks the tyres and steering/suspension components!

Mike

:)

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by HighProCam@Aug 11 2005, 04:35 PM~3595961
They must really stress the use of shocks in Europe.  Most people drive around with junk or blown ones... Except for lift trucks they stick them every where. 
I mean I'm guilty, I've got really nice shocks on my project truck, the factory ones on my 7 year old daily and none on my project Monte Carlo.

Man JOE, your car sounds like it's going to be better than Knight Rider.
Automated BumpStops and I know you have more than that up your sleeve...
lol Knight rider that show was awesome then the game came out haha

yeah i'm having a lever stopp to prevent the car from dropping all the way to the ground just in case something happens on a trip or on the freeway
then they will be actuated with air cylinders to release if i do want to drop

my hood and trunk will also open with air the lifting and the latches

and alot of other top secret stuff
if there was ever gonna be a transformer movie it would be in it lol

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
well I'm from Central FL and I used to work out with a couple cops and I asked them seeing I have air bags. I asked him if I was sitting at a light and adjusted my air would or could I get a ticket. What he told me was if the vehicle is not moving and you're posing no threat or danger to anyone he couldn't figure out what kind of ticket I could get..can't a moving violation because you're not moving..he also said it depends on the cop if he wants to be a prick he could mess with ya. I dunno..I hit my shit alot when driving or at a light and haven't gotten in any trouble however I do love pulling in a convenient store when the cops are hanging out and slam my shit to the ground when I get out and pop it back up when leaving...their expressions is priceless :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well I live in San Jose, Ca. This is what a "Park ranger" told me. (we were at Calero lake fine-tuning my jet-boat) He said hydraulics are perfectly legal....the problem is the venting of the batterys. He said if you were to cut out vents in the trunk (what ?!?!? thru my candy paint ?!?) one facing forward (fresh air in, with a blower fan...kinda like a boat), and another facing to the rear (exhaust), and completely sealed the backseat firewall area, you would be ok....and as mentioned before not hit them while moving or in front of the PD. I was like, well if you can't hit then in front of the police, doesn't that make them perfectly illegal. He said thats just the way it was. I don't think he knew what he was talking about, cause he said my boat was totally legal, including my carb which he looked at...which it wasn't cause I have a "car" 850 DP, not a "marine" carb. Anyway this is what I was told one time.

John

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by REin4ST@Aug 13 2005, 08:08 AM~3609746
Well I live in San Jose, Ca.  This is what a "Park ranger" told me.  (we were at Calero lake fine-tuning my jet-boat)  He said hydraulics are perfectly legal....the problem is the venting of the batterys.  He said if you were to cut out vents in the trunk (what ?!?!? thru my candy paint ?!?)  one facing forward (fresh air in, with a blower fan...kinda like a boat), and another facing to the rear (exhaust), and completely sealed the backseat firewall area, you would be ok....and as mentioned before not hit them while moving or in front of the PD.  I was like, well if you can't hit then in front of the police, doesn't that make them perfectly illegal.  He said thats just the way it was.  I don't think he knew what he was talking about, cause he said my boat was totally legal, including my carb which he looked at...which it wasn't cause I have a "car" 850 DP, not a "marine" carb. Anyway this is what I was told one time.
John
you talk to highway patrol about vehicle code not park ranger
ask him when and what they stock that lake with and that's it

·
Registered
931 Posts
the in west tx are cool as long as you are cool...

a guy I know was at the club in his raod master on 22"s and bags in front of 2 cops drunk and hopping the shit out of it waiting for traffic to flow and they didnt do shit.......

and once I went to a spot where the lowrider crown kicks it and nearly got my grand prix totaled my some asswhole doing about 45 therew the lot in a monte hoping (rear bumper nearly on the ground)......cops still didnt do shit...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts