LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a repost..if so, i appologize but i couldnt find anything on it.

my question is, whats the con's of having a daily oin air during the winer? i know hydraulic fluid tends to thicken up and run slower when its cold....and probably a bunch of other reasons you dont wanna drive a car with hydraulics during the winter....but what about air? im planning on getting a simple set up. just something to lay it out and pick it up., nothing fancy or fast. Its a 80 coupe devile, and its gonna be my daily. what do you guys think about having air ride during the winter in michigan?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Frozen valves and water in tank. ;) We have cheap fuckers down here. so blowdryer during winter cruz to warm them boys up and heat blankets for our juicers.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
so for bein a michigander myself and had having a airbagged hearse as a daily all year round its not bad. make sure u keep ur tank drained from having water and keep a lil bit of airbrake antifreeze in the tank at all times. cant tell u how many times my retarded ass forgot to do that and always ended up with valves froze shut :angry:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so besides the water in the tank freezing...thats about it? no problems with the bags themselves in cold weather??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats wassup. good lookin out. does it have the same prinipal as a shop compresor/tank (just drain it when your done for the day?) or do you have to keep draining it a couple times a day? sorry if this sounds dumb, but i dont even know anyone with an air ride setup to ask....otherwise i would ask them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Drain your tanks often.
Use water traps.
Use air brake anti freeze in the tank..
Rig up a 12v cig lighter in your truck beside your valves, if they freeze up just plug in a cheap heater into the adaptor to warm them up for a couple mins.

·
Registered
263 Posts
With good traps you should never have to drain daily.

I do mine once a month,
But weekly when you wash you car would do,

You don't have to completely air down completely...........

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
every state has their issues. i would MUCH rather deal with snow than planes flying into our buildings, eartquakes, hurricanes, tornado's every other day, blizzards, heat waves etc... michigan has MILD winters anymore. so its not too bad.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i live in texas so if they frese i just keep my blow dryer with my inverter in the trunk lol takes a whole 5 min every morning cuz mine are under my car

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by phatz@Oct 16 2007, 01:46 PM~9014055
Drain your tanks often.
Use water traps.
Use air brake anti freeze in the tank..
Rig up a 12v cig lighter in your truck beside your valves, if they freeze up just plug in a cheap heater into the adaptor to warm them up for a couple mins.
good idea on the heater, i wonder if you could rig up heat tape on them, that would thaw em out quick :cool:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
i didnt have any porblems during the winter with my air set up :dunno: :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by phatz@Oct 17 2007, 12:48 PM~9023261
ya guys in Cali never complain about frozen valves lol.

hahhaha... yeah but last time i was in LA i was up at William Morris and the fuckin building started shakin like a mutherfucker. i was like "what the fuck was that?" and noone else was worried. turns out it was an eartquake and cats just went on about thier business. i was freakin out. so i would rather have to drain my tanks than get stuck in another one of thoes...and it wasnt even a big one. like i said, noone else was worried. i had a "Welcome to Detroit" shirt on too, so it probably explained my concern for the building shakin. haha

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Originally posted by Fahm Joiner@Oct 17 2007, 11:45 AM~9022767
where you from bro?
MIAMI :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you are planning your system you should make sure to get water separators and tanks with a port on the bottom to drain them. Try to keep everything in the trunk so its easier to keep them warm if you run into a problem. Some valves have more of a tendency to freeze up due to the sizes and shapes of the internal passages. Those are rally the only things to worry about. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by nyccustomizer@Oct 18 2007, 09:42 AM~9029704
If you are planning your system you should make sure to get water separators and tanks with a port on the bottom to drain them. Try to keep everything in the trunk so its easier to keep them warm if you run into a problem. Some valves have more of a tendency to freeze up due to the sizes and shapes of the internal passages. Those are rally the only things to worry about. Hope that helps.
thanks for the input bro....much appriciated. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts