LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im very familiar with suspensions, mostly hydraulic.

i have a 1979 cadillac coupe, i want to put an air suspension on it for a change. the reason being is im building this cadillac to look like a lowrider, but have the performace of a mild hot rod.

i want this cadillac to handle as well as possible for what it is. i dont mind a stiff ride, i want to be able to throw it around corners. but im trying to do this on a budget. i.e. i want to fabricate as many of my own parts as possible.

air bags can be used for suspensions on high performance suspensions right?

im thinking to use beefed up sway bars and heavy duty shocks all around?

will i need to reinforce any suspension components?

i just want any advise to have air bags, but a really solid handling car.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can someone also explain the concept to allow a car to handle better? to my understanding its mostly about stiffening the suspension and reducing body roll... idk if theres more to it than that?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
One of the keys to making a car handle well is like you said minizing body roll and controlling weight transfer. Another has to due with the suspension design intself. You want to have a suspension design that can maintain a good tire contact patch under all conditions and through the usable range of travel. Going with a stiffer shock or higher spring rate spring isnt always the answer, but when compared to a soft comfort ride will usually make performance better. When setting up air bags for performance it will take some experimenting. You will want to match the spring rate to the desired ride height. Getting the correct camber and caster to keep the car centered and maintaining the largest contact patch can be tuned once the ride height and spring rate is determined. Matching a shock to control that spring is important. Using Sway bars and an fbss set up will help as well by keeping body roll to a minimum.

·
Registered
380 Posts
can someone also explain the concept to allow a car to handle better? to my understanding its mostly about stiffening the suspension and reducing body roll... idk if theres more to it than that?
it's all about stance! how high or how low do you plan to do most of your driving at?

3" off the ground etc etc... also getting good quality parts and not going the "CHEAP" route as do most people on here do...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
not to be a dick but a coupe deville that handles like a hot rod is crazy talk.the car is way too long for any real handling upgrades and way too heavy.if you do your setup the right way itll handle better than stock but far from anything sporty.your on the right track as far as what it takes to make handeling better just maybe the wrong car to experiment with.also shocks all the way around with bags?you have to fab a way to mount them in the front theres some figuring involved with suspension angles for that.i have front shocks on my bagged truck and its more involved than you would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts