LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid ass idea, but even though I'm diehard into juice, I like what you "airheads" are doing too. :) (That's not derogatory is it?) :) Anyway, though, has anyone thought of a false floor in the rear of their car/truck? Basically a custom airtank shaped like the floor of their trunk. A 3" false floor that's around 1.75 cubic feet is 12 gallons. Not sure if it's been done, but I think it would be worth losing 3" - 4" of floor space to nix your current tank AND increase your capacity to over 20 gallons easily. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
As true as that is. I think the cheapness of air tanks is a deterrent to spend money on a custom tank. I dont think people could get their heads around the cost of design, fabrication and labouyr hours, when they can just run out an buy a tank for like $90? Just my opinion.

·
Registered
558 Posts
it can be done, I don't know if anyone knows but there are people actually using their frame as an air tank, if you thinK about it some frames are boxed in from factiory like mine and they just pressure weld them air tight and use the frame as a tank, or a booster tank, downside if you get t boned, kaboom, but same goes with a regular tank, only draw back of making a custom tank is that the welds need to be pressure welded (what I heard) so they can withstand the flex of constantly fillling and deflating, but a good idea in deed

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS@Oct 31 2003, 06:20 AM
This may be a stupid ass idea, but even though I'm diehard into juice, I like what you "airheads" are doing too. :) (That's not derogatory is it?) :) Anyway, though, has anyone thought of a false floor in the rear of their car/truck? Basically a custom airtank shaped like the floor of their trunk. A 3" false floor that's around 1.75 cubic feet is 12 gallons. Not sure if it's been done, but I think it would be worth losing 3" - 4" of floor space to nix your current tank AND increase your capacity to over 20 gallons easily. Am I crazy?
BIGGEST PROBLEM= TANKS CANNOT BE SQUARE, MUST BE CYLINDRICAL !!! Or else they cannot displace the pressure.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by 1lorodeo@Oct 31 2003, 11:14 AM
yup u got a point there
:biggrin:

There are a ton of good "tank" ideas, but all MUST be round or cylindrical.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by 1lorodeo@Oct 31 2003, 11:08 AM
it can be done, I don't know if anyone knows but there are people actually using their frame as an air tank, if you thinK about it some frames are boxed in from factiory like mine and they just pressure weld them air tight and use the frame as a tank, or a booster tank, downside if you get t boned, kaboom, but same goes with a regular tank, only draw back of making a custom tank is that the welds need to be pressure welded (what I heard) so they can withstand the flex of constantly fillling and deflating, but a good idea in deed
This is SO TOTALLY OUT OF YOUR FUCKING ASS

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe+Oct 31 2003, 01:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10laynframe @ Oct 31 2003, 01:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--1lorodeo@Oct 31 2003, 11:08 AM
This is SO TOTALLY OUT OF YOUR FUCKING ASS[/b][/quote]
what, I've seen articles where they made custom frames and used them as the tank..

heres the biggest problem with a rectangle tank..

force

you would need to weld ribs every foot or so to connect the top and bottom together..

there would be so much area on a 4 foot wide by 2 foot deep tank that the top and bottom would rip the fuck off..

think about it..

175 PSI X 8 ft/2= 1400 pounds of force..

better be either damn thick metal or very well reinforced.. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe+Oct 31 2003, 08:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10laynframe @ Oct 31 2003, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--1lorodeo@Oct 31 2003, 11:08 AM
This is SO TOTALLY OUT OF YOUR FUCKING ASS[/b][/quote]
thats what I heard dude, just word of mouth, don't hate on me..lol

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm aware that the tank would have to be well-built; reinforcing ribs, strength of mat'l, etc. I didn't mean to just make a box and fill it with air. I was just curious to know if anyone had tried.

I had also heard that some had tried using frame-rails. Wasn't sure if it was true, but it's definitely a good damn idea. Like I said, I'm diehard juice, but maybe one day I'll try air. Doesn't matter what anyone has to me, I just like seeing people trying new shit.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
transducer feedback height control system anyone? ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Oct 31 2003, 09:12 PM
transducer feedback height control system anyone? ;)
I think there are already people out there with that.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Oct 31 2003, 08:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Oct 31 2003, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--216RIDER@Oct 31 2003, 09:12 PM
transducer feedback height control system anyone?  ;)
I think there are already people out there with that.[/b][/quote]
:0 who? bastards

·
Registered
104 Posts
A tank CAN be square, but it better be strong welds and 1/4" thick. Then it would to much of a heavy turd to be worth having.

And yes, it has been done numerous times. I can name a few trucks with their frame as the airtank. BUT, they are all custom made frames...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts