LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious, which is a safer place to put an air tank. In the trunk or under the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, thank you. Another question, if I were to put the tank under the vehicle, could I drive the vehicle fully dropped. Or would I have to drive real slow?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by whyn@Oct 19 2003, 05:01 PM
okay, thank you. Another question, if I were to put the tank under the vehicle, could I drive the vehicle fully dropped. Or would I have to drive real slow?
WHAT WRONG WITH MOUNTING IT IN THE TRUNK :uh:

DUDE HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF U CAN DRIVE IT FULLY DROPPED DO I KNOW HOW LOW YOUR GONNA LAY, WHERE IT BEING MOUNTED AT OR STUFF LIKE THAT, SAFE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND MOUNT IT IN THE TRUNK!!!!!

SURE PUT IT UNDER THE CAR YOU'LL BE DRAGGING THE TANK OFF :cool:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
you put it under the car as long as the frame is lower than the tank...id put it in the trunk tho if i was you easier to work with if something leaks or fucks up

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I HAVE MINE MOUNTED BEHINDE FRONT BUMPER AND THE OTHER UNDER CAR NEXT TO GAS TANK ( WITH A 1/4 PLATE BETWEEN THEM ) I SAY BEST PLACE IF YOU CAN IS UNDER YOUR RIDE SO THAT YOU AINT GOTS TO LOOK AT IT IN THE TRUNK I GOT MORE SPACE FOR AMPS SUBS AND SUNDAY GROCERIES THE ONLY THING IN THE TRUNK IS THE COMPRESSER CUZ A REPLACEMENT COST LIKE 1500

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by joebomber52@Oct 19 2003, 04:40 PM
I HAVE MINE MOUNTED BEHINDE FRONT BUMPER AND THE OTHER UNDER CAR NEXT TO GAS TANK ( WITH A 1/4 PLATE BETWEEN THEM ) I SAY BEST PLACE IF YOU CAN IS UNDER YOUR RIDE SO THAT YOU AINT GOTS TO LOOK AT IT IN THE TRUNK I GOT MORE SPACE FOR AMPS SUBS AND SUNDAY GROCERIES THE ONLY THING IN THE TRUNK IS THE COMPRESSER CUZ A REPLACEMENT COST LIKE 1500
the tanks look to big to fit behind the bumpers. The set-up is goin in a Acura, not sure what year it is. The tank looks like a 5 gal. kiind of big and bulky looking. I asked the guy if he had any long ones but he said he didn't. Would the tank be in danger of getting hit by say a rock or something if I were to place it under the car somehow? I'm really worried about that kind of thing happening.

·
Registered
127 Posts
are you doing the install if so little things like this, ur gonna ahve way more problems then that...... I don't see why u can't mount it in the trunk what if u have to replace a valve or fix something that just waste of time man.....

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by whyn+Oct 19 2003, 06:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (whyn @ Oct 19 2003, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--joebomber52@Oct 19 2003, 04:40 PM
I HAVE MINE MOUNTED BEHINDE FRONT BUMPER AND THE OTHER UNDER CAR NEXT TO GAS TANK  ( WITH A 1/4 PLATE BETWEEN THEM ) I SAY BEST PLACE IF YOU CAN IS UNDER YOUR RIDE SO THAT YOU AINT GOTS TO LOOK AT IT IN THE TRUNK I GOT MORE SPACE FOR AMPS SUBS AND SUNDAY GROCERIES THE ONLY THING IN THE TRUNK IS THE COMPRESSER CUZ A REPLACEMENT COST LIKE 1500
the tanks look to big to fit behind the bumpers. The set-up is goin in a Acura, not sure what year it is. The tank looks like a 5 gal. kiind of big and bulky looking. I asked the guy if he had any long ones but he said he didn't. Would the tank be in danger of getting hit by say a rock or something if I were to place it under the car somehow? I'm really worried about that kind of thing happening.[/b][/quote]
viair makes some slim tanks that go frame side they are about 5 51/2 inches wide and are like 2-3 gallon tanks under car is not stupid it's a good idea as long as they are safe compressers outside of the car is also a great idea so they cool and get cool air into them

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by 857baller@Oct 19 2003, 06:43 PM
are you doing the install if so little things like this, ur gonna ahve way more problems then that...... I don't see why u can't mount it in the trunk what if u have to replace a valve or fix something that just waste of time man.....
what if hi valves aren't in the trunk or off the tank

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo+Oct 19 2003, 07:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vwlownslo @ Oct 19 2003, 07:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--joebomber52@Oct 19 2003, 09:23 PM

what if hi valves aren't in the trunk or off the tank
good point![/b][/quote]
my valves are mounted framerail and next to the a-arms and the other are just6 above the rear end

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx Joe, this is the size I'm looking for. You think I could trade in my 5 gal. for one like yours? Uhm, what's that weird gunk on the tank?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
it was in a tire well and vibration knocked it on the side and to keep it from bouncing and busting a fitting i filled the well with triple expanding foam and that's all foam

·
Registered
650 Posts
I got my tank and compressor mounted under the car...it's on my PT Cruiser. I took out the spare tire from underneath and mounted everything there so there's plenty of room. It's only a three gallon tank so I can drive the car all the way down no problem. I'm not sure the five gallon would have made it though.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's my only car so I really can't take up the trunk space right now. Even my 10" subwoofers are mounted inside the side panels. That's the way they were designed for though so they sound good.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by chivomexicano@Oct 19 2003, 08:41 PM
It's my only car so I really can't take up the trunk space right now. Even my 10" subwoofers are mounted inside the side panels. That's the way they were designed for though so they sound good.
yeah this car is my daily as well. I need trunk space for groceries and other things if needed. That is why I ask and worry about mounting the tank underneith the car. Don't really need to bump as much. I only have component speakers in front and 6x9's in the rear. My friend mounted them in for me. And just one amp that unfortunately shares the same sapce as my spare tire.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, even my amp isn't in the trunk...it's under my driver seat! So even with all I got in my car (dvd player is also under seat, passenger), I still got all my trunk space. My trunks kinda small so it's good I can still fill it up with groceries and whatever else. Is the Acura an Integra or something bigger??? If it's an Integra, that's a small trunk like mine. But if it's something bigger with more space, maybe you should try two 3 gallon tanks pushed up either tp the sides or to the very back. Not as bulky as the 5 gallon and even more air! Otherwise, best thing to do is get your car up on a lift and just see for yourself how much room you got to work with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts