LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 64 coupe deville and i have airbags but im not to happy with the performance but i like the ride. i would like to switch over to hyros but i dont really want to loose the ride quality. i would like to do a 2 pump setup with 4 maybe 6 batteries.
what im looking for is some input and products like what is the best kit for the money im looking to spend aroud 1500-1600 for everything but installation i can do that myself.
also has anyone put hyros in a 64 coupe deville and had any problems that i should know before hand?
please any help would be great leave a meassage here or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
675 Posts
hey man hows it going. i have a 62 deville that i had hydraulics on but because ofstrick virginia law i had to get them taken off. i used my stock coils and the ride was not changed that much. it still rode pretty good. i had around 4to 5turns of springs and the ride was not thatbad. i retained the shocks in the rear. the only trouble was that the front end was more bouncey do to lack of shock absorbers. the main thing to worry about is the rear traioling arms. make sure that those are not rusty or weak cuz as you know they will be getting most of the weight. not the solid axle like newer cadillacs. i had mines rapped just to be safe. also make sure that all of your bushing and front suspension rubber is in good condition.if you dont extend your upper arms the ball joints will go alot faster , trust me i got many more miles out of them once i extened.
what are you going todo with that airsetup i got a guy looking for one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since the 62 is the same frame where do the rear spring and cylinder mount. any problems with the drive shaft and what size cylinders did you use, and i do not have the stock spring anymore i had cut them to get them out when i did the air as far as selling the air setup it would be a month or so before i get it all out

·
Registered
675 Posts
the coils sit on the trailing arms it self.not on the sold bar of the axle.the trailing arms are not big beefy meteal like the axle so there for thats why they need to be reinforced.the spring also would have sat on the trailing arm. when you put the bags on the caddy you can look and see where they are sitting, not on the axle, but on the, trailing arms. ]
if you look at the arm there was a spring pearch that held the bottom coil of the spring in place.look at where that is or in this case the bottom donought for the air bags. if you choose to use coilovers that area will be where the swivel cup gets placed. after getting it boxed in you will have a really good surface area to weld on.
as far as problems go i did not have many. like i said earlier i kept the use of shocks and my third link which keep the rear-end under control and prevent the violent uncontrolable shifting that cuases thing to break.i used much taller shocks for my application. i used truck shock that would let me loock up high but still give stability.i had 12 inch cylinders by the way.
if you look at people who get the most damage are those people with 14 inch cylindrs and up. the car, when three wheelingt is just so heavy that problems are bound to happen. alot of these people also get rid of their shock and third links to get to lock up high. it looks good but that is where the major issues start coming in.
my driveshaft was always fine because i was never in the "stratosphere" when i would go to lock up.the higher the car goes up the more stress and pulling will be applied to the line. you can always buy a telescoping driveshaft for around 400 bucks then you can go as high as you like.
to keep it simple i did the bare minimum to have safe hydraulics and justy enjoy cruising going up and down side to side. if you wnat ,more then you had better start taking the entire car apart to reinforce it all.

·
Registered
675 Posts
oh by the way, send me an e-mail of your your e-mail so that when you do sell the air i can make arrangments to buy it from you

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
what kinda air ride set up is it? line and valve size. because 36volts isnt anyfaster than my air, ither was 48volts. untill them damn springs got the bouncen :biggrin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it might not be any faster but with hydros you can dance the hell out of it at the light but with bags youll have to wait for the refill and i hate that i should have went with hydros to begin with but i guess ive learned my lesson the hard way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts