LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Aircraft Hydraulics, Pictures and Info!

703K views 8K replies 343 participants last post by  Airborne 
#1 ·
Lets start a new thread..no more bullshit! I apologize for all the Drama in the other thread...IGNORE THE NEGATIVE POSTS! I need the serious Aircraft Enthusiasts in this thread. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I will start out with FIREFLY"S set up since we fucked up his thread!

here is some random pics I have saved.....

See less See more
#4,735 · (Edited)
#3 ·

Originally posted by Firefly@Sep 4 2008, 04:18 AM~11514703
Picked up a package from the post office today. My Pesco 280's, tank and filters I got from Spank.

Here's a pic with all my shit together

I don't know about the Waterman dumps yet, since they're not aircraft dumps. But I really like the looks of them, so I might just use them :0

#20 ·
Originally posted by Firefly@Feb 19 2010, 11:22 AM~16661759
I'm gonna go restore and paint all my stuff soon so I can start building my setup. Does anyone happen to know the font that was used on the oxygen tanks?

I want to put something custom on there, with the original font, so it looks like the original text untill you read what it says.

Thanks for posting on here, Lets keep this thread positive!!!

#24 ·
This info is taken from squaredump.com and I would like to thank Tony for this info. I really want to inform some of the newcomers so that they will be interested in AIRCAFT HYDRAULICS.

So I really want to keep this topic drama free and make it a useful information source for us all. Thanks again to Tony, for this great info. :cool:

here is a link to his site!
http://squaredump.com/data/index.php?PHPSE...7186&topic=28.0

Of the many valves and pumps shown, all can in some way be used in Lowriders. Most valves are rated at 3,000 PSI, most pumps are rated at 1,200 PSI

You will see valves rated at 1,500 and some pumps rated as little as 800 PSI.

Most aircraft pumps used in Lowriders are medium pressure pumps, rated at 1,200 to 1,500 PSI. There are a few high pressure pumps rated at approx. 3,000 PSI.

Most Lowrider pumps (lifegate type), sold to Lowriders are approx. 3,000 to 5,000 PSI range.

When using medium pressure aircraft pumps, attention must be given to the overall design of the system. Cylinders, and weight of the vehicle all play a part, as well as the use of the set up. Hopping on medium pressure aircraft pumps is not advised, but for show, they will work.

You can use a 1,000 PSI pump, 1,500 PSI valve and large diameter cylinders on the rear of a car. It will work. Slow but sure. A 1 1/2 inch diameter cylinder at 1000 PSI can lift (in theory) 4,719 pounds. The average car weights about that, unless you add the batteries and passengers.

The key to the system is the weigh of the car and cylinder diameter. If you are looking for speed, then a 3,000 PSI pump at 2.0 HP and 2.0 GPM just might be more desirable.

What I will try to list is pumps and valves that will work for show. There are the old favorites 280 and 777. The reasoning behind this may be that:
1) they work
2) they are/where plentiful
3) they were some of the first pumps used in cars years ago.

One of the many reasons there are favorite or more popular pumps and valves in demand today is that they have withstood the test of time. Years ago, we used anything we could get our hands on. Price and abundance played a large part in our first setups. After a while we learned what worked and what didn't.

There are two thoughts of using aircraft hydraulics:

One school of thought is that you should only use aircraft parts that were first used in Lowriders before the use of the liftgate type pumps. That you should only use Pescos, Adel, Eemco/Stratopowers power packs. And that you must use only Adel or Hydro-aire dump valves. (There were many many other aircraft valves used at that time). You could call this the OG (or classical) look.

The other school of thought is that some riders want something different than industrial type hydraulics made only for Lowriders. And that using aircraft hydraulics is an option if you want something different and unique.

This is another reason for creating this site, to allow you to see the many different types of pumps and valves that will work. To allow you to understand that aircraft hydraulics parts need not all look the same. Many countries around the world have produced aircraft hydraulic parts, that you and I have never seen.

You may come across some people that don't understand or agree with using anything other than the named aircraft parts I have listed above. Yes those parts named above have proven though time to work and last, (unless you were a hopper). As I stated before, the parts that Lowriders used in the early days were parts that were easy and cheap to get. As time went on we learned what parts performed better or lasted longer.

Using Aircraft hydraulic pumps pretty much faded out once the liftgate type became popular. We still used any valve we could get our hands on. Unless you were a hopper, pretty much any valve rated at 3,000 PSI would work. About the only aircraft part that I know of that is suitable for hoppers is the Adel 3-port square dump. The most recognized aircraft hydraulic part used in Lowriders and hoppers. I myself used to use the Hydro-aire #16 two port N.C. valve (AKA Monster Green).

Now lets fast-forward about 20 years. More aircraft surplus parts are coming to market and these don't cost hundreds of dollars. Surplus pumps no one wants. Why? Because riders don't know about them or for some reason they are hesitant to use them. Some of these newer pumps can cost about $50.00 new! Yet I have never seen these pumps mounted in a trunk.

Once riders get over this type of thinking, three things will happen,

1) The so-called fellow Lowrider that sells over priced parts to fellow Lowriders will need to reduce their prices,

2) These unknown aircraft hydraulic parts will gain in value,

3) Riders will learn that it's cool to be different when you use hydraulic parts not seen before.

All in all, install what you like, not what you are told to like. :cool:

#7,614 ·
This info is taken from squaredump.com and I would like to thank Tony for this info. I really want to inform some of the newcomers so that they will be interested in AIRCAFT HYDRAULICS.

So I really want to keep this topic drama free and make it a useful information source for us all. Thanks again to Tony, for this great info. :cool:

here is a link to his site!
http://squaredump.com/data/index.php?PHPSE...7186&topic=28.0

Of the many valves and pumps shown, all can in some way be used in Lowriders. Most valves are rated at 3,000 PSI, most pumps are rated at 1,200 PSI

You will see valves rated at 1,500 and some pumps rated as little as 800 PSI.

Most aircraft pumps used in Lowriders are medium pressure pumps, rated at 1,200 to 1,500 PSI. There are a few high pressure pumps rated at approx. 3,000 PSI.

Most Lowrider pumps (lifegate type), sold to Lowriders are approx. 3,000 to 5,000 PSI range.

When using medium pressure aircraft pumps, attention must be given to the overall design of the system. Cylinders, and weight of the vehicle all play a part, as well as the use of the set up. Hopping on medium pressure aircraft pumps is not advised, but for show, they will work.

You can use a 1,000 PSI pump, 1,500 PSI valve and large diameter cylinders on the rear of a car. It will work. Slow but sure. A 1 1/2 inch diameter cylinder at 1000 PSI can lift (in theory) 4,719 pounds. The average car weights about that, unless you add the batteries and passengers.

The key to the system is the weigh of the car and cylinder diameter. If you are looking for speed, then a 3,000 PSI pump at 2.0 HP and 2.0 GPM just might be more desirable.

What I will try to list is pumps and valves that will work for show. There are the old favorites 280 and 777. The reasoning behind this may be that:
1) they work
2) they are/where plentiful
3) they were some of the first pumps used in cars years ago.

One of the many reasons there are favorite or more popular pumps and valves in demand today is that they have withstood the test of time. Years ago, we used anything we could get our hands on. Price and abundance played a large part in our first setups. After a while we learned what worked and what didn't.

There are two thoughts of using aircraft hydraulics:

One school of thought is that you should only use aircraft parts that were first used in Lowriders before the use of the liftgate type pumps. That you should only use Pescos, Adel, Eemco/Stratopowers power packs. And that you must use only Adel or Hydro-aire dump valves. (There were many many other aircraft valves used at that time). You could call this the OG (or classical) look.

The other school of thought is that some riders want something different than industrial type hydraulics made only for Lowriders. And that using aircraft hydraulics is an option if you want something different and unique.

This is another reason for creating this site, to allow you to see the many different types of pumps and valves that will work. To allow you to understand that aircraft hydraulics parts need not all look the same. Many countries around the world have produced aircraft hydraulic parts, that you and I have never seen.

You may come across some people that don't understand or agree with using anything other than the named aircraft parts I have listed above. Yes those parts named above have proven though time to work and last, (unless you were a hopper). As I stated before, the parts that Lowriders used in the early days were parts that were easy and cheap to get. As time went on we learned what parts performed better or lasted longer.

Using Aircraft hydraulic pumps pretty much faded out once the liftgate type became popular. We still used any valve we could get our hands on. Unless you were a hopper, pretty much any valve rated at 3,000 PSI would work. About the only aircraft part that I know of that is suitable for hoppers is the Adel 3-port square dump. The most recognized aircraft hydraulic part used in Lowriders and hoppers. I myself used to use the Hydro-aire #16 two port N.C. valve (AKA Monster Green).

Now lets fast-forward about 20 years. More aircraft surplus parts are coming to market and these don't cost hundreds of dollars. Surplus pumps no one wants. Why? Because riders don't know about them or for some reason they are hesitant to use them. Some of these newer pumps can cost about $50.00 new! Yet I have never seen these pumps mounted in a trunk.

Once riders get over this type of thinking, three things will happen,

1) The so-called fellow Lowrider that sells over priced parts to fellow Lowriders will need to reduce their prices,

2) These unknown aircraft hydraulic parts will gain in value,

3) Riders will learn that it's cool to be different when you use hydraulic parts not seen before.

All in all, install what you like, not what you are told to like. :cool:

Read though this entire post and this is the best post hands down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.