LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

7561 - 7580 of 7614 Posts

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Thanks. Will anything over 48 volts make them go faster and can they handle the voltage?
they cant handle the voltage unless you completely coat the armature in epoxy, otherwise the rpm will destroy the windings. next issue will be the pressure relief valve, even when it is tightened all the way, there is a 2nd and 3rd backup. the 2nd back up is built in, the 3rd is basically a controlled leak. after that, the gasket or seal will basically blow out of the pump. these pumps are only designed to make a maximum of 2400psi. even if you fix or modify every weak point, it will eventually fail in the end. keep in mind, the Pesco pumps we use are late 1930's tech. it wasnt until the 1950's that pumps were able to produce 3000psi without seal failure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks. Will anything over 48 volts make them go faster and can they handle the voltage?
they cant handle the voltage unless you completely coat the armature in epoxy, otherwise the rpm will destroy the windings. next issue will be the pressure relief valve, even when it is tightened all the way, there is a 2nd and 3rd backup. the 2nd back up is built in, the 3rd is basically a controlled leak. after that, the gasket or seal will basically blow out of the pump. these pumps are only designed to make a maximum of 2400psi. even if you fix or modify every weak point, it will eventually fail in the end. keep in mind, the Pesco pumps we use are late 1930's tech. it wasnt until the 1950's that pumps were able to produce 3000psi without seal failure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Love this thread

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Hey Jason

IMO, if you want the speed and not the pressure, consider reducing the pressure valve. Also depending on the weight of the car, rating of the coils and ID of the cylinders.
I have used three different Pescos (4 total) back in the day in my Monte to the nose. And I ran them all on 48 volts, I think the 280 was the one that would blow out. I just made a gasket and used epoxy, but that power pack was never the same.

One thing to consider about my statement what was the condition and charge of the batteries.

If 48VDC is too much, make sure you are not using the 12VDC version of the Pesco

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Looks like LIL is getting slow these days, almost a month with no posts!

Here is an old email from 2013, may or may not be up to date.
LUKY'S hardware in Burbank, CA on Burbank Blvd. ? Military surplus hardware, braided steel lines, possibly some valves.
Also APEX in Sun Valley on San Fernando Blvd. Both places are gold mines of military surplus and more.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
ebay finds

Today I got:
two different power packs
one pump head
found a pesco eq.
got three aircraft valves. Also there are check valves and more three more power packs.

I've been on ebay since they were known as "auction web" about 23 years. There are deals to be found if you know how to look for them and if you take your time.

I was going to write up an article years ago on how to find aircraft parts for lowriders, but as you know my site was hacked and I learned not to give away my system for finding lowrider aircraft hydraulics.

I collect odd valves and other types of power packs, if you have any LMK. Sell or share.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
There is a pesco motor (uses the 777) but the guy wants too much.
Somebody got three nice looking 280 pesco power packs for 900.00 plus shipping, a little high for me.

There is a company called aircraftstock always avoid these a** holes, they don't care for Lowriders, plus shipping fees are too high.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
The cylinders are aircraft. They look like Jets as I first used this type in the 70's
Home made cups
The pump I noticed the pump head is a Pesco 398 a lower pressure pump. On the motor is looks like a Bendix, I have not seen this type. If I am correct it looks like that to me. What does the data tag say?

Over all they appear to be a lower pressure setup. How did the '59 lift up?

If you want to sell these email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
here's the data tag, it's a 24 volt Pesco motor. Doesn't have a manufactured date stamp on it, just serial number, volts and RPM
pesco2.png
We didn't care so much about how FAST a car went up and down back then, we just cared THAT it went up and down.
I also have a low pressure Tailgate pump from back then.
As for selling them, I'm open to an offer.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
they cant handle the voltage unless you completely coat the armature in epoxy, otherwise the rpm will destroy the windings.
I have noticed that epoxy and baking soda might be another way to coat.

7561 - 7580 of 7614 Posts