LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
I'm working my brain off trying to figure out the best way to add airride to my small, strut-equipped car.
I've checked out almost all the maker out there but - obviously - nobody makes an airstrut for my car, so I was thinkin about the EAI universal airstrut kit... basically they just sell u the bag (that replace the coil on the stock strut) and some kind of brakets that are supposed to keep the bag from fallin off....
did any of u ever tried thisones out?
you know i still have to figure out where these brakets r supposed to be welded and i'm afraid they'll just brake the first corner i do.....
and driving just straight is not an option. :(

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
They SUCK!!!!!!! You get a very small drop and in my opinion it is not worth it. Is your strut assembly similar to a honda? If so get some Air cylinders and fab up a set of brackets. The top brackets will be flat and round with a couple holes and the bottom rears would be a "U" shape with a nut welded on. The front would be a lil hard though but not to hard. i'll look for a couple pics

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually my car is nothin like a honda... in another post I mentioned a "civic" just to give u guys the idea o fthe overall dimension... I know my car is not exported outside europe, I don't think you've never seen it..... to my knowledge, the suspension system is very similar to the toyota matrix's... I should give it a look and see if I can make those strut from Air Lift company work....

as far as the limited drop you mention, a guy from EAI told me the stock lift of those "bags" is 8 1/4 and the maximum height is 10 inches, but nothin about the bag lenght when deflated.... maybe i should ask him about that, should I? :uh:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Its what i used on mine but i have blown the seal on th e bottom of two bags but they replaced them.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm, i wonder if that's the same stuff the guys at EAI sell...
well i think i'll just grab a couple of them when i come over next mont, bring them back and see how they work out.

i just wanted to thank everyone that has helped me out in this forum, it's really a good place to be.
thanks again ;)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by purpl7duece@Aug 13 2003, 02:55 PM
They SUCK!!!!!!! You get a very small drop and in my opinion it is not worth it. Is your strut assembly similar to a honda? If so get some Air cylinders and fab up a set of brackets. The top brackets will be flat and round with a couple holes and the bottom rears would be a "U" shape with a nut welded on. The front would be a lil hard though but not to hard. i'll look for a couple pics
the three layer bags get like a 6 inch raise from totally dropped. and if its not low enough when the bags are totally compressed, then you simply cut out the strut mount on the car and raise it up however high you want/can and cut some steel to weld it back to the car at the raised height.

Pardon the crude drawing

---
--- <Stock position

---
¨U¨U <steel to fill in gap to make taller
---

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Bumps N Jumps@Aug 18 2003, 05:21 PM

the three layer bags get like a 6 inch raise from totally dropped. and if its not low enough when the bags are totally compressed, then you simply cut out the strut mount on the car and raise it up however high you want/can and cut some steel to weld it back to the car at the raised height.

Pardon the crude drawing

---
--- <Stock position

---
---
actually i think the purpose of it would be to go as low as possible, and with a 6 " lift have enough room for clearing all the bumps on the road.
The mod on the strut then should involve the cuttin of the spring saddle, then put a flat washer thingy in place of it at the desired height...
I suppose welding on the tube is out of the question (boiling oil?!?) so the best would be to have some sort of clamp just to keep it from falling off.
But this is just too much talking without the necessary experience... gotta see it first!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by iamfromitaly@Aug 13 2003, 03:55 PM
actually my car is nothin like a honda... in another post I mentioned a "civic" just to give u guys the idea o fthe overall dimension... I know my car is not exported outside europe, I don't think you've never seen it..... to my knowledge, the suspension system is very similar to the toyota matrix's... I should give it a look and see if I can make those strut from Air Lift company work....

as far as the limited drop you mention, a guy from EAI told me the stock lift of those "bags" is 8 1/4 and the maximum height is 10 inches, but nothin about the bag lenght when deflated.... maybe i should ask him about that, should I? :uh:
IF YOUR USE BAGS YOU SHOULD GET A MEAN DROP AND OR THE EAI CYLNDERS ARE GREAT AND I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE MOST BRACKETRY THAT SHOULD BE SIMALER TO YOUR CAR SINCE IF A MC PHERSON STRUST SYSTEM BUT THEY BAY GIVE A GREAT RIDE PLUS THEY WARRENTIED

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by iamfromitaly+Aug 19 2003, 04:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (iamfromitaly @ Aug 19 2003, 04:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bumps N Jumps@Aug 18 2003, 05:21 PM

the three layer bags get like a 6 inch raise from totally dropped.  and if its not low enough when the bags are totally compressed, then you simply cut out the strut mount on the car and raise it up however high you want/can and cut some steel to weld it back to the car at the raised height.

Pardon the crude drawing

---
---   <Stock position

---
---
actually i think the purpose of it would be to go as low as possible, and with a 6 " lift have enough room for clearing all the bumps on the road.
The mod on the strut then should involve the cuttin of the spring saddle, then put a flat washer thingy in place of it at the desired height...
I suppose welding on the tube is out of the question (boiling oil?!?) so the best would be to have some sort of clamp just to keep it from falling off.
But this is just too much talking without the necessary experience... gotta see it first![/b][/quote]
I wasnt suggesting to weld on the strut itself. Its hardened steel. I was talking about on the car whee the strut mounts to up top. I know a couple people who have had to do that to lay frame. Next summer Im prolly gonna have to do that too cus I wanna lay frame on my van, I still have about two inches from the bottom of my van and the ground.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Bumps N Jumps@Aug 20 2003, 10:59 AM
I wasnt suggesting to weld on the strut itself. Its hardened steel. I was talking about on the car whee the strut mounts to up top. I know a couple people who have had to do that to lay frame. Next summer Im prolly gonna have to do that too cus I wanna lay frame on my van, I still have about two inches from the bottom of my van and the ground.
ok got that now. ;)
as a matter of fact, made some calculation and i should find myself at about 1" 1/2 from the ground w/o changing the upper mount position with 15" rims...
r u sure u have clearance on the wheel well if u go lower? on a strut car u can't just cut it off, can you? :dunno:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by iamfromitaly+Aug 20 2003, 02:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (iamfromitaly @ Aug 20 2003, 02:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bumps N Jumps@Aug 20 2003, 10:59 AM
I wasnt suggesting to weld on the strut itself.  Its hardened steel.  I was talking about on the car whee the strut mounts to up top.  I know a couple people who have had to do that to lay frame.  Next summer Im prolly gonna have to do that too cus I wanna lay frame on my van, I still have about two inches from the bottom of my van and the ground.
ok got that now. ;)
as a matter of fact, made some calculation and i should find myself at about 1" 1/2 from the ground w/o changing the upper mount position with 15" rims...
r u sure u have clearance on the wheel well if u go lower? on a strut car u can't just cut it off, can you? :dunno:[/b][/quote]
Im not sure. I should be fine with the bags. Id like to lay frame, but next summers project is either chop the top make it convertible and put a dj booth right behind the drivers and pass seat, or gut the interior and give it the limo look with a big wrap around bench seat and redo the stereoand air ride. Well see, right now im focusing on school. And winning that caddi on saturday!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
allright, goodluck with yr caddi then! ;)
hope to see u here with the new ride and new ideas! :) :) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts