LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whas is the best way to go.....did u have to get a new tranny...long or short tranny, what kinda tranny help me out

mine is a 1984 fleetwood with a stock 4100

how hard was the conversion 1-10
if u can, can someone explain in some detail what they did exactly with some problems, like the motor mount problem for instance, thanks

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i hope sumone responds..i have an 83 with a 4100 and im also going to swap in a 350 soon...my brother told me that when he asked a mechanic how the swap would go for his 85 fleetwood ,he said he could use the same tranny..i cant wait to have it in and running smooth..right now its just sitting with a bad camshaft...it would cost me 500 installed to get it fixed...but my best bet is to save up sum more $ and do the swap ill be better off in the long run..peace out man..good luck

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
in order to use your stock transmission you will have to find an Olds, Pontiac or Buick 350
now they do have conversion kits to fit a caddy tranny to a chevy 350 otherwise you'll need a chevy tranny too!
You'll need to find some motormounts from 90's fleetwood, I could be wrong thoug
hope this helps, but I'm sure a real caddy expert will set the record straight

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
GMS 350's are way diffrent then a chevy.....GMS are a what some call big block cause there WIDE.....not like a chevy ....you would need like a buick off of a rivi....but shit if your going to put a chevy 350..if i where you...i might as well put a 350 chevy and a 700R with overdrive and just make the mounts for the motor..can cut the driveline to fit cause no matter what.....your bascilly going have to do some of that....

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Aug 1 2003, 04:24 PM
in order to use your stock transmission you will have to find an Olds, Pontiac or Buick 350
now they do have conversion kits to fit a caddy tranny to a chevy 350 otherwise you'll need a chevy tranny too!
You'll need to find some motormounts from 90's fleetwood, I could be wrong thoug
I have a pontiac 350, would that bolt up with the original tranny?

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Originally posted by sneakyboy1+Aug 1 2003, 09:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sneakyboy1 @ Aug 1 2003, 09:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--trudawg@Aug 1 2003, 04:24 PM
I have a pontiac 350, would that bolt up with the original tranny?[/b][/quote]
I think it would.....but all you have to do is ask your local mechanic

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the cadillac shares a frame with the caprice. all you need is motor mounts, and possibly, but not certainly the driveshaft. You'll also have better luck just using a chevy tranny instead ot trying to mess with all this adapter mess.

·
Banned
8,749 Posts
Originally posted by MRIMPALA2000510@Aug 1 2003, 05:44 PM
GMS 350's are way diffrent then a chevy.....GMS are a what some call big block cause there WIDE.....not like a chevy ....you would need like a buick off of a rivi....but shit if your going to put a chevy 350..if i where you...i might as well put a 350 chevy and a 700R with overdrive and just make the mounts for the motor..can cut the driveline to fit cause no matter what.....your bascilly going have to do some of that....
yep

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
i ssmember forwardput a 350 olds in my 84 coupe. It wasn't too difficult. I'd say about a 5 on the 1-10 scale. If you use the 350 turbo trsns you will have to move your trans crossmember forward

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by pinno@Aug 2 2003, 06:28 PM
do you need to change out the gas tank float if you have a elecrtonic fuel pump or is there a way to bypass it ?
THE CLEANEST AND CORRECT WAY TO DO THE CONVERSION IS TO BUY AN EARLIER NON-FUEL INJECTED GAS TANK. IT USES A DIFFERENT SENDING UNIT AND IT HAS NO INTERNAL FUEL PUMP. THEY ARE CHEAP AFTERMARKET TANKS ARE USUALLY AROUND 150 BUCKS.

JUST MAKE SURE ITS FOR A NON FUEL INJECTED MODEL.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Originally posted by WaitingForTheSun+Aug 3 2003, 06:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WaitingForTheSun @ Aug 3 2003, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--pinno@Aug 2 2003, 06:28 PM
do you need to change out the gas tank float if you have a elecrtonic fuel pump or is there a way to bypass it ?
THE CLEANEST AND CORRECT WAY TO DO THE CONVERSION IS TO BUY AN EARLIER NON-FUEL INJECTED GAS TANK. IT USES A DIFFERENT SENDING UNIT AND IT HAS NO INTERNAL FUEL PUMP. THEY ARE CHEAP AFTERMARKET TANKS ARE USUALLY AROUND 150 BUCKS.

JUST MAKE SURE ITS FOR A NON FUEL INJECTED MODEL.[/b][/quote]
Ive done the swap twice . im just saying the quickest way you could also just take out the relay under the dash mine had the 4100 it was on its last leg so i took the motor out of my cutlass hopper trans and all it was my first time ever taking out an engine .

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Now its got a 305 chevy it wasnt any harder to do just make sure you use an overdrive trans. and clean up the wires on the firewall . Oh yeah OG caddy no disrespect to what you were saying just giving my way . i aint got all the time and money to do things the show way [got a 97 Caddy STS to work on too] just tryin for a clean weekend car. you in NC ? cant wait to see the caddy with the pescos at the shows

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Aug 3 2003, 09:36 PM
Now its got a 305 chevy it wasnt any harder to do just make sure you use an overdrive trans. and clean up the wires on the firewall . Oh yeah OG caddy no disrespect to what you were saying just giving my way . i aint got all the time and money to do things the show way [got a 97 Caddy STS to work on too] just tryin for a clean weekend car. you in NC ? cant wait to see the caddy with the pescos at the shows
Im not going with Pesco's on my caddy, just some nice custom gates, I am saving the Pesco's for a different car. :cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm just in the job right now ! swappin a chevy 350 4 bolts

first I had to moove the two motor mounts for about 1/2 inch upper.
Then the cross member isn't fittin at is original place, you a have to put new holes in the frame : normally the cross is like dat under the car ------- but now with the fittin he'st like that / .
then I had to buy a new tranny mounts to fix it right (35$)

You better watch out where you place the engine cuz It has to be not to far for the fan and not to deep for the oil pan.

Seriously it's a big job with a lot of fitting but IT WILL BE DONE ! ;)

I just bought the 350 with the tranny cuz gm and chevy's aren't the same at all. Even the holes in the frame where you put the motor mounts aren't at the good place. For the motor mounts I keeped my original cadillac on the frame and used the 350 chevy'z on the engine and it was ok.

My next step is to do the electikal wire but before Ihave to replace the radiator, fixin a new carbs and installin a new fuel pump.

Then I think that monday I'll jump into that wirin shit !

Euh! I forgot, I need a new driveshaft and I had two options : 1- cuttin my old one (cadillac original), shorter, buyin new joints and FINDIN the right YOK ( the thing that goes into the trans) for about 100$ or, 2- buyin a new driveshaft with everything new from the joints to the yok and the tubing for 250$ installed !

Last things, swappin a chevy small block into your cadillac is a nice look for it but it's a long and hard job when YOU DO IT YOURSELF !
Soon I have my camera numerik I'LL post the pics !!!!!!be prepared ;)
;)

H

·
0 Posts
ok here we go!
i put a 350 in my caddy with the stock 200r4 that comes in caddys with a 4100!!! the chevy 350 will bolt up to this trans!
now all you need to do is cut off the stock motor mounts and get ones at a patrs store for a passenger car with a chevy 350(monte carlo,caprice)
then put the motor mounts on the engines mounts then drop it in bolt the tranny up then tack weld the mounts to the frame.them take out the motor mount bolt pull engine back out then fully weld the mount to the frame!!
(make sure the trans stays in the car!!!)

H

·
0 Posts
if you have an eletric fuel pump just get the tank from a caddy with the carbed 307 and you will be fine
i drop my 350 in my caddy and had it running i 3 days!

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
MINE WAS RUNNING IN 3 DAYS AS WELL..JUST MOVED THE MOTOR MOUNTS,TRANS MOUNT AND TIED IN A LITTLE WIRING AND VROOOOMMMMMM..I WAS ROLLING :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts