LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got a regal and its painted all ready whats the best grit to wet sand and repaint to throw silver base?? whats the best

·
Registered
716 Posts
The most common misconception is that you need to prime your entire car before you paint it, regardless of the condition of the original paint. Primer is used to cover bodywork, or bare metal. Primer goes over these things to give you a surface to wetsand smooth to perfection. If you can wetsand you existing paint to perfection, then there is no need to prime. I see a lot of people priming there whole car for no reason. Oh yeah...to answer your question...600grit wet to prep your car, ok. Hope this helps.

Drew

Last edited by Illustrious Auto Works at Oct 14 2003, 06:17 PM

·
Registered
343 Posts
paint will stick better to sanded paint than it will to primer or bare metal, so unless the car has 5 or 6 paint jobs wetsanding the old paint will work great aslong as it isnt damaged

·
Registered
138 Posts
600 Grit wetsand will work. You don't have to primer the entire car as long as you know you can trust the existing paint not to chip or flake off underneath. Sanding to bare metal and applying primer block sanding is better so that you can see what lies underneath, (rust, waves, or bad bodywork) but it is not always necessary.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by impala67@Oct 15 2003, 09:59 AM
600 Grit wetsand will work. You don't have to primer the entire car as long as you know you can trust the existing paint not to chip or flake off underneath. Sanding to bare metal and applying primer block sanding is better so that you can see what lies underneath, (rust, waves, or bad bodywork) but it is not always necessary.
i agree completely---------- :biggrin:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but is it tru the primer sucks up more paint . im ganna repaint the ho car but i primed all the body work .........?

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by eViL?mOnEyZ@Oct 16 2003, 12:26 PM
but is it tru the primer sucks up more paint . im ganna repaint the ho car but i primed all the body work .........?
you prime where you have repaired...sand it down to level and feather in the edges... i dont really think the primer is going to suck up more paint...i havent ever heard of this happening

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Illustrious Auto Works@Oct 15 2003, 02:14 AM
The most common misconception is that you need to prime your entire car before you paint it, regardless of the condition of the original paint. Primer is used to cover bodywork, or bare metal. Primer goes over these things to give you a surface to wetsand smooth to perfection. If you can wetsand you existing paint to perfection, then there is no need to prime. I see a lot of people priming there whole car for no reason. Oh yeah...to answer your question...600grit wet to prep your car, ok. Hope this helps.

Drew
well said good advice in this topic........

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** Here is why I use primer:

I use a high build primer to fill in small scratches in the underlaying paint/bodywork...

You use "Etch Primer" to cover bare metal,,

I use a sandable primer also for a uniform/smooth base when painting ... you dont always get paid to do a really good job & use primer sealer that act as a uniform base for a base coat of paint.....

The factory paint is the best primer to start with , if you can just scuff & spray the car -- more power to you ... but,
Sometimes you cant get good coverage from a cheap paint.. if you have some spots where there is bodywork or where there you might have sanded thru the top color --- sometimes you will need to have a solid color to start off with .......I think I expained it good ...BOB_T

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Oct 20 2003, 03:28 AM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts