LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody who knows how big an alernator a buick regal 79 301 v8 normally uses ( the car is without aircon) .
at the moment it is equipped with a 61 amp alt. and 60 amp bat. (both new) and it wont charge the bat. completely... like when I turn on the wipers or the heater the bat. is distarged slowly... shit...
could it be a bad battery? or some fucked up wiring??
:(

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Take the batt to an auto parts store and have them test it, free. If its ok move on to the alt and have them check that too. If thats coo then the wiring from the alt to the batt is screwed somewhere. Or just say fuk it all and install a One Wire alternator for around $80, and never worry about the wiring ever. Have them checked first though. :cheesy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like when i hit the brakes and brake lights go on the ammeter shows a little discharge . then when hittin´the gas it charges but the needle never moves all the way up to the top...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
man, i had the exact same problem till Monday when i spent 5-6 hours removing and installing alternators and testing them on my cadillac (1980).

now, i had the exact problem, except everything dimmed when i touched the brakes, radio, windows, A/C, etc. mine came with a 65 amp alternator (stock) but i put a 160 on. i'd recommend you put a more powerful alternator on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Jun 25 2003, 02:07 PM
Take the batt to an auto parts store and have them test it, free. If its ok move on to the alt and have them check that too. If thats coo then the wiring from the alt to the batt is screwed somewhere. Or just say fuk it all and install a One Wire alternator for around $80, and never worry about the wiring ever. Have them checked first though. :cheesy:
something to think about.. If your wiring is screwed (and you're testing the alternator on the car) then your alternator will give a low reading. make sure the resistance between the + terminals on your alternator and battery are next to 0.

did you check the water level in the battery?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Also make sure that the belt tension is tight. My battery was drained one time while I was driving with a freshly rebuilt Alternator and when I took it to the Electrical shop all they did was tighten the belt real tight and my Volt gauge shot up to 14 volts while the car was on. That was it. But like someone mentioned go have the battery and the alternator tested. But if the gauge shows that the alternator is charging a lil then it may be the batt. GO TEST THE 2 THINGS AND GO FROM THERE....

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
has this problem been going on since you go the car? when did it start? did you put anything in (a system, amp, etc.) to make it start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the problem was there when i got the car.. didnt put anything in it . even not a radio... - it should not be using more than those 60 amps... :(

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
first take your car to auto zone, o'reillys, etc. and get them to test the alternator and battery (they do it while you wait of course)... then you'll see what the problem is.

tell us if it's the battery or alternator that's bad and we'll help you from there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
can i just disconnect the negative bat post to test the alt. ?? if the engine goes dead its the alt ?? or what??

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
nonononono, don't disconnect anything. you have to have the right equipment. take it to any mechanic or even a place that sells car parts, like Auto Zone, and they'll test it for you and tell you if its the alternator or battery

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay wont do that...
Hey man I cant take it to Auto Zone.... I live in Denmark... scandinavia..you know... :biggrin:
one of few people down with lowriders in Denmark.. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sup
I got a 79 Regal Limited with 301 v8 in it too. It came with a 61amp alt, my electrical system is f'd up too. The Batt Gen light comes on in the dash when I drive. I put a brand new 61amp stock alt in there. I got it tested, something else is going bad, maybe regulator or something, I plan to put in a new battery and take it to the shop... Also if you buy from O'Reilly's, the 85amp alt they got for the Regal doesnt fit because I bought it and had to take it back. And Im also having a problem with the power brake system, around the master cyclinder, bunch of little leaks around hoses and shitt.. so check that cause I think we got the same damn cars..

Holla
[email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
havnt have any problems with the brakes..
but we have the same f..... problem with the alt...dammit!!
ill send you a pic of my wiring to compare ....
i think my (brand new) alt is fucked... or some wires..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i got a brand new 80 amp alternator a month ago and every time i hit the break my whole system distortes from not having enough power and now my batt light is always on time to go get a 110 amp at shucks

·
\m/ WTF? FTW! \m/
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by 80deville@Aug 2 2003, 02:21 PM
i got a brand new 80 amp alternator a month ago and every time i hit the break my whole system distortes from not having enough power and now my batt light is always on time to go get a 110 amp at shucks
MUST BE THE VISOR.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts