LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up? I'm trying to decide on what type of heads to get for my '69 Impala (350cid). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by bouncy_like_tigger@Jan 18 2004, 08:11 PM
Cast iron make more power cuz aluminum heads attract heat more....

And cast iron heads are chepaer , and easier to find.
Not really homie. :cool:

Racing or high powered street/strip engines use Aluminum heads because you can run a higher compression ratio on lower octane fuel due to the fact that aluminum dissapates heat better. For example, if u were building a 400HP small block that ran about 10.5 to 1 compression, it would be difficult to run that on 93 octane fuel without detanation on cast iron heads. Aluminum heads however, could be run and due to the extra heat dissapation, it would be possible to run on 93 octane. :cool:

IN YOUR CASE, i would just run cast iron heads. You aren't building a race car or a street/strip car (I'm guessing its a lowrider ;) ) so the aluminum heads aren't necessary.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0+Jan 18 2004, 10:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe5pt0 @ Jan 18 2004, 10:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--bouncy_like_tigger@Jan 18 2004, 08:11 PM
Cast iron make more power cuz aluminum heads attract heat more....

And cast iron heads are chepaer , and easier to find.
Not really homie. :cool:

Racing or high powered street/strip engines use Aluminum heads because you can run a higher compression ratio on lower octane fuel due to the fact that aluminum dissapates heat better. For example, if u were building a 400HP small block that ran about 10.5 to 1 compression, it would be difficult to run that on 93 octane fuel without detanation on cast iron heads. Aluminum heads however, could be run and due to the extra heat dissapation, it would be possible to run on 93 octane. :cool:

IN YOUR CASE, i would just run cast iron heads. You aren't building a race car or a street/strip car (I'm guessing its a lowrider ;) ) so the aluminum heads aren't necessary.[/b][/quote]
summed up very nicely :)

Would you happen to know how much lighter they would be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts