LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had this amp for about 2 years and i've never had a problem with it. i always had it bridged and hooked up to 1 jl audio 12 w3. last night i bought 2 12" volven(something or another) for 50 bucks and hooked them up bridged. it banged for about 5 minutes and then went silent. when i opened the trunk, the amp was hot and the protection light was on. i let it cool and still nothing. the fuses aren't blown and when i turn the car on the speakers make a low tick noise every 3 to 5 seconds. can anybody help me out ?

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 12:40 PM
is it salvageable?  how do i repair it and how much does it normally cost?
[snapback]3514527[/snapback]​
it shouldn't be broken...just wire it properly and it should work.

that's why it goes into "PROTECTION" mode.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 09:52 AM
i've had this amp for about 2 years and i've never had a problem with it.  i always had it bridged and hooked up to 1 jl audio 12 w3.  last night i bought 2 12" volven(something or another) for 50 bucks and hooked them up bridged.  it banged for about 5 minutes and then went silent.  when i opened the trunk, the amp was hot and the protection light was on.  i let it cool and still nothing.  the fuses aren't blown and when i turn the car on the speakers make a low tick noise every 3 to 5 seconds.    can anybody help me out ?
[snapback]3514352[/snapback]​

Yup too low of an ohm load, post up the configuration or in the least a model number for the subs and a pic of how they are hooked up.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 01:02 PM
it's constantly in protection mode now.  i hooked it back up to the JL and still in protection
[snapback]3514643[/snapback]​
you need to tell us how it's wired. and what ohm ALL your subs are.

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
originally the amp was bridged to a single voice coil JL. after it shut off with the 12's i hooked one channel back to the JL. it stayed in protection so i disconnected the speaker wires completely and it's still in protection mode

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i took the new 12's out the box and they are wired regular, positive to positive and neg to neg. the other voice coil is not even plugged in. i took the fuses out the amp and put them back in and still protection mode. so anybody know how much it costs to fix these sorts of problems?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 12:52 PM
i've had this amp for about 2 years and i've never had a problem with it.  i always had it bridged and hooked up to 1 jl audio 12 w3.  last night i bought 2 12" volven(something or another) for 50 bucks and hooked them up bridged .
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 12:52 PM
i took the new 12's out the box and they are wired regular, positive to positive and neg to neg. the other voice coil is not even plugged in. i took the fuses out the amp and put them back in and still protection mode. so anybody know how much it costs to fix these sorts of problems?
that doesnt sound bridged to me...it sounds like your using both channels of the amp

are the subs dual voice coil?

the other guys are right, your not matching up with the ohm... you might need to take it all unplug completely (hot, ground, REM) and re-connect...

0qs

·
* MODERATOR*
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by caddyking@Jul 31 2005, 08:33 PM
i took the new 12's out the box and they are wired regular, positive to positive and neg to neg. 
the other voice coil is not even plugged in.  i took the fuses out the amp and put them back in and still protection mode.  so anybody know how much it costs to fix these sorts of problems?
[snapback]3516522[/snapback]​
That's what worries me...

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when I had only one speaker hooked up, i had the left+ and right- hooked up to it(4 ohms right) when i put the 2 12's in there all i did was add a wire to each positive and neg and ran them to both speakers...so it was 2 wires from the L+ going to each speaker positive and 2 wires from the R- going to each speaker negative. i don't know why that would cause the amp to overheat

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LOL WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

okay bud...thats not how you wire them...

no fucking wonder it went into protection

what ohm is each sub???
are the subs dual voice coil or single voice coil???

answer and we'll tell you how to wire them....

-qs

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Jul 31 2005, 09:16 PM
LOL WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

okay bud...thats not how you wire them...

no fucking wonder it went into protection

what ohm is each sub???
are the subs dual voice coil or single voice coil???

answer and we'll tell you how to wire them....
-qs
[snapback]3517042[/snapback]​
that's like the 3rd or 4th time we've asked that question, ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Jul 31 2005, 10:32 PM
that's like the 3rd or 4th time we've asked that question,  ;)
[snapback]3517154[/snapback]​
i just read through and noticed that, i guess he's not reading with understanding....

-qs

·
The Garbageman
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm not sure what ohm they are. it's the dual voice coil 1000w volvenhag

[attachmentid=230093]

i know they are not the best, but both in a box cost me 60 bucks. the wires on the inside of the box terminal only go to one of the coils, the other voice coil on the speakers is not being used. i thought i been answering the questions you guys asked but i guess i didn't understand. my bad.

thanks for the help though

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts