LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another idea, I do some of my best thinking after a few 12oz’s

Just a thought to kick around some, for some of the sharp minds here on LIL.

Real fast, no drawings yet:

You run 8-10 batteries. Say you have a plate holding down your batteries, this plate is in two pieces. You bolt each battery cable to the outer part of this plate. The center part of this plate has contacts. There is a second plate that sits inside of this plate, that then connects each of the batteries together. The plate allows the batteries to sit in parallel voltage. By moving or flipping this plate around, you then have series voltage to any set amount, like 96 volts to the front and 24 for the back.

The benefits:

One charger charges them all, then like quick disconnects, you flip the plate over for the hopping voltage. The plate is also used as the battery hold down.

Comments???

·
Registered
712 Posts
so to do this flip you would have to remove all of the cables that are connected to the plate?

seems like a lot of work without any real benefit.

switching hopping voltage really isn't that much of a hassle. you just need to think your things through before connecting things the first time.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by juiced@Jul 25 2005, 07:06 PM
so to do this flip you would have to remove all of the cables that are connected to the plate?

seems like a lot of work without any real benefit.

switching hopping voltage really isn't that much of a hassle. you just need to think your things through before connecting things the first time.
[snapback]3477934[/snapback]​
That's the best part of this idea, there are two plates, the cables are not in the way, they bolt to the outter part of the main plate. The main plate is about 6-8" wide. The inner plate is what makes (and how) the contact is made between the batterys. The center plate is the key to making this work.

You would undo four bolts (or locks), flip the plate over and then reconnect the four bolts. Might take 1-2 minutes for all ten batteries. Plus it would look real clean.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
if the plate is the hold down then it is bolted down to the battery rack correct? if so the battery rack is welded to the frame which in turn grounds it....so if you have voltage going through the plate that would be a really big short and lots of sparks just my 2 cents

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.....

Didn't think about that one.

But I'm sure just like the power terminal on the motor that passes through the metal casing, something will fix this. :biggrin:

Thanks Ridenlow84

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
no problem homey i bet there is a way of doing it though with some kind of non conductive material

·
Registered
712 Posts
i need to see pics of this idea.

the way i look at it the chances of the "power bar" touching the ground is inevitable.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by juiced@Jul 25 2005, 07:45 PM
i need to see pics of this idea.

the way i look at it the chances of the "power bar" touching the ground is inevitable.
[snapback]3478250[/snapback]​
My CAD program sucks.

Volv_lo is going to draw it out for me and have a "Hot Idea" section in his next book, The Science of Hydraulic Suspension, right Richard?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts