LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any guidlines on hopping running 84, 96, or 120 volts and not burning the motor up after a few licks?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by hopn78regal@Jan 4 2004, 06:36 PM
ask paco
paco told me everytime he goes above 72 volts his solenoids go bye bye.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
well, good luck.

it seems to be sorta hit or miss. sometimes solenoids fry for no real reason, no matter what you do! but for starters, grind the metal clean that the solenoids mount to, use nice heavy gauge wiring, keep your batteries charged, and if you have an expensive dump, put a fuse on it just in case!

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Originally posted by Skuce2@Jan 5 2004, 04:09 AM
My recomendation:

Keep an Electrical Class Fire Extinguisher with you all the time ;)
GREAT idea! i lost a custom back seat because i didnt act fast enough with mine!

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by Montey C@Jan 4 2004, 06:33 PM
Does anybody have any guidlines on hopping running 84, 96, or 120 volts and not burning the motor up after a few licks?
Call me at the shop tomorrow... ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
I run my setup at 60 volts, and I go through soleniods like crazy... I have Marzoochi #11 pump heads and it's kinda slow... I want to get some #9 or #7 heads to replace them... My last setup had #7 heads and it would pull the front tires off the ground about 6" with 1 lick... :cool:

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
lowlow90 runs his at 84 volts and has not burnt a solenoid in a year or so. he said to never hit it when the batts are low and always make sure voltage matches on all batts after you charge and use the proper amount of solenoids to voltage

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies guys, but I don't have a problem with the solenoids, its the motors that don't last long. I've been hopping my car on 84 volts and the motor is about to go at anytime time.

Vegas I'll be calling.... :biggrin:

O

·
0 Posts
as will i, mark i gonna be need to get some parts pretty quick too

i give you a call this week, im trying to finish up that frame

·
Registered
544 Posts
i use open end plates with a cooling fan and try not to ride the switch the motors shoulddo just fine. plus use saco i find that they cool a little faster than prestolites with the cooling fan

·
Registered
544 Posts
and sometimes when you overtighten the pumphead at a high voltage it will create drag and make the motor work a lot harder

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Originally posted by Montey C@Jan 5 2004, 09:44 AM
thanks for the replies guys, but I don't have a problem with the solenoids, its the motors that don't last long. I've been hopping my car on 84 volts and the motor is about to go at anytime time.

what kind of motors have you tried?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by CP+Jan 6 2004, 06:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CP @ Jan 6 2004, 06:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Montey C@Jan 5 2004, 09:44 AM

what kind of motors have you tried?[/b][/quote]
I use sacos, i know there was a post a long while back about which is probably in the archives now about doing somethiing to your motor to help it last longer.

Vegas gave me a couple of pointers. so i'll just have to try those and see :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
The best advise IU can give is clean the motors out after every comp. and use a cooling fan beside making surethe batteries are charged. Oh and don't hold the switch. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts