LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its going to be my 1st candy job I just wanted to know the do'S and don't'S so I can feel at ease while doing it I seen a couple people cars that have candy not turn out right so if anybody can teach this newbie something I would grately appreciate it

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I pretty much get it I thought it was hard as shit but 1st paint job I did better than I expected just had a fucked up gun shooting the primer and had a couple runs but it came out good but I just wanted to know like primer west sand base coat then what or how do you guys do it

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yea I pretty much get it I thought it was hard as shit but 1st paint job I did better than I expected just had a fucked up gun shooting the primer and had a couple runs but it came out good but I just wanted to know like primer west sand base coat then what or how do you guys do it
:squint: I don't get anything you just said.... But what color of candy and color of base will make or brake a difference!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
depends on alot, is the car gonna have flake,patterns??
but if its a solid..
wetsand primer with 400grit, shoot 1 coat of overall sealer, wait 30 minutes, base the whole car. wait 15-20 minutes between coats, after all car is based, mix your candy and give even coats, dont stop, walk around the whole car with an even coat, 50-75% overlap let flash 15-20 minutes between coats, once your happy with the overall color, clear it,
if you get dark spots your fucked, time to buy all new materials :cool:

:squint: I don't get anything you just said.... But what color of candy and color of base will make or brake a difference!!
:yes: base closest to overall color is easier to shoot. so candy red, red or pink base, ,candy blue ..blue case.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Nice tips on help

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
but if its a solid..
wetsand primer with 400grit, shoot 1 coat of overall sealer, wait 30 minutes, base the whole car. wait 15-20 minutes between coats, after all car is based, mix your candy and give even coats, dont stop, walk around the whole car with an even coat, 50-75% overlap let flash 15-20 minutes between coats, once your happy with the overall color, clear it,

:yes: base closest to overall color is easier to shoot. so candy red, red or pink base, ,candy blue ..blue case.
Do you suggest over-reducing the
first coat of candy to help it not start off blotchy?
If so, how much do you over-reduce it?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my advice is your first couple of jobs should pair similar colors together. do an oriental blue base and a like a blueberry candy or violet or something. the more dramatic the contrast between base and candy the harder it is to apply if you have no experience (like candy red over silver or gold). the similar color base to candy will hide some of the train tracking, blotchyness, and dark overlaps better than a high contrast combo, and still have a nice deep effect. your candy highlights wont pop as much but it will still look good... i suggest getting a candy how to video like kosmoski's "kustom painting made easy" youll get a better understanding of what to do by a pro....

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
but if its a solid..

Good info,but At least 75% overlap,at a faster rate of application than base,and not as heavy,better to go lighter coats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.