LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Don't Hate
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know if you guys know of any TC's on cut springs? I want to drop my 93 a little bit till I get some hydros. How many coils should I do? Probably 1 coil right? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
Do not cut factory springs. It changes the spring load rate and can cause spring failure like collapsing and breaking of the coil. If you want to lower it properly, buy some lowering springs or wait until you do the hydraulics. For the amount of work it takes to take em out, cut em, and put back together its just not worth sacrificing safety, ride quality, and having alignment issues. For what its worth, I've had a car with cut springs and highly recomend against it. Had 1 spring crack up into 3 pieces and 2 springs collapse amlost completely. Could have been fatal if that 1cracked one had come out of place on the highway.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
Those 14's should lower the car a bit just because they're smaller than the stocks. I had a buddy that used the clamps and it rode like crap. Check craigslist, ebay, town car sites for some used lowering springs. For those clamps, here's what you will get: Crappy ride, tons of noise, won't have full suspension travel, raised spring rate ratio means you will feel every bump in the road, and with the coils clamped together you will effectively be weakening them. Personally i'd rate those clamps as worse that cutting coils. If anyone buys a car with clamped springs, i'd highly suggest pulling the springs with clamps out and tossing both the springs with the clamps, don't even bother using a spring compressor to try to take the clamps off.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
I heated up my springs to lower my car? Jus bounces a lil more but if you dnt mind it's a cheap way to lower your car?
It's also a great way to wear out your shocks/struts, put uneven wear on your tires, have the springs crack and fail, end up in an accident, kill yourself or others, and be on the wrong end of a lawsuit. But yeah, good thing you saved some money because spending $150 for some lowering springs and smooth riding/safe vehicle is just silly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts