LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a local guy that wants to pay me to help him drop bags in his monte.. claims he has a bolt in kit.. kit says only thing that needs welding is the front upper shock mounts.. this sound right?

anyways...

anyone ever bag one of these things?

he bought a kit from freakin airbagit.com LOL.. damn! but he only wants lay at shows and drive a lil lowered to the show, no play.. so i guess it will do what he wants..

anyways..

lemme know if anyone did one, any issues with them? anything funny on them? ive never worked on somethin that new.. i think they are spring over axle? i know front will bolt in easy, i dont know about back at all..

seems like something i could do in 3-4 days on my own, and he isnt really even perticular about time.. i would be working at his shop (countertop place nice and warm lol).. i would draw up contract obviously..

but i could use a lil money.. so lemme know what you guys have seen on these..

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Here read up a little history lesson
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z15389/...onte-Carlo.aspx

But the rear is OEM spring os you'll need to know the diameter of the axle to get the right lower bag bag mount.The upper mount you can probably get the "Universal rear kit" from AAC.That way you can decide on how low or how high to cut the tube to to get the stance he want's in the rear

Them the car's w/ like the 6 foot hoods on them.BIG bastards

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the kit he has has all the brackets he claims..

i just wanna make sure im not bitin off too much work for the $$$.. i dont wanna make a ton of cash, i like helpin people out..

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
ohh so yeah your gonna want to weld the lower bag mount ot axle so yeah it's not a bolt in kit.Fucking airbagit...you warn him about the problems people have had?I'd MAKE SURE to put that in the contract something about "not responsible for the piss poor equipment or materials from airbagit" only the installation

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh im not gonna bag too hard on what he wants to use, but i for sure will let him know im not gonna be responsible for the crap they sell..

he has $1300 in the kit.. he could have gone all slam, viar, SMC etc..

DAMN!

i knew the rear mount cant be bolt in.. although it is last year of that frame style i believe, similar to the 60s chevys, so maybe it is?

i really hope to find pics, internet is bare damnit

thanks baggedout

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
http://www.airassisted.com/Metal-Fabricati...oduct_info.html

Like this or the 3" one.

Yeah i actually welded all thread on the sides of the lower bracket w/ a piece of steel connecting the two threads kinda like how you would do drop block's on a leaf set up. I sat them on the axle w/ the upper bracket bolted in w/ bag on the axle and articulated the axle up/down till i fould the right right spot that i liked then welded it on.

It was over kill but if the welds ever broke "dough they will" i'll also have a back up.Gotta remember this was before i really knew shit about air ride or LIL for that matter

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Originally posted by touchdowntodd@Feb 14 2010, 04:28 PM~16610831
oh im not gonna bag too hard on what he wants to use, but i for sure will let him know im not gonna be responsible for the crap they sell..

he has $1300 in the kit.. he could have gone all slam, viar, SMC etc..

DAMN!

i knew the rear mount cant be bolt in.. although it is last year of that frame style i believe, similar to the 60s chevys, so maybe it is?

i really hope to find pics, internet is bare damnit

thanks baggedout
DAM $1300 boy yeahh that could have got a hell of a better quality kit for that

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its the last year of the "A" body... same as chevelle and that i believe.. that would mean its bolt in.. nice and simple.. one bolt through the lower spring mount

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by baggedout81@Feb 14 2010, 03:31 PM~16610855
DAM $1300 boy yeahh that could have got a hell of a better quality kit for that

no shit... $1300 and he coulda atleast gotten air ride tech brackets/bags and better comp setup...

hes a nice guy.. for real

check out this A body instruction from air ride tech.. if its this easy ill be a happy lil boy makin my money LOL

http://www.ridetech.com/shop/index.php?dis...product_id=5481

click on instructions and open up the file..

i forgot A body shit bolts in in the rear.. the spring sits over the axle almost floating, but there is a nice lil spacer setup air ride tech makes, hopefuly he has somethin similar!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its bolted down and held in place through the backets..

shit, the way it looks the stock spring just sat in there, LOL.. FUCK THAT!

im gonna go by his house soon and check out the parts and the car.. ill know for sure then

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by touchdowntodd@Feb 14 2010, 04:21 PM~16610791
rear lower bag bracket has to be welded on then?

always, there is no such thing as a bolt in axle bracket. i hate to say this but Ride Tech did have one for their bolt in 4 link but that was a bad idea on their part. if someone says yes there is and shows you it (given they have it), point out that the teeth that grab onto the axle will wear out causing the bracket to rotate on the axle which it should NEVER do.

as for the AIM kit, it's a live and learn exp. that he is going to have to deal with weather he likes it or not. you will need to point that out to him with his kit, basically point out which parts will fail on him. given the fact that $1300 was spent on the kit, a huge disappointment is a fact BUT assure him that if he wishes to get quality parts that won't bust on him, then do so and bite the bullet on that. just be happy that you DID NOT install the parts already and have them crap out on him later on and blame you for a faulty installation.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by foey@Feb 14 2010, 04:02 PM~16611034
always, there is no such thing as a bolt in axle bracket. i hate to say this but Ride Tech did have one for their bolt in 4 link but that was a bad idea on their part. if someone says yes there is and shows you it (given they have it), point out that the teeth that grab onto the axle will wear out causing the bracket to rotate on the axle which it should NEVER do.

as for the AIM kit, it's a live and learn exp. that he is going to have to deal with weather he likes it or not. you will need to point that out to him with his kit, basically point out which parts will fail on him. given the fact that $1300 was spent on the kit, a huge disappointment is a fact BUT assure him that if he wishes to get quality parts that won't bust on him, then do so and bite the bullet on that. just be happy that you DID NOT install the parts already and have them crap out on him later on and blame you for a faulty installation.

it seems like on the A bodies, the bolt in bracket would work.. its not right on the axle, its on a plate mount stock anyways..

like i said, ill have to check it out

given that the guy only wants to drop it at a show and then raise it for driving, i dont think he will have too many issues.. atleast i hope not.. i dont wish bad experiences on anyone.. but that being said, ill make it clear that i didnt make the parts, im only putting them together, and he can reference online how there are issues..

ill let him know he can always swap out valves.. he atleast got he individual ones instead of the manifold.. so thats better news

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by touchdowntodd@Feb 14 2010, 05:23 PM~16611199
given that the guy only wants to drop it at a show and then raise it for driving, i dont think he will have too many issues.. atleast i hope not.. i dont wish bad experiences on anyone.. but that being said, ill make it clear that i didnt make the parts, im only putting them together, and he can reference online how there are issues..

ill let him know he can always swap out valves.. he atleast got he individual ones instead of the manifold.. so thats better news
x2, there's nothing worse than someone coming back at you thinking YOU are the problem when it's due to shitty products.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ttt for anyone with experience..

just tryin to see if this is worth my time and i cant get by his house til friday

thanks homie

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
good luck on this i have a 71 and let me just tell you there is no bolt on unless its airidetech other than that goog luck i been there done that s10 cups dont fit and silverado cups ether for the rear air over axle ..............good luck with the build

·
Registered
51 Posts
72 MONTE...YES YOU CAN MAKE THAT A BOLT IN KIT WITH MODIFIYING YOUR REAR LOWER BAG BRACKETS...USE ALL THREAD TO WELD TO THE BOTTOM BRACKET AND USING A U SHAPED BRACKET TO CUP THE UNDERSIDE OF THE AXLE...BASICLY MAKING IT BOLT IN LIKE A U BOLT AND AXLE PAD ASSEMBLY LIKE LEAF SPRINGS ON A TRUCK...YOU JUST HAVE TO USE YOUR HEAD...IF I CAN HELP YOU WITH ANY QUESTIONS CALL MY SHOP AT 909-843-4230 WE SHIP ANYWHERE AND HAVE BEEN DOING AIR RIDE FOR OVER 8YRS...GOOD LUCK KONNECTED AUTO KONCEPTS :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts