LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW LONG SHOULD ONE WAIT AFTER HE GETS A BRAND NEW PAINT JOB BEFORE ONE GOES FOR WETSAND?

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
depends on the paint. some paint jobs get wet sanded the same day (with bake booths), or the next day...some paint jobs sit for a year, or 2..................or 3 or 4, before they get wet sanded.

depends on the paint job, and the car. but in most cases, its done within 24-48 hours after the final coat of clear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Oct 2 2007, 06:01 PM~8917980
depends on the paint. some paint jobs get wet sanded the same day (with bake booths), or the next day...some paint jobs sit for a year, or 2..................or 3 or 4, before they get wet sanded.
depends on the paint job, and the car. but in most cases, its done within 24-48 hours after the final coat of clear.

DOES IT REALLY SHOW A BIG DIFFERENCE?

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by tearazz@Oct 2 2007, 07:02 PM~8917991
DOES IT REALLY SHOW A BIG DIFFERENCE?
depends on the paint...

some of the BADDEST paint jobs you will ever see on a lowrider, actually sat for over a year before it was cut. Alot of intricate multi stage (and multi chemical) paint jobs NEED to sit and shrink before they are cut.

Im sure some people WILL NOT agree, but it depends on who you know, who you learn from, and how good the person teaching you is.

There is also a HUGE difference between a simple base/clear/single color candy paint job compared to a multi color, multi base, flake, pearl, pattern, pin stripe, etc etc paint job. And even then, a solid black car can benefit from letting the paint shrink several months before its cut and buffed. And again, Im sure some people would argue with that. Its like I said, it all depends on WHAT the paint job is. 90% of all paint jobs can be cut and buffed the day after they are sprayed. Some can be cut and buffed the same day, but some of the baddest paint jobs out there have sat a year or longer before they were wet sanded and buffed out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOW DO I LOCATE A WET SANDER? DO I GO TO MY LOCAL BODY SHOP AND ASK AROUND!!!

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Originally posted by tearazz@Oct 2 2007, 05:37 PM~8918200
HOW DO I LOCATE A WET SANDER? DO I GO TO MY LOCAL BODY SHOP AND ASK AROUND!!!
Look around and find someone with experience cuttin & buffin. try the local bodyshops. and like tattoo 76 said, it really depends on what you are trying to achieve, what paint products where used, etc.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
i detail and cut and buff cars for a living and on your average bc/cc paint job i usually have the customer wait 3-4 months before i cut and buff. that gives the paint a decent amount of time to cure. because anytime before that as TATTOO stated paint can shrink. ive never done a multi colored or flaked, patterned car. but im sure the more material that is in a paint job the more time it needs to cure. if your car is just a bc/cc id wait a few months then cut and buff it.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
youll learn a lil from each person,i myself like to give it a month before cutr n buff,due to shrinkage,and or paint flaws,others want there cars done as soon as the paint is cured,(daily drivers) where you located? and whos painting it or painted it? how many coats of clear? custom paint?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by pinche chico@Oct 3 2007, 07:15 AM~8922132
youll learn a lil from each person,i myself like to give it a month before cutr n buff,due to shrinkage,and or paint flaws,others want there cars done as soon as the paint is cured,(daily drivers) where you located? and whos painting it or painted it? how many coats of clear? custom paint?
well im basically getting a basic 1 color paint job from my local shop in newark NJ: but i wanted to do something extra like a wetsand job, THERES A SPECIAL RUNNING that i wanna take advantage of!

Chemical Cleaning and Dewaxing
Dual Action Machine Sanding for Adhesion & further Cleaning
Hand Sanded for Adhesion & further Cleaning
Air-blown Dust Removal
Careful Masking/Taping
Tack Cloth Cleaning
Complete Exterior Primer/Sealer
3 Full Exterior Coats of Acrylic Urethane Paint (Single Color)
2 Full Exterior Coats of Premium Quality High Solids Urethane Clear, a True Clear Topcoat
Ultra Violet Sunscreen Gloss Hardener
Pro-Tech Protection Plan
Exterior Cleaning
RETAIL PRICE $750

This extremely durable 2-stage acrylic urethane service is an economic way to achieve a Base Coat/Clear Coat finish with superior gloss and resistance to environmental conditions. If color sanding & buffing is desired, this would be the service for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Oct 3 2007, 12:16 PM~8923707
What shop in Newark?  I'm just up the road a piece... :cool:

DO YOU WET SAND? OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Oct 2 2007, 07:12 PM~8918073
depends on the paint...
some of the BADDEST paint jobs you will ever see on a lowrider, actually sat for over a year before it was cut. Alot of intricate multi stage (and multi chemical) paint jobs NEED to sit and shrink before they are cut.
Im sure some people WILL NOT agree, but it depends on who you know, who you learn from, and how good the person teaching you is.
There is also a HUGE difference between a simple base/clear/single color candy paint job compared to a multi color, multi base, flake, pearl, pattern, pin stripe, etc etc paint job. And even then, a solid black car can benefit from letting the paint shrink several months before its cut and buffed. And again, Im sure some people would argue with that. Its like I said, it all depends on WHAT the paint job is. 90% of all paint jobs can be cut and buffed the day after they are sprayed. Some can be cut and buffed the same day, but some of the baddest paint jobs out there have sat a year or longer before they were wet sanded and buffed out.

That is great info.. It is true you can cut and buff almost any of todays urethanes the very next morning after spraying.. BUT as pointed out above.. THEY WILL SHRINK!!!
I dont care who you are, or what paints you use, they all shrink some.. When doing show cars, they get cut and buffed a few weeks after I paint them.. With the clear cut the day after spraying and then they set in the sun for a couple weeks to pull out the solvents without the top layer of film holding in the gasses..

EVEN WITH THIS PROCEDURE, THEY STILL SHRINK!!!!! Its best to do a Final buffing" 6 months to 1 year after it has been painted and had plenty of time to set in the sun to pull out the remaning tail solvents and finish curing..

A final note: The more layers of paint you apply the greater the amount of shrinkage and die back (loss of gloss) you CAN have

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by tearazz@Oct 3 2007, 04:54 PM~8925245
yeah thanks....but i just need a shop to take my car and get it done....anywhere in the NYC or N.J. area
i recomend haveing the same shop do a car start to finish, if you have one shop for paint and take it somewhere else to wet wetsanded and if it burns thru the wetsand guy will blame the painter for not putting enough paint or clear on, and the painter will blame the wetsander for sanding too much, when its all done by the same shop there is no blame game :cool:

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
well when you cut n buff also your taking away u.v protection, but if your getting a whole deal with cut n buff then go ahead and do it,around here a good cut n buff will cost between 250-500 depending on vehicle i guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts