LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Autozone they sell a couple different types of bedliner that you apply with a special paint roller i guess??? Has anyone ever tried it??? I was thinking about using it in my trunk...

Also, does anyone know the prices for spraying bedliners in your area? I only tried one place here but they wanted like $250 to spray Rhinoliner in my trunk, and thats with no prep work, the trunk is sandblasted to bare metal, all they gotta do is spray.... fuck that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it look? I mean, i know it looks rough and gritty.... but was it hard to get it to look uniform?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
I just applied the sprayon style in a customers car. don't like it, looks too rough like undercoat. very tough stuff tho. this guy wanted it but i wouldn't recommend it in a regular car, ok for a hopper or if you're going to carpet over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by StrongIVLife@Jul 24 2005, 03:43 PM
I just applied the sprayon style in a customers car. don't like it, looks too rough like undercoat. very tough stuff tho. this guy wanted it but i wouldn't recommend it in a regular car, ok for a hopper or if you're going to carpet over.
[snapback]3470369[/snapback]​

ya its kinda hard to get it to look nice. I have sprayed a couple, I ended up reducing it and mixing it with a drill and one of those paint mixers until it smoothed out better. As for undercoat, spend the glue and get the 3M clear stuff, it goes on real nice and you can lay it down pretty good for undercoating. Its just expensive and well, undercoating :uh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by StrongIVLife+Jul 24 2005, 05:43 PM-->
I just applied the sprayon style in a customers car. don't like it, looks too rough like undercoat. very tough stuff tho. this guy wanted it but i wouldn't recommend it in a regular car, ok for a hopper or if you're going to carpet over.
[snapback]3470369[/snapback]​
[/b]
Well this stuff is applied with a roller, but looked just like the kind applied with a gun.... kinda gritty looking, like paint with sand in it. I was just wondering how it comes out in the end when being applied with a roller.... thats the part that scares me.

<!--QuoteBegin-skandalouz
@Jul 24 2005, 06:05 PM
ya its kinda hard to get it to look nice.  I have sprayed a couple,  I ended up reducing it and mixing it with a drill and one of those paint mixers until it smoothed out better.  As for undercoat,  spend the glue and get the 3M clear stuff,  it goes on real nice and you can lay it down pretty good for undercoating.  Its just expensive and well,  undercoating :uh:
[snapback]3470456[/snapback]​
Its for my 64 hardtop, its a street car, but still has to be nice to match the rest of the car ya know.... I dont really care for the stock looking "trunk spatter paint" so i was looking at my options. "Box" had a black 64 hardtop a few years back that he did some kind of bedliner or similar coating in the trunk and then cleared over it really heavy, and it looked bad ass.... was wanting to do something like that, any suggestions?

Heres the car....
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jul 24 2005, 05:05 PM
Well this stuff is applied with a roller, but looked just like the kind applied with a gun.... kinda gritty looking, like paint with sand in it. I was just wondering how it comes out in the end when being applied with a roller.... thats the part that scares me.
Its for my 64 hardtop, its a street car, but still has to be nice to match the rest of the car ya know.... I dont really care for the stock looking "trunk spatter paint" so i was looking at my options. "Box" had a black 64 hardtop a few years back that he did some kind of bedliner or similar coating in the trunk and then cleared over it really heavy, and it looked bad ass.... was wanting to do something like that, any suggestions?

Heres the car....
[snapback]3470677[/snapback]​

You could go and buy a gallon of Zolotone, and a Shutz gun, then clear over it. The majority of these liners are epoxy based so clearing over them should not be a problem at all. They actually have sand or plastic media in them to provide the anti-slip, that is why thay are so rough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,656 Posts
they have this stuff out called lizard skin and lizard skin sd * sd being the sound deadner ... supposed to be good for doing under bodies inside and out side of firewalls doors trunks every where and the lizard skin also helps cool the interior ..

nice article in custom rodder (not street customs duh!-edited) recently ...within last 3 months i think .(seems like i get a new one every other week ,,

aslo you can sand it prime it and paint it after it is applied
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
I used the stuff at autozone for my jeep,It worked great with the roller,Just make sure to buy 2 of the rollers.the texture was even and it dried up rock hard,I was going to put some in the trunk of my 63 but never got around to it,BTW I used the duplicolor one :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ice64berg@Jul 25 2005, 01:03 AM
my bad heres a link ...
[snapback]3472628[/snapback]​
???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by japSW20@Jul 25 2005, 11:22 AM
I used the stuff at autozone for my jeep,It worked great with the roller,Just make sure to buy 2 of the rollers.the texture was even and it dried up rock hard,I was going to put some in the trunk of my 63 but never got around to it,BTW I used the duplicolor one :cool:
[snapback]3473721[/snapback]​
Got a pic?????? :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jul 25 2005, 07:40 PM
Got a pic??????  :cheesy:
[snapback]3478216[/snapback]​
ahh wish i had pics,the finish was glossy black and rough but not too rough,when it was wet you wouldnt slip on it and it was chemical resistanthe roller is what gives it the texture,when applying it and the roller kinda wears out youll notice it would leave a nasty looking finish.when that happens just switch over to a new roller :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by japSW20@Jul 25 2005, 10:03 PM
ahh wish i had pics,the finish was glossy black and rough but not too rough,when it was wet you wouldnt slip on it and it was chemical resistanthe roller is what gives it the texture,when applying it and the roller kinda wears out youll notice it would leave a nasty looking finish.when that happens just switch over to a new roller :cool:
[snapback]3478393[/snapback]​
So the roller gives it the texture, hmmmm. So was there actual grit in the paint or was it like regular paint and the roller creates the gritty look??? Do you think it would lay down smoother if i used a regular paint roller instead of that funky one they sell? You think it would lay down something like the pic Switchcraft posted up? I could live with something like that, some texture and bumpiness, but not sandy feeling, like it would cut your ass if you sat on it! lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64,662 Posts
z o l a t o n e mother fucker dont you understand??????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jul 25 2005, 02:05 AM
"Box" had a black 64 hardtop a few years back that he did some kind of bedliner or similar coating in the trunk and then cleared over it really heavy, and it looked bad ass.... was wanting to do something like that, any suggestions?


[snapback]3470677[/snapback]​
i know exactly what car your talking about,,,that was some heavy clear,,,looked nice though


couple years back when i worked at the columsem,,they had a truck and outdoor show i worked,,rhino-liner had some very impresive liners,,they had a many many different colors, even mini and gumbo flake (bass boat look),,,all were GLOSSY and smooth as glass. They even slamed bricks on the test panels to show durability
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Mr Impala@Jul 26 2005, 06:40 AM
z o l a t o n e mother fucker dont you understand??????????????
[snapback]3480709[/snapback]​
Where the fuck do i buy it bitch???????????? And can i do it myself bitch????????????? Youre Rick James BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Jul 26 2005, 02:41 AM
So the roller gives it the texture, hmmmm. So was there actual grit in the paint or was it like regular paint and the roller creates the gritty look??? Do you think it would lay down smoother if i used a regular paint roller instead of that funky one they sell? You think it would lay down something like the pic Switchcraft posted up? I could live with something like that, some texture and bumpiness, but not sandy feeling, like it would cut your ass if you sat on it! lol
[snapback]3480540[/snapback]​
with the roller it brings it looks like the picture switchcraft posted,The paint is not gritty its just real thick,yes the roller is what gives it the texture.if you use a regular roller it would just be like regular smooth paint :dunno:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top