LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going for HOK's Cocoa Designer Pearl. I like the color, and am looking for advice on what you used, recommend as a base, if needed.

I don't think you can just spray the pearl right over the sealer--without needing to spray 7 coats.

Looking to finally get things done. :)

Here is what I want the finished product to look like:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, that color is WICKED!!! :biggrin:

I have some HOK Silver Metallic Sealer. I'm hoping that is what they used in that pick.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Tech sheet says you can spray over base (white) or over their sealer. Since base and sealer are the same color, and if HOK says you can spray over sealer, then I suppose you will be fine.

Has anyone had any problems with spraying HOK Designer Pearl over the white sealer?

·
da painter
24,179 Posts
Originally posted by BAD70@Feb 14 2010, 10:20 AM~16608820
OK. Tech sheet says you can spray over base (white) or over their sealer.  Since base and sealer are the same color, and if HOK says you can spray over sealer, then I suppose you will be fine.

Has anyone had any problems with spraying HOK Designer Pearl over the white sealer?
no, works great..i sprayed tangelo over a white base, not hok but just a white i had laying around..
worked just as good..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by sic713@Feb 14 2010, 10:27 AM~16608862
no, works great..i sprayed tangelo over a white base, not hok but just a white i had laying around..
worked just as good..

i'm guessing you applied sealer, then your white base, then your pearl? i have some white base laying around too, but i will need to buy some sealer.

i have some gray epoxy primer...which can be used as sealer-when reduced, then white base (also not HOK), then the pearl.

looking at my options so i can don't need to buy any more than i need to, and not use it all. but, i guess that is the name of the game. "cover your A$$" with paint.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by BAD70@Feb 13 2010, 11:52 AM~16602143
Going for HOK's Cocoa Designer Pearl. I like the color, and am looking for advice on what you used, recommend as a base, if needed.

I don't think you can just spray the pearl right over the sealer--without needing to spray 7 coats. 
Looking to finally get things done.  :)

Here is what I want the finished product to look like:

u can use a black base bro i had this color before and i use black base ;) :cool:

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
Originally posted by mr.lincon@Feb 19 2010, 04:37 PM~16664430
u can use a black base bro i had this color before and i use black base  ;)  :cool:
:yes: i like the flip you get over black as opposed to the glow you get with white....

·
Registered
72 Posts
nice color choice, I'm gonna paint my cutty something similar, the color is Sunset Bronze, it's a factory Toyota color, it comes on the '09 Toyota Venza, it resembles that color kinda

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 350_85_BroughamCut@Feb 20 2010, 12:22 AM~16668466
nice color choice, I'm gonna paint my cutty something similar, the color is Sunset Bronze, it's a factory Toyota color, it comes on the '09 Toyota Venza, it resembles that color kinda
I'll need to look up that color. I am trying to find a backup 'stock' color that is close enough as you can get to this--just in case the painter is having some heartburn in trying to do pearl. He's sprayed Kandy a couple of times, and didn't have succesfull results, so you can understand his hesitancy. And, as you might guess, I'm a little nervous about that too.

I have the white paint base, so we'll run with that. I'll need to order about 8qts. of this from coastairbrush (good prices).

We are still a few months from painting, but it's important to get all the planning done at this stage.

My question now is: do we let the car sit overnight after the last base of white, then come back with the next morning with the pearl and clear?

Thanks for keeping this one alive!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by BAD70@Feb 20 2010, 11:29 AM~16669648
I'll need to look up that color.  I am trying to find a backup 'stock' color that is close enough as you can get to this--just in case the painter is having some heartburn in trying to do pearl. He's sprayed Kandy a couple of times, and didn't have succesfull results, so you can understand his hesitancy. And, as you might guess, I'm a little nervous about that too. 

I have the white paint base, so we'll run with that.  I'll need to order about 8qts. of this from coastairbrush (good prices).

We are still a few months from painting, but it's important to get all the planning done at this stage.

My question now is: do we let the car sit overnight after the last base of white, then come back with the next morning with the pearl and clear?
Thanks for keeping this one alive!

:thumbsup:
read the specs on the can most paint says you need to topcoat with in 12 hours,or youll have to scuff it up

·
Registered
72 Posts
did you ever get around to checking out that Toyota Color? I found some pics on google but you'd have to see it in person, I'm mesmerized everytime I see a Venza drive by :0 , so thats how I know that's the color I want

heres some pics from google

kinda reminds me of a tootsie roll, the color is deep tho and really pops in the sun

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by 350_85_BroughamCut@Feb 20 2010, 09:08 PM~16673968
did you ever get around to checking out that Toyota Color? I found some pics on google but you'd have to see it in person, I'm mesmerized everytime I see a Venza drive by  :0 , so thats how I know that's the color I want
heres some pics from google

kinda reminds me of a tootsie roll, the color is deep tho and really pops in the sun

Will check out the specs on can.

I did find the toyota color online...not sure if it was the sunlight, but, it had a bit more orangey tint than i was looking for. Here's the link:

http://www.toyota.com/venza/photos/ext_image8.html

Your pic looks shows more of a deeper/darker tone. Would be best to see in person.

Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts