LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 64 Iimpala with a 2 pump setup. His father-in-law wants the car and will, in return, fund a new project. But he does not want the hydraulics - too harsh and not his style. He wants him to look into going back.

Anyone ever converted one back? What is the approximate cost a shop might charge?

Thanks

·
EnViUs
22,931 Posts
all you would really have to do is remove the hydraulics, batteries, cylinders and all other hydro related stuff from the car.....Then put in some stock coils and shocks and there you go...if the car has shocks already then your set to go.....I could be wrong but i think thats all youll need to do....If the frame is reinforced well thats pretty much permenant

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It s not that expensive new front and back springs all new shock you will probably need to replace the lower trailing arms on the rear to replace the spring catch weld in the holes in the front where the cylinders come through drill a small hole in that for the new shock wled in sheet metal in the back where it was cut out and good to go more work than money I think I figure if i had to do it for some one probably around 400 plus parts just a quick assesmnet to give you a figure to start with

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Originally posted by winston@Apr 22 2005, 06:52 AM
A friend has a 64 Iimpala with a 2 pump setup.  His father-in-law wants the car and will, in return, fund a new project.  But he does not want the hydraulics - too harsh and not his style.  He wants him to look into going back.

Anyone ever converted one back?  What is the approximate cost a shop might charge?

Thanks
[snapback]3035048[/snapback]​

There really are not that many mods to do, replace the arms and lower rear mounts.... new trunk floor (depending on what was cut) and that about it.

Much harder to install than un install :cool:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss805@Apr 23 2005, 05:36 PM
replace the frame
weld the holes in the rear on the trunk where cylinders go
[snapback]3042272[/snapback]​

I wouldnt do the frame unless i KNEW the old was bad. Dros dont always warp shit. ;)

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Originally posted by Hoss805@Apr 24 2005, 05:09 PM
you're all right
but the lifted frame can be tweaked from 3 wheelin hopping and all that fun stuff
just replece the frame
you can pick one up anywhere from $100.00 bare -300.00 rolling
[snapback]3045459[/snapback]​

$100.00 bare $300.00 For a X frame :dunno: im thinking a lot more than that

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
the frames problly fine, puttin stock coils and shocks back.all your gonna see is holes, notches welds, etc that wouldnt normally be there,not an issue unless he's wanting a 100 point restored classic show car.You got holes in the trunk floor to fill up. and depending on how the back end is done, you might have to redo the spring perches on the trailing arms/axle, or whatever. But then again, on my cars the stock shocks wont mount up front because theres too big of a hole cut in the frame.you might have to weld a round plate back in there for the shocks to mount up?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts