LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
All these labels is becoming nauseating. I propose we fashion one label to in compass all the above BADASS

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never heard of cars being labeled as “Bellflower Cars” at least not back in the day anyway.

I am 66-years old and was born and raised in Compton Calif. I graduated from Dominguez High School in Compton in 1964. My friends and I use to Cruise Long Beach Blvd in Compton, Tweedy Blvd in South Gate, Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and of course Bellflower Blvd in Bellflower.

YES, we called ourselves Lowriders back then. Spell it anyway you want. We had lowered cars and had a tremendous amount of pride in making them look the best we could and always trying to push the envelope with state of the art styling, for the day.

Bellflower pipes came from Gene’s Muffler Shop on Lakewood Blvd and that was in the city of Paramount (Paramount is right next to the City of Bellflower) just down the road from the Paramount Drive In Theater. The owner’s name was Keith and my age won’t let me recall his last name. Keith did virtually all of the exhaust work on the local cars and he even heated coil springs to give us the Lowriders stance for those that could not afford Hydraulics.

Hydraulics were rare and only a very few guys had them or knew how to install them in the mid-early 60’s. Most of the guys that had Hydraulics hung out at Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and it was a real hatchet job back then. Again I know because I had Hydraulics installed, in the front only, in my 1962 Pearl Blue Larry Craig painted Pontiac Catalina in 1965.

By today’s standards I guess we would be called “60’s Customs” but back then we were LOWRIDERS.

No, we didn’t start Lowriding, I think we moved it to a different level in the 60’s & 70’s and you will have to admit that those 60’s cars are still one of the mainstays of Lowriding.

I also worked at a place called Dave’s Home of Chrome on Long Beach Blvd. in Compton for five years. One of the very few places in the world that you could get Astro Supremes Super Deep Revere wheel and 5:20 White Walls just by walking in the door, we keep um in stock and ready to go. Along with just about everything you would want for you car.

Got any question about Cruising in the 60’s or 70’s in Bellflower or Downey, let me know, been there done that.

Dave Burgeson
AKA Burgie, AKA Diamond Dave (yes before David Lee Roth)

Past member of and past President of the Invincible’s Car Club, Bellflower CA.
Past member of the Tridents Car Club So. Cal. (the Purple Gang)

·
Banned
8,326 Posts
this site is a weath of knowledge man thats one hell of a first post

·
Registered
583 Posts
I never heard of cars being labeled as “Bellflower Cars” at least not back in the day anyway.

I am 66-years old and was born and raised in Compton Calif. I graduated from Dominguez High School in Compton in 1964. My friends and I use to Cruise Long Beach Blvd in Compton, Tweedy Blvd in South Gate, Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and of course Bellflower Blvd in Bellflower.

YES, we called ourselves Lowriders back then. Spell it anyway you want. We had lowered cars and had a tremendous amount of pride in making them look the best we could and always trying to push the envelope with state of the art styling, for the day.

Bellflower pipes came from Gene’s Muffler Shop on Lakewood Blvd and that was in the city of Paramount (Paramount is right next to the City of Bellflower) just down the road from the Paramount Drive In Theater. The owner’s name was Keith and my age won’t let me recall his last name. Keith did virtually all of the exhaust work on the local cars and he even heated coil springs to give us the Lowriders stance for those that could not afford Hydraulics.

Hydraulics were rare and only a very few guys had them or knew how to install them in the mid-early 60’s. Most of the guys that had Hydraulics hung out at Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and it was a real hatchet job back then. Again I know because I had Hydraulics installed, in the front only, in my 1962 Pearl Blue Larry Craig painted Pontiac Catalina in 1965.

By today’s standards I guess we would be called “60’s Customs” but back then we were LOWRIDERS.

No, we didn’t start Lowriding, I think we moved it to a different level in the 60’s & 70’s and you will have to admit that those 60’s cars are still one of the mainstays of Lowriding.

I also worked at a place called Dave’s Home of Chrome on Long Beach Blvd. in Compton for five years. One of the very few places in the world that you could get Astro Supremes Super Deep Revere wheel and 5:20 White Walls just by walking in the door, we keep um in stock and ready to go. Along with just about everything you would want for you car.

Got any question about Cruising in the 60’s or 70’s in Bellflower or Downey, let me know, been there done that.

Dave Burgeson

:cool::thumbsup:

·
Homie Styln
7,743 Posts

Dave Burgeson

Do you remember the Persians from Bellflower? It was an all anglo lowrider car club.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Dave Burgeson

good post , was the clock drive in located in bellflower? no matter what anyone says guys like you were pioneers to the car game , no matter what you call yourself 60's customs were a big contribution , i for one would like to hear and see more (pics) . thanks to guys like you :) :boink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m glad you enjoyed my post

Persians, no I don’t remember the Persians. Some of the clubs of the day around Bellflower and Downey that I remember were the Seagram’s, Night Owls, Pharaohs, Drifters, Competitors and the clubs that I was in the Invincible’s and the Tridents. I have to admit that I haven’t given the names of the car clubs back then much thought in a very long time but that’s the best I can do for now.

The point of my first post was to try and answer the original posters question from the point of view of someone that was there in the 60’s & 70’s and considered themselves and that others of the day considered them a Lowrider.

I wore the Lowrider badge with pride and drove lowered cars up until just a few years ago when I had to sell my Air Bag equipped, lay it on the ground, 17” Cragar S/S equipped, 1969 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Station Wagon. Don’t ya just love a car that had Cruiser in its name?

Although I do drive a lowered 09 Red GMC Sierra it would never be called a lowrider, but it’s just in my blood to lower them all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Bellflower Clock Drive In was on Bellflower Blvd. near Artesia Blvd. But by the time I started Cursing Bellflower in the mid 60”s it was gone.

The big hang outs on Bellflower then were the A & W, and the Big Donut and I can’t remember the Donut Shop right on the Southwest corner of Artesia and Bellflower, oh ya lets not forget the Taco Bell and the Burger Joint at the north end of the Blvd. that was the turn around point to head back south on the Blvd.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
All these labels is becoming nauseating. I propose we fashion one label to in compass all the above BADASS
I agree, its way too many labels. It's like that with all genres of the car world these days.

I'm into Lowriders, Customs, Harleys and Choppers. I don't like everything about each one and theirs several sub categories for each one...I just take what I like about each of them and label it "badass stuff I like".

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Bellflower Clock Drive In was on Bellflower Blvd. near Artesia Blvd. But by the time I started Cursing Bellflower in the mid 60”s it was gone.

The big hang outs on Bellflower then were the A & W, and the Big Donut and I can’t remember the Donut Shop right on the Southwest corner of Artesia and Bellflower, oh ya lets not forget the Taco Bell and the Burger Joint at the north end of the Blvd. that was the turn around point to head back south on the Blvd.
Ahh yes! I love how they still display the pics at A&W. I wasn't born until the mid 90's. I wish I was alive back then!! :tears:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I agree, its way too many labels. It's like that with all genres of the car world these days.

I'm into Lowriders, Customs, Harleys and Choppers. I don't like everything about each one and theirs several sub categories for each one...I just take what I like about each of them and label it "badass stuff I like".
X2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts

It happens with a hell of a lot more than just cars dude. People, places, items, anything really.

Not tryin to be rude, just calling out something that I can add to.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
the car you are talking about belong to cisneros from our club he sold it. the new owner repainted it and it was on display at the gnrs. it a different shade of orange know.
mine is the blue 52 with the carson top, continental kit
BADASS

221 - 240 of 280 Posts