LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

241 - 260 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bellflower cars

Hey- I don't get on here much, but happen to come across your post. You probably got an answer by now, but Bellflower cars were popular in the late 60's early 70's. Larry Watson started painting them, but the original name came from the exhaust system, my Dad is the one who created it. There were other parts, lakepipes and the way they lowered them back them. Larry Watson and my Dad did a lot of work together. Gene's Muffler was a pretty cool place to be back then.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never heard of cars being labeled as “Bellflower Cars” at least not back in the day anyway.

I am 66-years old and was born and raised in Compton Calif. I graduated from Dominguez High School in Compton in 1964. My friends and I use to Cruise Long Beach Blvd in Compton, Tweedy Blvd in South Gate, Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and of course Bellflower Blvd in Bellflower.

YES, we called ourselves Lowriders back then. Spell it anyway you want. We had lowered cars and had a tremendous amount of pride in making them look the best we could and always trying to push the envelope with state of the art styling, for the day.

Bellflower pipes came from Gene’s Muffler Shop on Lakewood Blvd and that was in the city of Paramount (Paramount is right next to the City of Bellflower) just down the road from the Paramount Drive In Theater. The owner’s name was Keith and my age won’t let me recall his last name. Keith did virtually all of the exhaust work on the local cars and he even heated coil springs to give us the Lowriders stance for those that could not afford Hydraulics.

Hydraulics were rare and only a very few guys had them or knew how to install them in the mid-early 60’s. Most of the guys that had Hydraulics hung out at Harvey’s Broiler in Downey and it was a real hatchet job back then. Again I know because I had Hydraulics installed, in the front only, in my 1962 Pearl Blue Larry Craig painted Pontiac Catalina in 1965.

By today’s standards I guess we would be called “60’s Customs” but back then we were LOWRIDERS.

No, we didn’t start Lowriding, I think we moved it to a different level in the 60’s & 70’s and you will have to admit that those 60’s cars are still one of the mainstays of Lowriding.

I also worked at a place called Dave’s Home of Chrome on Long Beach Blvd. in Compton for five years. One of the very few places in the world that you could get Astro Supremes Super Deep Revere wheel and 5:20 White Walls just by walking in the door, we keep um in stock and ready to go. Along with just about everything you would want for you car.

Got any question about Cruising in the 60’s or 70’s in Bellflower or Downey, let me know, been there done that.

Dave Burgeson
AKA Burgie, AKA Diamond Dave (yes before David Lee Roth)

Past member of and past President of the Invincible’s Car Club, Bellflower CA.
Past member of the Tridents Car Club So. Cal. (the Purple Gang)
Well said, thanks for sharing :) My Pops just turned 60 and he cruised Van Nuys Blvd in the late 60's/early 70's. I grew up hearing stories about lowered and lifted cars with mild to wild paint jobs, runnin' baby moons or 5 spokes, most with skinny whites. It wasn't until the early 90's when Rod 'n' Custom did their two big articles about Watson that I finally had a visual reference to all the stuff my Dad had been telling me about. I fell in love. And as far as he's concerned, "lowrider's" are people, not their cars. And as he puts it, "It didn't matter what color your skin was. If you were on the boulevard in a lowered car, you were brothers." Fuckin' A.

In the last couple years, I've heard the "Bellflower" label thrown around quite a bit, which is a modern term to describe a style that was simply called "Custom" back in the day. No Veterano I've spoken to has EVER referred to a car of this kind as a "Bellflower" car. It was already said, but most of these terms are misused. A LOT. Most people call my Buick a lowrider. Doesn't bother me, I guess to some people it is. To me, it's a custom. But then, the era I'm trying to recreate is the era that helped give birth to what we now commonly refer to as "Lowriders." Personally, I don't give a fuck what you build or what you call it, but as the homie Rick (ACCESSORYFREAK) already said, just do it in a tasteful and well executed manner. Case. Fucking. Closed.

All that being said, here's my lowrider :biggrin:

And here's a bitchin' video of Alan Duke's '64 cruising Wilmington back in '69, courtesy of Mr. Howard Gribble:

·
Registered
670 Posts
bad fuckin buick. thats what its all about, building them like they did back in the day. tell them were they can see more photos bob_o.

·
Registered
670 Posts
thats what i was waiting for bob o, i knew you would come thru with photos to show everyone lowrider styles from the mid 1960"s. signed hardtop 59.

241 - 260 of 280 Posts