LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I personally think that bellflower was more of a period in time 58-64 were mild customs, customized more with paint. Grapevine being an excellent example, no chop, shaved, and the paint being the major mod. Were these cars lowriders? Yes, but lowrider became a style in itself by the 70s. Just like the Harry westergard period style customs of the 40s and early 50s, or even the ultra chopped, flamed, neon, pepto period in the mid 80s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pretenders Car Club - Bellflower - 1950's

I have been reminicing with my dad - he was in the Pretenders Car Club in the 50's (Bellflower) - pretty famous in those days. Lots of history, money for the children's hospital, promoted by Bill Balance KFWB radio station. All these locations you've mentioned are part of a deep Dutch history and of the fabric of Southern California. Very cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Bellflower Clock Drive In was on Bellflower Blvd. near Artesia Blvd. But by the time I started Cursing Bellflower in the mid 60”s it was gone.

The big hang outs on Bellflower then were the A & W, and the Big Donut and I can’t remember the Donut Shop right on the Southwest corner of Artesia and Bellflower, oh ya lets not forget the Taco Bell and the Burger Joint at the north end of the Blvd. that was the turn around point to head back south on the Blvd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i m a few years late on this but the donut shop was Winchels donuts, sat in that parking lot many times in my 62 chevy ss burgandy and flamed. also collins muflers used to do bellflower pipe ol walt did mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remember lakewood sheriffe dept? officer gardner wrote me umpteen tickets for being too low. cant beleive this was 52 years ago...if i remember correctly we also turned around in the parkinglot of fiestone tire shop to head back north.

261 - 280 of 280 Posts