LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im redoing somebodies interior. now i have an issue with the door handles/arm rests, whichever you want to call them... they are basically a metal piece with foam on top and then the vinyl covering it.. Due to weather n years n years, the vinyl cracks n the foam falls all to pieces. Well i'd striped it all off from the metal frame. stacked new foam on top of metal piece. - glued that. But i have no way of attaching the vinyl onto it, because of the metal, if that piece was wood or plastic, i could pull the vinyl over tight and staple it.
ANY IDEAS??? how do you remake those arm rests.
I'm figuring on - making it out of wood and then cover it with foam and vinyl..
I have no other ideas, i've always had this issue with the arm rests. everything else I can do. any tips, ideas, advice - i would appreciate your input

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 1972 dodge charger. however i've restored 1980 models fullsize chevy trucks n they have the same type of arm-rests. well the same built. meaning they both have the piece of metal, then foam n then premolded vinyl

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about a reproduction armrest from a restoration place?

i'd thought about it but they prob cost more than what i can recover them.
so i got to thinking and heres a kewl idea,
get some panel board its not thick but its thick enough to where i can staple it,
cut it out the size of the metal piece, glue it or screw it onto the metal- underneath and wrap my vinyl n staple it underneath... that way i can drill out the holes where the arm rests goes onto the door....
so that could help out anybody thats needing a know how to redo those arm rests.
either that or fiberglass the whole thing, that'll be kewl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts