LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Originally posted by OneStopCustoms@Jul 26 2005, 09:10 PM
keep building airplanes... too much time and money to invest... you really won't see money come in for the 1st year...
[snapback]3486869[/snapback]​
THATS TRUE :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I owned & ran Gizmo's hop shop In Ga. for nearly 13 years & then I closed the door's & got a secure job with benefits in the heavy equipment industry.Don't get me wrong when the $$$ was good it was real good but when it was bad it was real bad...not to mention once you do customizing for a living you tend to look at the sport differently....it's not so much sport any more or fun it's how you put food on the table.I would stay at lockheed Martin & retire with benefits & 401k & then tour the show's all year long...Grey hair's & all :biggrin: :biggrin: Until then build yourself a shop at home work out of your home with no overhead $$$$ & that away you can pic & choose what job's you take on rather than taking on all job's even shitty low paying ones just because shop rent is due or times are slow.If yuo set up a shop at home you can have the best of both world's & make double $$$ Lockheed & shop income...CHA CHING...& still want to compete... :biggrin: Good luck....Just my 2 cent's :cheesy:

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by dsgb@Jul 26 2005, 09:49 PM
I am tired of biulding airplanes for Lockheed Martin, on day I hope to own my own buisness,preferably selling and installing stuff for cars.What kind of advice would u have for somebody tryin to get in the biz. thanx
[snapback]3486700[/snapback]​

must have capital to invest!
choose your product! <research your product.

calculate your out of pocket expenses like over head etc. empolyees, advertising, supplies,and the product itself...

get a dba,ein for taxes....contact wholesalers, merchants etc

project your income "net" < research! "trail run like on ebay"

i had a 1000 hits in one week for harley paint set: i would never have that many people nor have had walk through a shop!

know your product! target your consumer!

beat everyones price! but dont cut your self short...over head does not pay for it self!

75%of small buisness fail with in tha first yr for lack of research, such as location
and demand!

ex.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The goose is still in my storage in Virginia Beach ,Virginia.I was in the process of doing a few additions to the car,but I got laid off and had to leave my car up there cause it still needs a door(hard to find one on the east coast without rust),I then moved to Florida to work,six months later I got hired by LOCKHEED MARTIN located above Atlanta.I now just gotta get "the goose" down here...Things are goin slow and no overtime coming in at Lockeed sooooo I am just being patient.Look for it to come out some time next year......I pray that it will be done

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
man i agree...i have been doing car stereo off and on for over 13 years in my town.i just opened a new shop.i want a good paying full time job..i used to dj and manage night clubs but they will never stick with anyone long since they want new fresh ideas so they tend to go through dj,s and managers quick.i run my shop by myself and it sucks sometimes.my girlfrend helps when she gets off he full time job.it takes every penny you have and all of your time.i used to like what i did but now its just a job.you spend so much time on customers cars you dont want to do anything to your own car.im hoping in a year or so i will end up making some money..if you open a shop.make sure your overhead is not alot.a big fancy shop on the highway with a lot of room will look good but it will cost you.you end up working your ass off to pay them huge rent bills and electric as well as insurance and alot of other shit.also find a location where theres not alot of shops doing the same thing close to you..theres alot to think about.theres alot of sacrafice,,i just recently gave up my house to keep the shop going since summer here sucks and the threat of huricanes here are scaring people and noone wants to spend anything becouse they want to have extra money incase of if there is another hurricane this year becouse so many people where not preparred and caught off guard..so money its real tight in my area.

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by OneStopCustoms@Jul 26 2005, 09:10 PM
keep building airplanes... too much time and money to invest... you really won't see money come in for the 1st year...
[snapback]3486869[/snapback]​

for the first year?? shit we didnt really see any money for the first 3 years :uh: ended up spending more than i could generate! which is why we closed the shop down.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Originally posted by One Luv@Jul 28 2005, 09:48 AM
for the first year?? shit we didnt really see any money for the first 3 years :uh:  ended up spending more than i could generate! which is why we closed the shop down.
[snapback]3496146[/snapback]​

majority of the shops can't see money within the 1st year... just a rule of thumb... You have to advertise, word of mouth and stuff like that so that you can get your clients.

I know that it took me a LONG time to get my product out, at least the 1st batch, trying to get my name out there, having people test the product and things like that, lots of time invested into just two sets of coils...

Thing is, I have my original job working at the elementary school right now and do OSC on the side. Next year when I buy my CNC machine, I want to still keep a regular paying job so that I at least know that the morning job will keep the CNC machine bill, and the OSC job will be in the evening again, unless I have my some one work for me in the CNC machine.

But really dude, even if your job is going slow at L.M. keep it... Once you start your own business you can't collect health insurance or an unemployment check.

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by OneStopCustoms@Jul 28 2005, 10:57 AM
majority of the shops can't see money within the 1st year... just a rule of thumb... You have to advertise, word of mouth and stuff like that so that you can get your clients.

I know that it took me a LONG time to get my product out, at least the 1st batch, trying to get my name out there, having people test the product and things like that, lots of time invested into just two sets of coils...

Thing is, I have my original job working at the elementary school right now and do OSC on the side. Next year when I buy my CNC machine, I want to still keep a regular paying job so that I at least know that the morning job will keep the CNC machine bill, and the OSC job will be in the evening again, unless I have my some one work for me in the CNC machine.
But really dude, even if your job is going slow at L.M. keep it... Once you start your own business you can't collect health insurance or an unemployment check.
[snapback]3496219[/snapback]​
;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts