LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been looking thru the archives here and i see audiobahn subs are not very popular. Im trying to pick out a system for my Cutlass and i had 2 audiobahn flame q 12"s picked out but now im not sure. Im not trying to have a compition system but i do wanna pound. What would you guys suggest i Get. This is the system as it was planed:
Obcon Godzilla gz122 Dual 12” sub enclosure
Panasonic cd/mp3 MXE CQ-HX1083U head unit
2 Audiobahn flame Q 12” woofers
2 Rockford Fosgate Power 101bd 1000w X 1 @ 2 ohms amps
1 US Acustics #235usb4065 65Wx4 Amp
1 pair of 5 1/4" Q form kick panel pods
1 pair of 5 1/4" Infinity kappa component system
1 pair of Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates
1 Sum-cdvd02 DVD player/ monitor combo

I picked the audiobahn subs because they were dual voice coil's, could handle 1,000 watts a peice and because they looked good and crutchfield has their spl rated at 96db. Also i am trying to figure out how many batterys and how many capacitors i am going to need to run this system any ideas would be helpfull.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.K so after doing more research including calling a bunch of shops and and asking my partners in Rollerz Only C.C i have decided to not go with the Audiobahns but with the Brahma 12"s and i have changed the amps to 2 kicker 1200.1 1200watt @ 1ohm amps. What do you guys think. It shouldent be to bad for a modest set up

·
Registered
304 Posts
Those amps are going to suck juice from your electrical system like a couple of thirsty bitches...Im thinking you should upgrade to a 220 amp alternator and go with an optima red and yellow top. Tank the idea of a cap. Handle the source of the power and you are set

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i say its a modest setup cause compaired to some of the stuff ive seen like 4 15"s or 8 10"s my shit looks kinda small. As far as the instalation goes should i use the box mentioned in my first post? I found it on www.sounddomain.com and it got great reviews. Thanks for the advice on the electrical system. My question on that is if i use the 2nd battery to run the audio/video system is that going to pull anything from my stock battery or alternator. What i mean is am i hooking up my second optima battery to my stock battery? I was going to upgrade my alternator anyway to a 140 amp. I wanted bigger but i couldent find a bigger one like a 220 that was already chromed. Do you have any sugestions on that? Thanks for the advice homie's keep it comming

Last edited by painloc21 at Sep 4 2003, 12:47 AM

·
Registered
304 Posts
What kind of car is this going in?
Look into powermaster alternators. They have some 200-220 amp chromed models. summitracing.com has them. To keep from draining your starter battery you'll need a battery isolator. I'm not too keen on how those battery setups work, but an electrical shop should be able to tell you more. Don't buy that prefab box. I recommend building a single chamber 7 cubic foot ported box tuned to about 30 hertz if you are good with the wood tools. Your final installation will have you throwin elbows with those guys with the larger setups. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is a 78 Cutlass Supreme Braughm 2 door. right now the inside of the car is completly gutted. The seats, carpet, trim, door panels ect are all off. My uncle is putting in a brand new Painless wiring harness. So the electrical system will be brand new and he's installing the Auto-loc shaved door kit and security alarm and a new motor for the power window on the drivers side. My homies and i are sanding the car and getting it ready for paint. i want to leave the back seat out and have a custome box and amp rack built were the back seat was. I'm just having a hard time figuring out the demensions of the sub box. I just downloaded a program so hopefully that will help but who knows. I've never doon wood working at all! If i get the proper demensions and tools should i be able to do the job myself or should i take it to a shop? The last shop i spoke with wanted $3,500 to do a custom box and amp rack. I have the current Summit catalog and the bigest chromed alternator i see is for a truck. But i'll keep looking Thanks for The advice. Anyone got any design ideas for me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts