LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY REAR AXLE ON MY CUTTY WAS LEAKING SO I TOOK THE PAN THING OFF AND PUT SOME NEW SILICONE GASKET BUT WHAT KIND OF OIL GOES IN IT AND HOW DO I PUT IT IN? IS IT EVEN CALLED AXLE OIL? CAN I GET IT ANYWHERE?

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
u can get it any autozone or parts place its called gear oil .and if i remembre right my 64 took 2.5 almost 3 quarts when i was bone dry, like i said dont really remember but they can tell you how much to put

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yep the parts stores should have what you need. You also need to see if the car has a posi and if the gear oil is compatible with it or if an additive is needed. If it is a posi and the additive or incorrect oil is not used the posi can pop when going around corners.
On the side of the rearend housing in front of the axle tubes there should be a filling plug. It may require a six sided socket or it may be a square allen type of plug. If it's the square type I think it's 1/2" and by using a 1/2" socket extension the end will fit into the hole and then attach a 1/2" racthet to the female end and take it out. If it's never been removed it may be tight. Just don't strip it out or round over the head.
If I remember right park the car on a level surface and then you add fliud until it comes back out of the hole. Sorta like setting the floats on a holley carb with the sight hole plug removed. If all else fails check a service manual or with a dealership. I doubt if it can be over filled unless the car is not sitting on a level surrface.
Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, THANKS FOR THE INFO. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts