LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 buick regal
olds v8 307

had heads done a year ago, you know-
new spark plugs wires and dist cap.

now it is backfiring from carb.
slight loss of power, then back to regular, then backfire again.
i see the splash marks on inside of air filter housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
bad gas?

bad carb?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,920 Posts
usually if its backfiring out of the carb its probably the distributor is out 180 degrees or to far advanced or retarded one of the two
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
Originally posted by Chris@Aug 31 2005, 01:44 AM~3724808
usually if its backfiring out of the carb its probably the distributor is out 180 degrees or to far advanced or retarded one of the two

yea, turn the rotor...

or get a timing light and do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 31 2005, 08:08 PM~3728625
what the fuck for? 

its timing, done.
if the intake valve lash is too tight it will backfire out of the carb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,533 Posts
so if the lash is to tight its cracking the intake valve open?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by BLVDCRUISER@Aug 31 2005, 09:31 PM~3729163
so if the lash is to tight its cracking the intake valve open?
if its too tight, the valve is being prevented from closing all the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,533 Posts
well that plausable..but i doubt it..id say the carb is goofed up or the timing is off or its one of the quadracrap electronic metering rod carbs and u should just take it off and throw it at ur enemy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Chris@Aug 31 2005, 09:39 PM~3729249
if they are too tight it just won't run
well, one time i was replacing my intake gaskets at 1 am- somewhat unconciously i might add. and for some reason i tightened one of the valves. when i went to start it up, it ran like shit and when i revved it up it backfired otu the carb. moral of my shitty story -


dont work on your fuckign car when your asleep :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Icemanrandy@Aug 30 2005, 08:38 PM~3723516
how many miles on the motor now?
LIKE, 140,OOO

I GOT TO MY "BOOK" TODAY, IT SAYS:

1)emissions systems not functioning right.
2)ignition timing incorrect
3)carb in need of adjustment or worn.
4)vacuum leak at carb, intake manifold or hoses.
5)valve lash incorrectly set, and or valves sticking.

SO I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO.

RESPECT FOR THE INPUT.
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 31 2005, 06:50 PM~3729372
well, one time i was replacing my intake gaskets at 1 am- somewhat unconciously i might add. and for some reason i tightened one of the valves.  when i went to start it up, it ran like shit and when i revved it up it backfired otu the carb.  moral of my shitty story -
dont work on your fuckign car when your asleep :biggrin:

or high...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top