LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Caddy. It's has a 4.6L Northstar engine. How can I tell If I have a bad head gasket? I've taken it to three different shops and they all say it's something different.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
if the head gasket is bad it will let anti freeze into the cumbustion camber. look for white smoke out the tail pipe and take the plugs out and look for unusual deposites

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah, you will have a hell of a lot of smoke coming out the pipes.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Also you could do or get someone to do a compression test to see if any of the cylinders are down on pressure.

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by 92fleetwoodpimpin@Dec 17 2003, 09:24 PM
no shit here ...taste the oil if its sweet its got antifreze in it
usually a couple of shot glasses of it will do........just pound some down until you get a buzz...

;)

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Dec 15 2003, 06:07 PM
Also you could do or get someone to do a compression test to see if any of the cylinders are down on pressure.
if dey r low? does it automaticly mean its his head gaskets? n can it mean durs a leak or 4 sure blown?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting some steam from around the radiator. How can I tell if it's coming from the radiator or the heads? There isn't any smoke coming out of the tailpipes, and it's only leaking water out of the radiator ( a small leak). I drove it the other day and it drove fine. I would think the head gasket would act up after a while of driving it if it were messed up? There also isn't any water in the oil.

Any insight is appreciated!

Last edited by 96 Caddy at Dec 28 2003, 03:01 PM

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. I just put a new radiator and I;m still getting steam and the car is leaking water. I can't tell where the water is coming from, but somebody told me it could either be my thermostat or water pump. I just changed my water pump a year ago, but have never changed my thermostat.

ANY IDEAS?

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
check to see if there is oil in the cooling system or antifreeze in the oil..
if ur car is not leaking oil and ur have a oil level that keeps rising then somthin is wrong.. obviously.. probably headgaskets.
if u look into the cooling system resivour(the overflow bottle).
and it looks like oil is floatin around then u have a problem..
if u just got the rad replaced at a shop and they didn't see anything out of the ordinary chances are u don't have a problem.. after all if there was they would let u know and probably would have fixed it.
if the oil starts to go brown like chocolate milk.. then u have a problem as well.. that's the antifreeze doing that...
not good.
and the worst case is if it's going into the combustion chamber.. but as u said u don't see any white out the tail... so that is not likley a problem.
if it's leakin outside the of theengine..
do a pressure test..
simple attachment they can put on the rad or where ever u fill the antifreeze and the look for a puddle or leak..
it's the best way to find the leak.
keeps u from changin parts when u don't have to.
hope that helped a bit.
layta
p.s.
if u do loose alot of fluid(antifreeze) make sure u don't over heat the engine.. last thing u want is to have to replace the guides in the head or worst yet the whole head... and if the oil is lookin like chocolate milk.. get it fixed.. the antifreeze will wash the bearings in the engine clean and that means a pooched engine if ur not carefull.. if that is the case and u save the engine from damage make sure to give it an oil change when u fix the gaskets.. and at least one or 2 more to make sure u get as much as possible out.
layta

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pressure test it and see where the coolant is coming from.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Originally posted by 96 Caddy@Dec 28 2003, 05:08 PM
ok. I just put a new radiator and I;m still getting steam and the car is leaking water. I can't tell where the water is coming from, but somebody told me it could either be my thermostat or water pump. I just changed my water pump a year ago, but have never changed my thermostat.

ANY IDEAS?
kinda sounds like the water pump. They have a weep hole so they leak when they go bad. I had a 90 deville, put a new WP in it and it went back out a month later. So dont rule it out becuz its "new".

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have as 85 devil and i thought the same thing but it turned out to be the intake gaskets no good. It might be that. Still was expensive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts