LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a bad motor but im not sure. Just tonight all of the sudden the rear started sounding different. Its still lifting, but just doesn't sound the same, it doesn't have the same "whine" like it did before. Its only on 24v so its not quick anyway. I did have that motor on the front at 48 for the first 8 months then switched em around about 4 weeks ago. Does it sound like the motor is going out?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Jul 25 2005, 09:21 PM
mine sounds funny when the batteries get low
[snapback]3477639[/snapback]​
not the batteries, fully charged fri night, barely used over the weekend, plus the ones that run the front also run the back and the front is fine

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by StrongIVLife@Jul 25 2005, 11:58 PM
maybe your shaft seal is blown...
[snapback]3478736[/snapback]​
Thats what I was thinking too, maybe. So if its that, does that mean that if I pull the motor off i should see some oil in there?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Pull the motor and take it apart. Make sure the brushes are clean. Spray the whole thing down w/ degreaser. Make sure the cap of the motor is not making contact w/ the brush bracket. Usually when a motor starts making a shitty sounding spin it's either dirty or burning out.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Jul 26 2005, 06:52 AM
Thats what I was thinking too, maybe. So if its that, does that mean that if I pull the motor off i should see some oil in there?
[snapback]3481144[/snapback]​
if the seal is gone you will definitely find oil in the motor.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
is your ground good?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
swap motors, front to the rear and rear to the front then if the motor sounds the same on the front(change ur motor) but if the other motor sound the same on the rear with a different motor it's going to be your gear!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Originally posted by lowlifehydraulics@Jul 26 2005, 10:27 AM
swap motors, front to the rear and rear to the front then if the motor sounds the same on the front(change ur motor) but if the other motor sound the same on the rear with a different motor it's going to be your gear!
[snapback]3482047[/snapback]​
Or block can get warped. Hit the switch a couple times and feel the block. If it's hot then you either got a bad gear or warped block.

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Jul 26 2005, 11:22 AM
is your ground good?
[snapback]3482009[/snapback]​
I'd start with the VERY basics like this dude said rather than ripping shit apart right away....

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by Lac of Respect@Jul 26 2005, 04:31 PM
Or block can get warped. Hit the switch a couple times and feel the block.  If it's hot then you either got a bad gear or warped block.
[snapback]3482074[/snapback]​

no shit? ... even if you got 72volts and 11 gear ...after a while my whole pump gets hot ...even the back plate ..

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Originally posted by ice64berg@Jul 26 2005, 11:08 AM
no shit? ... even if you got 72volts and 11 gear ...after a while my whole pump gets hot ...even the back plate ..
[snapback]3482296[/snapback]​
If a pump gets hot after just a couple hits then there's a problem. If a pump gets hot after "A WHILE" then that's not a problem.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just thinking before I swap motors. Everytime I took the motors off before the pumps were still mounted in the car. If its the seal that went bad, does that mean oil will start pouring out of I take the motor off while its still mounted or does it just seep so it will be okay to do that?

·
Registered
260 Posts
depends on the position of the pumps, if the tanks are above the motors and the seal is gone you will have oil in your motor depending on the cap, but if they are level just take the motor off

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Jul 26 2005, 12:10 PM
I was just thinking before I swap motors. Everytime I took the motors off before the pumps were still mounted in the car.  If its the seal that went bad, does that mean oil will start pouring out of I take the motor off while its still mounted or does it just seep so it will be okay to do that?
[snapback]3482677[/snapback]​
There would have to be just about no seal in order for fluid to poor out. When you take off the motor look at the block (where the key is) and if there's fresh oil then the steel seal is leaking. Every time you hit the switch it's gonna suck some fluid into the motor.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by 83Coupe@Jul 25 2005, 07:39 PM
I think this is a bad motor but im not sure.  Just tonight all of the sudden the rear started sounding different.  Its still lifting, but just doesn't sound the same, it doesn't have the same "whine" like it did before.  Its only on 24v so its not quick anyway.  I did have that motor on the front at 48 for the first 8 months then switched em around about 4 weeks ago.  Does it sound like the motor is going out?
[snapback]3477403[/snapback]​
My first question is what gear you running at 24 volts. That is not alot of power to lift a car, secondly, what type of car is it. Probably did blow something, depends on your gearing, cause 24 volts is pretty low for any gear.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks, im going to check the motor for oil and possibly switch the two and see what happens. If that still doesn't say whats wrong i'll start checking other options.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by SOMOSUNOLINCOLN@Jul 26 2005, 03:18 PM
depends on the position of the pumps, if the tanks are above the motors and the seal is gone you will have oil in your motor depending on the cap, but if they are level just take the motor off
[snapback]3482725[/snapback]​
:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts