LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup fellows, anyone have any experience in bagging a McPherson strut....thinking of going with universal air aero sports bag...just wondering if anyone modified there strut housing to tuck there front tire or lay frame...

thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a McPherson air strut on my ion and I am switching to hydros. This will be my 3rd front non spring strut. First time around I used a universal bag over my stock strut that was "built" for my car. Well in the end it actually lifted the front end from the lower springs I had. Then I got the easy street ones for my car and it tucked tire but not as much as I wanted. I could have modified the front strut but i decided hydros would be less hack work. I will post pics when its done. I am going to install the front stuff this weekend.

My suggestion is hydros on a mac strut car, it just seems to be the easiest solution. check our hydroholics.net they might have what you need.

Also what kind of car. That would help to direct a more appropriate answer your way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its for a 87 cressida...its a rwd car..here is a diagram of he front suspension

suspension

i dealt with hydros in the past, but it was for gm front ends...i thought about going hydros instead and running accumulators to cushion the ride. and with hydros i know you could tuck more...pm me with pictures or post on here..very interested in your setup...any pictures of your current bag setup?

thanks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The problem with strut cars is when the coil sits directly above the tire. The lowest you can go would be limited by the collapsed height of the bag, bracket and bearing. The strut length really doesn't affect drop.
If the the coil spring is tilted away from the tire you can get it much lower. Some bmws and vws have alot of room for the bag to clear the tire. In these cases you just use a shorter strut to lay subframe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats what i was thinking....i know a cressida strut is long...thinking of using a sw20 (mr2) strut which is shorter....still debating hydros or air haha...i found a guy who can make air cans which gives you a 2inch lift which would be great if i decide to go short stroke coilover...here is my fren car back in hawaii....

basically this much clearance before laying frame

who knows, i might be better off with air since i cant really tuck my tires way in there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its 135 for the custom air cans...basically i'll go that route if i go with a coilover setup...ride height will be similar to the picture...but able to atleast lift it to give me a finger gap to get over bumps or driveways...currently i have a finger gap between my tire and fender...

would it be possible to run a reverse flow cylinder with a powerball mounted to my top strut mount or mount the powerball to a custom steel plate? remove my strut cartridge and insert a cylinder in it and weld it in....similar to the tech article in layitlow

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
go with hydros, i had a customer come in with a convt bmw with mcpherson struts, and wanted adjustable suspension, and we are going with hydros, hydroholic one pump 5 dump setup, easier to hook up, more left, better ride with accumalators, and way more play time, be clowning all day, will start in a few days when kit gets here, and will be posting a topic with pics, but if done right, you can be problem free for years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good man....post some pictures of the install....i check out there website, i seen there products...no install pictures of there setup yet...

thanks

·
Against the Grain
3,604 Posts
my pathfinder is macstruts. luckily the bag sits inboard enough that the tire is beside the bag, so i can put the strut bracket anywhere on the tube and not worry about height restrictions.

but ive snapped a aim strut, and a airlift self fab strut. if i break another im switching to juice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Heres how low my car sat on air

Easy Street Struts up Front and then a UAS bag bolted out back. The UAS bag let me sit lower then using brackets on an Easy Street set up.

I have yet to install and trim everything. But heres a general rendering of my new rear set up (the car does not have rear struts, so this was voted to be the best solution)

Heres the swing arm on, not centered

and with the cylinders just run into the trunk.

Theres still more trimming that needs to be done.

Also here is the front hydro strut.

I am basicly waiting on parts to finish it. Its taken me 4 months to get to this point

1 - 11 of 11 Posts