LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...there is the two bars that cross inside the trunk which holds the trunk open......do these bars act as an alignment for the trunk????i broke 1 of the bars and it seems like my trunk is shifted a little.....any input on this would be great,thanks guys

·
Super Smasher
3,948 Posts
I think they do stabilize the trunk lid some what....I took mine out when I did my rear cylinders..and when lifted open the trunk does shift a little???

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
THEY ARE CALLED TORTION BARS, BASICALLY ITS A LATERAL SPRING THAL HOLDS THE TRUNK OPEN, IF ONE IS BROKEN ONLY ONE HINGE IS SUPPORTED, AND THIS WILL CAUSE THE TRUNK TO SHIFT.

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by WaitingForTheSun@Aug 13 2003, 12:45 PM
THEY ARE CALLED TORTION BARS, BASICALLY ITS A LATERAL SPRING THAL HOLDS THE TRUNK OPEN, IF ONE IS BROKEN ONLY ONE HINGE IS SUPPORTED, AND THIS WILL CAUSE THE TRUNK TO SHIFT.
thats all i needed to know :biggrin: thanks alot buddy....i was nervoud for a little while....ill have to get a new one asap

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by TOWN CAR92+Aug 13 2003, 01:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOWN CAR92 @ Aug 13 2003, 01:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--WaitingForTheSun@Aug 13 2003, 12:45 PM
thats all i needed to know :biggrin: thanks alot buddy....i was nervoud for a little while....ill have to get a new one asap[/b][/quote]
what if i removed the other torsion bar.....would that center the trunk or just get the new bar???

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Originally posted by TOWN CAR92+Aug 13 2003, 04:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOWN CAR92 @ Aug 13 2003, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -TOWN [email protected] 13 2003, 01:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--WaitingForTheSun
@Aug 13 2003, 12:45 PM

thats all i needed to know :biggrin: thanks alot buddy....i was nervoud for a little while....ill have to get a new one asap
what if i removed the other torsion bar.....would that center the trunk or just get the new bar???[/b][/quote]
just get new bars.......cuz then your trunk wont stay open...or at least thats wat ive been told

·
Registered
306 Posts
or take both of them out and mount a set of thoose gas shocks/ pistons that you find on newer cars, put in a trunk popper while you're at it :biggrin:

·
Registered
306 Posts
or take both of them out and mount a set of thoose gas shocks/ pistons that you find on newer cars, put in a trunk popper while you're at it :biggrin:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Originally posted by cad92brougham@Aug 13 2003, 06:34 PM
anybody have pics of how this is done? ;) ;)

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
I've got a set-up where I used a worn gas strut. I connected one end to the truck lid and the other to the one broken torsion bar. That torsion bar sets along the lock end of the trunk and is allowed to move slightly when the trunk lid is pushed beyond normal travel.

I could get a PIC, but that sh*t looks nasty, yet been working for the last 17 years.

If you use the small hood struts, they come in different ratings. You may need to make some brackets, but they are pretty cool when they work. I got a set on another car, stiff, but looks OK, no PICs. Just look at your screen door hydraulic piston to get an idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts