LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of battery is better the deep cycle´s or the sterter´s?
Can I use lead-acid batteries ? Some people say that is dangerous because of the gas that it can produce.
Please Help me.

Thanks. :uh:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I personally use starter batteries. I find they're better for winter weather (I'm currently in NY) and since I try to keep them full-charged all of the time, I know they're beter suited for that.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by air280@Dec 9 2003, 09:10 AM
starters for me................thing is, you dont let them run flat anyway cos of your solenoids etc and the speed so what advantage do you get form deep cycle?
The only REAL advantage you get from deep-cycles is that they can handle more cycling than starter batteries. Deep-cycle batteries can handle many more trips down to that 20%-mark than starting batteries can.
But for those of us that keep our batteries charged all of the time, whether by Streetchargers, pluggin' in every night, or other means, starter batteries are the way to go. Also, if you live in cold climates, starter batteries have a higher CCA. Matter-of-fact, most deep-cycle batteries don't even list a CCA because they weren't intended to be used in under 32-degree weather.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
what nationwide store sells trojan starter batts?? i've been looking here in south fl n i can find shyt... i need 8.. how much for each trojan?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
i have deep cycle starting batteries :biggrin:

·
Registered
970 Posts
i think it depends on your use of the drolics if u use and abuse them daily ,deepcycle is the way to go ,if your looking for thatextra lil power starting batts r for you! deep cycle r good cuz they handle the constant charging sessions ,so that s what i would recomend theyll last u a lot longer , and more for your money is always good ! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Originally posted by Latinplaya9@Dec 9 2003, 04:27 PM
what nationwide store sells trojan starter batts?? i've been looking here in south fl n i can find shyt... i need 8.. how much for each trojan?
If your looking for Group 31 batteries for a street car you can use Interstate Batteries Workaholics for abour $40 per battery. I asked an OG this question. Here's the website for Trojan
www.trojan-battery.com

Last edited by junglejorge at Dec 9 2003, 10:56 PM

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the answers, I think I'll use starters once I intend to use a streetcharger.
Just one more question: Can I use regular car batteries (100 amp) or gel-cell batteries are the only choice. Some peple say that is very dangerous use regular car batteries because they emit toxic flammable sulfuric gasses. Anyone of you guys are using regular car batteries.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by junglejorge+Dec 9 2003, 11:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (junglejorge @ Dec 9 2003, 11:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Latinplaya9@Dec 9 2003, 04:27 PM
If your looking for Group 31 batteries for a street car you can use Interstate Batteries Workaholics for abour $40 per battery. I asked an OG this question. Here's the website for Trojan
www.trojan-battery.com[/b][/quote]
iight thanks bro...i got workaholics righ now but i got a street charger so i want 8 new trojans.. thanks bro

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by igorgulla@Dec 10 2003, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the answers, I think I'll use starters once I intend to use a streetcharger.
Just one more question: Can I use regular car batteries (100 amp) or gel-cell batteries are the only choice. Some peple say that is very dangerous use regular car batteries because they emit toxic flammable sulfuric gasses. Anyone of you guys are using regular car batteries.

Thanks.
In my quest to find the perfect battery, I used regular car batts for a couple of years. :) I actually found regular batteries to be extremely quick. Only problem is, they have thinner plates and therefore can only handle cycling about 3 to 10 times, then they're shot.
And ALL unsealed batteries emit sulfuric gases.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Originally posted by Latinplaya9+Dec 10 2003, 09:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Latinplaya9 @ Dec 10 2003, 09:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 11:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Latinplaya9
@Dec 9 2003, 04:27 PM

www.trojan-battery.com
iight thanks bro...i got workaholics righ now but i got a street charger so i want 8 new trojans.. thanks bro[/b][/quote]
Deep Cycles suck for recharging alot, you need to use regular car batteries for that, here the OGs use regular Rockford Fosgate amps to charge batteries and the say regular batteries are better than deep cycles. If you want more info let me know and I'll ask, they stay up late at night drunking and slamming.

·
Registered
970 Posts
na george , that dont sound right ta me! they use a amp ta charge their batts,deepcycle sucks for charging? cmon thats what they r made for. man, where does lil get these people?hey has anyone heard of this stuff ? :uh: krewl

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Dec 11 2003, 01:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Dec 11 2003, 01:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla@Dec 10 2003, 04:45 PM
  Just one more question: Can I use regular car batteries (100 amp) or gel-cell batteries are the only choice. Some peple say that is very dangerous use regular car batteries because they emit toxic flammable sulfuric gasses.  Anyone of you guys are using regular car batteries.

Thanks.
In my quest to find the perfect battery, I used regular car batts for a couple of years. :) I actually found regular batteries to be extremely quick. Only problem is, they have thinner plates and therefore can only handle cycling about 3 to 10 times, then they're shot.
And ALL unsealed batteries emit sulfuric gases.[/b][/quote]
So, if I use a streetcharger I think I can use regular car batts once the batts will always be charging during the engine work , and will rarely be totaly discharged. Am I right? How long did your batts last?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by igorgulla+Dec 11 2003, 12:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (igorgulla @ Dec 11 2003, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2003, 01:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--igorgulla
@Dec 10 2003, 04:45 PM
  Just one more question: Can I use regular car batteries (100 amp) or gel-cell batteries are the only choice. Some peple say that is very dangerous use regular car batteries because they emit toxic flammable sulfuric gasses.  Anyone of you guys are using regular car batteries.

Thanks.

And ALL unsealed batteries emit sulfuric gases.
So, if I use a streetcharger I think I can use regular car batts once the batts will always be charging during the engine work , and will rarely be totaly discharged. Am I right? How long did your batts last?

thanks.[/b][/quote]
I only did that for a couple of years. I was just trying a few things before I finally settled with deep-cycle STARTER batteries.

I wouldn't do the Streetcharger with regular batteries. Technically, it would work. But the problem with Streetchargers is that most people don't drive there cars long enough for the Streetchargers to actually charge the battery. It only provides a small trickle charge and just driving to the store and hittin' switches the whole way just doesn't cut it for them. Don't get me wrong, I think Streetchargers work and are a good idea, but your car definitely needs some "run" time in order to take advantage of them.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by kaptonkrewl2003@Dec 11 2003, 11:12 AM
...deepcycle sucks for charging? cmon thats what they r made for...
I'm guessing but I think what he meant is that deep-cycle batteries don't like to be charged a lot. That's a true statement. Deep-cycle batteries are designed to, and last a lot longer, when they are run down to 20 - 25% between chargers. That's what battery charger/conditioners do. They actually load the batteries 'til they're low before they start to charge them.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Originally posted by kaptonkrewl2003@Dec 11 2003, 09:12 AM
na george , that dont sound right ta me! they use a amp ta charge their batts,deepcycle sucks for charging? cmon thats what they r made for. man, where does lil get these people?hey has anyone heard of this stuff ? :uh: krewl
If you keep recharging deep cycles over and over again they get weeker, thats the difference between deep cycles and regular car batteries, car batteries are made to continually be charged. If you going to run amps or a streetcharger to keep your batteries charged, DEEP CYCLES SUCK AND THEY WON'T LAST LONG, regular car batteries may not deep cycle but they won't fuck up because of the continual charge.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts