LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wuts better than the optima yellow top ? Ive had it for bout 3 years as my main batt but now I want to run a second batt just for the system. So wut should I go wit ?

This is wut Im runnin, kicker kx850, 2 one farred digital caps, one 15 inch L7 and soon will be adding a 4ch amp and neon inside the truck ( s10 xtreme 2.2 4 banger)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The neon wont take anything to power, usually less than 10 amps for even underbody neon on a car, so im sure you're puttin in less than that.

Really, with that amp, you shouldnt have problems with dimming or anything, youre just not pulling that much amperage from the electrical system. If I remember right, I believe those factory alternators for S10's are 90 amp, which should be just fine for you. Unless there is some reason you're lookn' for another battery, like more playing time without the engine on or such.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no tha lights dont dim but I will be adding another amp and 3 7 inch screens

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Nah, even the screens barely use any power. Maybe 5 amps at the most even if you had a 20" screen. They're low consumption devices for the most part. Really, you'd have to know what amp you're considering to make a determination if you really need more of an upgrade to another battery. MOST normal people dont need a 2nd battery unless they have a huge single amp, or multiple large amperage draw setups.

but if you're just adding an amp for some 6x9's or 6's , it wont be too much of an issue for you to add that kinda load on your existing setup.

...at least you're thinking ahead though, most people keep adding shit till their electrical system poops out and then wonders why

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea thats wut happen to my last car, the alternator blew up and dented my hood, I had a $3000 paint job that got fucked up. I put in a 240 amp alt and added a couple of caps wich worked fine till the computer went :(
But still I wana change the optima to maybe a stinger or the new optima group 31

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Stinger's a good bat... here are some others to consider

SVR group 34

Lightning Audio (rockford fosgate/exide)

Lifeline Batteries

Rockford Fosgate / Exide Partnership

Kinetic 2400

Oddessy (hmm, looks like another popular brand doesnt it ??? *cough, cough*)

Thats all I can think of at the top of my head worth mentioning

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
if your really worried about dimming lights and such, then upgrade your "big 3" using atleast 8awg wire (first make sure you need to before you do it)...

but after installation, if everyting runs accordingly and there isnt any dimming of any sort, then forget about the big3 upgrade idea :biggrin:

-qs

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Sep 15 2005, 05:10 PM~3822890
if your really worried about dimming lights and such, then upgrade your "big 3" using atleast 8awg wire (first make sure you need to before you do it)...

but after installation, if everyting runs accordingly and there isnt any dimming of any sort, then forget about the big3 upgrade idea :biggrin:

-qs
8ga :twak: :twak:

Id go with 4ga at a bare minimum, 1/0 or 2ga would be better...

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
4 gauge, not bigger then 0 gauge, I just think that 1/0 Gauge is overkill unless you have a big system, take it from me 1/0 gauge is fun to work with.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Sep 16 2005, 12:15 PM~3828131
4 gauge, not bigger then 0 gauge, I just think that 1/0 Gauge is overkill unless you have a big system, take it from me 1/0 gauge is fun to work with.
can get some 4/0 and run it along the frame of the car :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
See, im strange..... I usually buy 2/0 welder wire and use it for the big 3 ... mainly because im cheap and even at pretty much any local industrial electrical dealer you can get it for $1.50 a foot.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by snoopdan@Sep 16 2005, 12:21 PM~3828160
See, im strange..... I usually buy 2/0 welder wire and use it for the big 3 ... mainly because im cheap and even at pretty much any local industrial electrical dealer you can get it for $1.50 a foot.
welding supply stores are a SPL competitors best friend :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Well I would not use Welding cable from the distribution block to the Amps, but from the Alternator to the Battery would be cool. Welding wire is not designed to be used with a Car Stereo amplifier.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Sep 16 2005, 11:45 AM~3828305
Welding wire is not designed to be used with a Car Stereo amplifier.

uhh, OK .. then tell me why its NOT good to use 100% OFC copper multiple strand wire with an ISO 9000 listed temp range from 150-250 degrees F ??

Im not being a dick, I just want to know why YOU dont think its "not designed" for holding large amounts of amperage in high heat conditions. Maybe you dont realize that an Arc welder can push anywhere from 100-300 amps.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Sep 16 2005, 12:45 PM~3828305
Well I would not use Welding cable from the distribution block to the Amps, but from the Alternator to the Battery would be cool.  Welding wire is not designed to be used with a Car Stereo amplifier.
uh why?

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
If you cut a welding lead you will see very large wires, maybe 50 strands per wire, where a Power wire from Phonexis gold might have 250 strands per wire. There is a long story that I do not feel like typing, but maybe one of the computer guys can find a link to explain it. Trust me, just don't use Welding wire.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
It is different wire, it has to do with the Oscillation, and how the amp sees the Power

1 - 20 of 63 Posts