LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just wondering exactly how to do a tilt bed on a truck. I kinda want it to raise a little and tilt back towards the rear or side. I planned on doing a 2 pump set up for my truck before I considered doing the tilt bed...so if I go through with the tilt how many more pumps would I need? Does anyone have any pics of z racks or can help me out as far as how I would go about doing this.

·
LAC RIDAH
12,407 Posts
Originally posted by 3rdCoast_Kobra@Dec 31 2003, 05:43 AM
Ok, just wondering exactly how to do a tilt bed on a truck. I kinda want it to raise a little and tilt back towards the rear or side. I planned on doing a 2 pump set up for my truck before I considered doing the tilt bed...so if I go through with the tilt how many more pumps would I need? Does anyone have any pics of z racks or can help me out as far as how I would go about doing this.
First build sort of a frame for the bottom of the bed out of either like 2 inch c-channel or 1 inch box tube and then either bolt or weld the rack or the frame to the bottom of the bed floor. Afterwards you'd either have to build or go out and buy something called a "piano hinge", you'll need bout two of them and they'd probally be better if you can get em bout as big as almost like a barn door's hinges. Then weld in a crossmember going from one side of the truck's frame to the other under the bed so that if you mount one end of the cylinder (about 10 to 12 inch cylinder) to that rack that you built and the other end of the cylinder to the cross member of the frame and the hinges are mounted correctly and there's no clearance problems then your bed should fold on over. Hard to explain w/o pics but I've done one before on a mazda with a few friends and it really isn't too complicated. Just watch out for clearance issues. That's the biggest problem! Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Chris@Dec 30 2003, 11:09 PM
gotta have the proper cylinder angle too
Yes if you weld the cylinder in make sure it is at the right angle.

But rather than welding them in there is a better way of doing it. Use a hymes joint on the shaft end of the cylinder, and make a bracket for the other end so that the other end of the cylinder piviots.

For the bracket that you would have to make, you could use a piece of channel or box, put a hole in it, slide the cylinder in, then run a bead of weld around the cylinder to hold it in. Leave the bracket alittle longer on one end, on that end drill a hole and run a bolt though it so it has a piviot point.

Hope that makes sense for you.

That way it cant bind up and it will work smoothly ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck is a Mazda B2200...I am hopeing it won't be too complicated. Does anyone have any pics of what your talking about. Or even pics of some trucks with this kinda work done so I can kind of see how it all works.

·
Registered
677 Posts
a Z frame with hyme joint or clevis joints on the cylinders will do the trick.
There are a couple of pages in that Lowrider "How-to" book that lays it out pretty good.

*looks for digi-cam...*

Last edited by Skuce2 at Dec 31 2003, 04:50 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts