LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to learn how to paint, and wanted to know if their is any paint gun kits yall could recommend......i saw a kit at walmart but i dont know if I should even waste my time/ money on it....pleaase give me some info thanks!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
FIRST GUN I GOT THAT WAS HALF DECENT WAS THE FINISHLINE 3 CAME WITH 4 TIPS THAT RANGE FROM 1.3-2.2 ......I CAN PRETTY MUCH SPRAY ANYTHING WITH IT,I LIKE IT ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
if you wanna get into custom painting i recommend the iwata w400 series. i use the iwata w400-WB (WB means water base) and even though its made for water base paints it lays on 2k materials like butter, and lays down problem metallics easier(less blotchy). i too also started with the devilbiss gti and still use it occasionally, its a great gun. i also have a sata 3000 digital, but i still like the w400-wb the best. compared to the sata 3000 and devilbiss gti, the w400 is almost half a pound lighter with no pot. dosent sound like much but when your doing a 4 hour candy job your arm will feel the difference. once you start painting alot youll formulate your own opinions on what works best for you. any questions on gun adjustments just message me...

all my repaints are done with the w400-wb link to some of my work....

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff289/hi_ryder/

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Iwata LPH-400 cant be touched IMO... I have 2 one with a base tip and one with a clear tip.... Set you back a little on money but pays for itself once you see how it lays the paint and clear...

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TTT

Any more info on guns??? looking to buy if anyone is selling.....lmk

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Devilbiss GTI :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: NEXT IS THE IWATA :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I like the Itwatas - Not for basecoats however.(Atomizes too well IMO ) ........... Great candy or clear guns .. (Have 2 of em/ 1 gold plated :0 ;) :biggrin: )

Sata is a solid performer.

I use Sharpe's for Primer.

Iwatas for Kandy & Clear.

I even use a Sharpe Finex $85 gun for Basecoat's -- IDK what it is but my lil gun is a Trooper -- Been holding out since 2001....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Spook had a real nice answer .......... Real talk like that is really whats needed in this thread.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
If you cant paint, just get a cheap gun, learn with it. It would be insane to get a Iwata just to try your hand at it. Spend $20 on a gun and make it work. I painted 30 cars with a $10 gun and they were all slick as glass. I use a Iwata now, and its better for sure....but no point in starting with it. Get a cheap gun and learn whats going on, and know the reasons of why you are doing something. Once you have near perfection with cheap gun, THEN go to the Iwata and you will be killin it.

·
LUXLIFER
25,439 Posts
Originally posted by BIGSPOOK@Feb 24 2009, 03:18 AM~13094973
i started with harbor freight equipment to get the hang of the gun and some basic techniques before moving up to a sata. didn't want to spend too much in case i realized that it wasnt for me.
That's exactly how I started. Bought a $16 gun from Harbor Freight and did a 2 tone flake job with it :biggrin: Figured if I started with something complex, I'd learn a lot more :roflmao:

Now I got a $40 Husky gun, and sprays way better then the Harbor Freight, my homie has been painting for a while and used my Harbor Freight siphon ($29) that I just started using for flake and primer, and he shot a oriental blue candy flawlessly. No runs and no blotching. :cool:

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Originally posted by 801Rider@Feb 24 2009, 11:04 AM~13096634
That's exactly how I started. Bought a $16 gun from Harbor Freight and did a 2 tone flake job with it :biggrin: Figured if I started with something complex, I'd learn a lot more :roflmao:

Now I got a $40 Husky gun, and sprays way better then the Harbor Freight, my homie has been painting for a while and used my Harbor Freight siphon ($29) that I just started using for flake and primer, and he shot a oriental blue candy flawlessly. No runs and no blotching. :cool:
I have 2 of those for primer :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Originally posted by bigshod@Feb 24 2009, 02:12 PM~13098887
sweet...is that the only guns u have :cheesy:
SHARPE, BINKS, SATA TOUCHUP GUN AND ABOUT 5 HARBOR FREIGHT GUNS... :biggrin: :biggrin:

WHAT DID U DO WITH THAT AIRBRUSH U WON IN THE AUCTION..?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TIPS for beginners always welcomed....I hear a lot of just picking up the tools and giving it a shot....but what supplies should I start of with....the devilbliss gti looks like a nice gun to start off with and work my way upto.... ;)

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Originally posted by pi4short@Feb 24 2009, 03:02 PM~13099842
SHARPE,  BINKS,  SATA TOUCHUP GUN AND ABOUT 5 HARBOR FREIGHT GUNS...  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

WHAT DID U DO WITH THAT AIRBRUSH U WON IN THE AUCTION..?
its here ,,my son uses it to paint his models and cars and anything else he can fuck up :0

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Originally posted by bigshod@Feb 24 2009, 09:34 PM~13103500
its here ,,my son uses it to paint his models and cars and anything else he can fuck up :0
KOO I NEED TO GET A NEW ONE.. I THINK IM GONNA BUY THE IWATA

1 - 20 of 48 Posts