LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

after some requests here is my project story.
couple of months ago one of my club homies mailed me this link to the sale of a 1980 coupe deville. there i saw this nice caddi for sale in california at a verry good price. the car looked clean from the outside and underneath but no pics from the interior or trunk...
i figured someone had to buy this car so i just picked up the phone and called the seller in santa ana california. making contact was not easy because there is a 9 hour time difference!
after a couple of weeks i made the deal with the seller. some friends of mine were accidentaly going to cali because they were visiting majesics at the super show. i gave them my money and they were to kind by going to inspect the car for me and close the deal. thanx again for that majestics amsterdam ;)
after that i contacted the shipping company and they went ahead and pick up the car by truck and the car would be shipped a week later. after a month it finally arrived! went to pick it up and without any problems, drove the car home myself.
it has now been sitting in my garage for almost 3 months and i'm deep into the build :)
the car was ok from the outside exept for the bumper fillers, bumper strips and some verry little pits in the paint. mechanically the car seems perfect exept for the rear axle, one of the bearings is worn and the rear end was filled with "metallic" oil :s the setup is good but needs a minor overhaulin to be perfect. and as described by the seller, the interior was f*cked up, but complete.
most important, the car itsself is hard as a mofo and has no rust or anything, a really mint condition car!!

i will post pics in the following posts with description.

so far i have removed the entire entirior and cleaned/reupholstered/repainted every part. no part goes trough my hands without making it like brand new again. i restore everything, exept for parts like the taillight lense, backup light lense and the seats. i bought a 1979 fleetwood wreck witch had some nice seats, pulled those out, cleaned them and now goin to repaint them to match the color. swapped the undercarriage from both seats to make em fit.

the car is allmost finished, just got to clean the inside and put in dynamat-like insulation/noise dampening material before reinstalling everything.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are some of the pics that a saw when the car was for sale and some pics my friends took when they were in cali with the seller. i based my purchase on these pics! offcourse, the sellers description also made me close the deal, he sounded like a good guy so i went with my gut feeling

and here are some pics the shipping company sent me when they got the car

and some pics from when i went to pick the car up in antwerp, belgium

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here ar some of the first progress pics, started pulling out the interior and cleaning everything
the shitty part was that when the car arrived, i started with my exams on my highschool (i'm in my second year industrial engineering, still got 3 more years to go...) and i just finished them last week so i didn't really have the time to work on the car, that will start from next week, finally!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
then i decided one day to wash the car, may not seem so on the pics but it was around 35 degrees that day...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one day during the weekend, my club homies came by and we started pulling out the entire back side of the interior, got that job done in an hour!
the more we removed, the more we saw the quality of the cr, there is no rust and all the metal is hard and has the clean factory paint on it :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
then, on one day, it decided to tart snowing...
the coupe the one under the cover, the purple one is my daily 1973 fleetwood.
i felt sorry for the car, it has been used to 30 years of sunny clifornia and from when it arrived, it has seen nothing but rain, snow and freezing temperatures... but i take good care of it, no worries :) thats also why i am protecting the ar as much as i can, put in anti rust everywhere!!!

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Good luck on the build. :cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
started to reupholster the frst parts. i work with two fabrics, one is a beige alcantara and the other one a gold swirl velours. they really look nice and its a good combo!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some more reupholstery with the swirl. this wil look freaking sweet when its in the car

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here are some trim part in the alcantara. the fabric doesn't look nic on the pics but you know what it looks like, it's much more smooth in real life

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here are some pics from the wreck i bought. also some random progress pics from the ame time. all the wood in the car looked f*cked up like the rest but nothing some good polish and cara cant fix ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dropping of the wreck and painting some fresh lines on the dash with pinstripe equipement

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
taking the wreck appart and starting to clean the seat with some homies

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more progress picks on the coupe plus pics when i was making some aluminum inserts for the door handles. went and buy some alu rails, cut them and shaped them and polished the sh*t out of em.

·
Registered
19,361 Posts
Originally posted by allan73cadi@Feb 11 2010, 09:19 AM~16581322
started to reupholster the frst parts. i work with two fabrics, one is a beige alcantara and the other one a gold swirl velours. they really look nice and its a good combo!

:h5:
Oh yeah, don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to the, project rides section.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
took a lot of parts to my little studio at the place where i study, that way i had some parts to work on during my exams :)

1 - 20 of 144 Posts