LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is it, and what does it do. streetable?? have no clue only heard the phrase so wondering what it is

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
it's not to good for a daily, if to big of a shrink is done. check the search. there are several topics, with plenty of info and pics.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea but u can't ever find anything on layitlow. there is always 6 pages of car fest and club stuff before i ever get to anything that might help

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
search split belly. there will be plenty of info to shrink a belly. basically you cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch out of the bottom of the crossmember and pull it together. once i had my 1/2 inch cut out, i welded a piece of angle iron on both sides and used an industrial clamp to squeeze the gap together. welded the split, and wrapped it up!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok great thanks for the replys. so it generally to straighten up the coil spring in the pocket then?

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Yeah thats why they say they do it, to have the cylinder pushing in the direction the lower arm swings, instead of pushing outwards. I've heard alot of other bs reasons, but thats the only one that makes sense

·
Registered
327 Posts
i just dont see how it does that. it looks like all it does is gives you a lil more positive camber. youre not moving anything. just pie cutting the k member and squeezing it together. youre just makin this___ look like /\. well not as drastic. youre not changin the spring area at all

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can see how it works i guess. it would pull the lower control arms closer, which would move the spring seats closer, while they remain the same up top in the frame. more so lining the springs up closer to vertical. but if you look at it stick, sure seems like 1/2 to 3/4 really ain't enough to fix the spring issue, but does translate into alot more camber

·
Registered
327 Posts
but what im sayin is youre not changing how the spring sits in the pocket. its all the same as it was before. all its doin is changing the k member from bein flat to puttin a concave in it. youre not changin the frame at the spring

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea and if you really think about. adding angle like that also adds it to the lower spring seats. which may straighten the spring but gives it less contact patch, which might make it easier to pop out?

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by mazdawg78@Feb 20 2010, 10:59 PM~16674441
but what im sayin is youre not changing how the spring sits in the pocket. its all the same as it was before. all its doin is changing the k member from bein flat to puttin a concave in it. youre not changin the frame at the spring
yeah you are,the whole width of the frame, motor mounts, spring pockets, a-arm mounts, all get rotated, the cylinders go from / \ to | | not so drastically. I'd rather cut the crummy pockets out and re-adjust them that way though, without making the frame ugly twisted looking, making your steering pivots turn on different axis' and twisting body/radiator mounts

They say that 3/4" helps alot, but I remember gary may,on History of Hydros, saying cars after 64 just weren't right, and the x frames hopped better, and you see how much lean they have. and you cant argue with an OG :uh: lol

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
If done right you cannot hit the crossmember which helps everything on the front of the car. Yes the a-arms will bottom out on the frame but the do that without shrinking it also. There are ways around moving the steering and core support mounts.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Originally posted by yetti@Feb 21 2010, 06:32 PM~16680009
If done right you cannot hit the crossmember which helps everything on the front of the car. Yes the a-arms will bottom out on the frame but the do that without shrinking it also. There are ways around moving the steering and core support mounts.
Exactly. I don't know why everybody has such a hard time understanding the whys and hows of doing a split/shrink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts