LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy two new 12's and I'm thinking of going with bandpass, but may stick to ported like I've got now.

I'm a bass junkie, so what will crave my appetite?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
are you wanting to compete, or just be a block banger? Different mentalities and installtion avenues go with each.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by snoopdan@Sep 23 2005, 02:51 PM~3873300
are you wanting to compete, or just be a block banger?  Different mentalities and installtion avenues go with each.

block banger by far. Not ready to compete, just want a good street system, somehting to turn heads from about six blocks. :biggrin:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
If you got someone that know what they are doing, then I would go with a Bandpass, they are crazy for what you can do with them

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Sep 23 2005, 09:24 PM~3874523
If you got someone that know what they are doing, then I would go with a Bandpass, they are crazy for what you can do with them
true, they have to be built CORRECTLY though, no prefab, but str8 built for the subs that will used in them...

-qs

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The thing with a bandpass box is, if designed correctly should have a rather flat response in comparison to a typical vented enclosure. It results in a fairly musical response from the sub/enclosure.. However, you will not get quite as much SPL as you could (within the unknown constraints of your vehicle). You have to remember, that ported enclosures aimed for SPL are peaky at a certain fequency for a particular reason - highest SPL at a certain note. While a bandpass has 'ideally' flat output over a range of fequencies, and less peaky. Which is sort of the point. Sure, people can compete with bandpass boxes, its just not done everyday simply for the fact that its easier to make a ported box fit in a vehicle that has reasonable size limitations vs. a bandpass box which is usually larger than a ported box due to its design mechanics.

Im not telling you what to do, just prompting you to think it out more.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:uh:

Not to be a dick, but I know the difference between ported and bandpass. I was asking for a good brand of subs, what's the best subs for ported and the best subs for bandpass.:dunno:

I have ported now and might stick with it, but I may switch it up and do a bandpass design depending on if I get bags or juice.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Not to be a dick, of course ;)......but read the specs on the sub brand you like and make the enclosure approiately? You can say "well, you need a High Q speaker, or you need a low Q speaker" but thats just not true if you dont have any enclosure size limitation. You gotta work with what you have, or....dont have in this case. So really technically, you can use any sub for a bandpass enclosure as long as the box fits the specs of the speaker. There is no magic formula that says "this sub will work the best for bandpass" sorry, nope...nada.

·
Banned
9,973 Posts
Originally posted by snoopdan@Sep 24 2005, 04:25 PM~3878286
Not to be a dick, of course ;)......but read the specs on the sub brand you like and make the enclosure approiately?  You can say "well, you need a High Q speaker, or you need a low Q speaker" but thats just not true if you dont have any enclosure size limitation.  You gotta work with what you have, or....dont have in this case.  So really technically, you can use any sub for a bandpass enclosure as long as the box fits the specs of the speaker.  There is no magic formula that says "this sub will work the best for bandpass"  sorry, nope...nada.
well said, i like the extra detail in that ;)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by snoopdan@Sep 24 2005, 04:25 PM~3878286
Not to be a dick, of course ;)......but read the specs on the sub brand you like and make the enclosure approiately?  You can say "well, you need a High Q speaker, or you need a low Q speaker" but thats just not true if you dont have any enclosure size limitation.  You gotta work with what you have, or....dont have in this case.  So really technically, you can use any sub for a bandpass enclosure as long as the box fits the specs of the speaker.   There is no magic formula that says "this sub will work the best for bandpass"   sorry, nope...nada.
Okay, but with that said, what's a good brand for bandpass subs? What brand is a good brand to go with if I wanted to do bandpass?

And ported, what's a good ported brand?

Sum up my issue, I bought 2 JL W3's and I'm running them on a 500/1 amp. I blew one of my 12's on an amp specified for my 12's in a ported box design specified for my 12's. I was told that JL's are good for a street system, and I'm finding out now that the subs really arent good.

So I'm shopping. I'm wanting to get a damn good pair of 12's that will nock the shit out of my trunk. And to keep my options open, I'm looking at different choices in design for my wants (even on brands).

Just looking for help, that's all.

There is no magic formula that says "this sub will work the best for bandpass"  sorry, nope...nada.
That very well may be the case, but with what others out there have gone with badpass in the past (or currently have), what brand are they running with and are they happy with it?

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by cre8nhavoc@Sep 27 2005, 03:29 PM~3895688
Okay, but with that said, what's a good brand for bandpass subs?  What brand is a good brand to go with if I wanted to do bandpass?

And ported, what's a good ported brand?

Sum up my issue, I bought 2 JL W3's and I'm running them on a 500/1 amp.  I blew one of my 12's on an amp specified for my 12's in a ported box design specified for my 12's.  I was told that JL's are good for a street system, and I'm finding out now that the subs really arent good.

So I'm shopping.  I'm wanting to get a damn good pair of 12's that will nock the shit out of my trunk.  And to keep my options open, I'm looking at different choices in design for my wants (even on brands).

Just looking for help, that's all.
That very well may be the case, but with what others out there have gone with badpass in the past (or currently have), what brand are they running with and are they happy with it?
I think what he is trying to tell you is that any sub that is correct for a Ported box, can be used in a bandpass box. Though I saw a guy use a Free air sub also for a bandpass box, and it worked, but didn't if you get my point. I know that I used 2-8" Rockford Fosgates, on my first Competitioin system, and that box hit very hard, and I was really surprised with the output.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
go buy the biggest subs you can afford and the biggest amp, stuff them in your car crank your gains and go rattle down the street with your shittty bass.. you have been given plenty of very good info and if you took the time to read and try and comprehend what was said you wouldnt keep asking the same dumbass question over and over again....sweet jebus some people are retarded

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you had pretty good results with Rockford’s whiteboy? I had thought about switching back to Rockfords, but I’ve heard the newer models are nothing compared to the older models & have a tendency to blow easier. If they’re still a good brand, then I’ll do some more research. What are you running now? Again, thanks for the info.

Snoop, I got what you were trying to say, so don’t think I didn’t. I did all the homework thwe first time with JL and what I researched seemed accurate. Most came from the main website (JL) and from the shop that installed.
Everything I bought/did was straight from JL’s specifications (in fact they didn’t recommend bandpass). Again, just thought there was a solid brand that people knew of that they can recommend for me. I can do the homework again (which I’m finding out is the only option I have), I was just hoping that the regulars here would have some insight for me on their past experiences with brands/set ups. That’s all.

And thanks for your two cents Pitbull. You’ve been a big help in showing me your level of maturity in being a dick and an asshole. Get back in your beater with the Craico system and get your parking lot pimp on in front of Weight Watchers.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Originally posted by cre8nhavoc@Sep 28 2005, 12:47 PM~3902226

And thanks for your two cents Pitbull.  You’ve been a big help in showing me your level of maturity in being a dick and an asshole.  Get back in your beater with the Craico system and get your parking lot pimp on in front of Weight Watchers.
this only whats in my computer room.... I can go to the other room if you would like and show you a couple amps that are worth more than ur home :). I sure do love my craico :roflmao:

I wouldnt have been an ass if you actually took the time to read and listen instead of asking the same question over and over again dickwad...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this only whats in my computer room.... I can go to the other room if you would like and show you a couple amps that are worth more than ur home . I sure do love my craico

I wouldnt have been an ass if you actually took the time to read and listen instead of asking the same question over and over again dickwad...
Again, thanks for your two cents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts