LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i used teflon tape just the cheap stuff and it still leaks really really slow but still leaks what is everyone using?? is there better quality teflon tape?? :dunno: can liquid thread sealant be used? :dunno: if so would it work better ???all info is greatly appreciated thanks :cool:

·
Registered
563 Posts
permatex 5 dollar medium ble thread locker i use it on all fittings..air and juice let mend like 3 hours done comes off w hand tools..

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
prefer teflon, hadn't gone wrong with it yet.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Cody, the guy with the '59 el camino build on here uses red teflon tape, he said its heavy duty and it works real well. I think im gona use locktite or somethin to re-do mine. I just feel like the teflon shrinks after time and creates leaks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was also a believer in teflon tape until recently. Been using it on cars for years with no problem. Then all of the sudden I just tested a new system I installed using teflon and I had many leaks. I switched to a loctite thread seal because that's all I could find off the shelf and it seems to work well. Though, you need to use more than one drop. Man I even had three brand new push to lock fittings leak. I was real disapointed with that.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Originally posted by shoprag@Jan 29 2010, 12:52 PM~16450604
I did find 545 at a local fitting store and they wanted $49 for the bottle!
yep good stuff. They do have smaller bottles but hard to find.

The pink gas teflon is thicker and nicer to work with.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by Simplicity@Jan 29 2010, 11:22 AM~16450841
yep good stuff. They do have smaller bottles but hard to find.

The pink gas teflon is thicker and nicer to work with.
is it just the same as the yellow gas teflon? I can't really find the pink where I am so I used the yellow teflon sometimes, pretty thick (used it on my Sanden install too).

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i didnt know until i did a google search that theres like 20 different teflon tapes, pinks ,yellows ,reds, high density but i was just using the cheap white teflon at like the hardware store now is the big question where can i get the lock-tight napa maybe?? and will it be able to come off this isnt like thread locker is it? have to break the fitting trying to get it off? i heard lock-tight is some real quality stuff :biggrin: :cool:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Originally posted by 78monte85riviera@Jan 29 2010, 01:58 PM~16451731
yeah i didnt know until i did a google search that theres like 20 different teflon tapes, pinks ,yellows ,reds, high density but i was just using the cheap white teflon at like the hardware store now is the big question where can i get the lock-tight napa maybe?? and will it be able to come off this isnt like thread locker is it? have to break the fitting trying to get it off? i heard lock-tight is some real quality stuff :biggrin:  :cool:
Loctite is the brand and they have a million different products (ok, maybe not a million.... but alot) anyway, just make sure u get the Loctite 545, thats the good stuff. It will come apart if you need it to. Its not like thread locker that i never supposed to come apart :cool:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Please dont make the mistake of using LOCTITE THREAD LOCKER AND LOCTITE THREAD SEALANT. The THREAD LOCKER you are going to have a hell of a day to remove the fittings even with tools. Just use the THREAD SEALANT it comes off easy ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts