LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way/source to learn about hydraulics and setting them up? Any sites that you learned from?

Where did you learn to build a lowrider from (provided from hydraulics)?

Thanks!

cadillac_rider

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just try putting a setup in. You figure out more tricks as you go along. Take stuff apart and put it back together. I have learned a lot of little thing from this site. I don't think you will find a better one than this.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Look at the hydro products ask questions on this site how it works and stuff, Also u can buy a book that says HOW TO BUILD A LOWRIDER......... ;)

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
1st off, try to hang around people that already have them. Learn from thier mistakes and learn all you can. I would learn all I could before trying to do a self install :cool:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros@Sep 28 2003, 02:59 PM
Looks like Volv_lo has a book coming out soon, hit him up.
yep...

not till x-mas tho..

I wish it could be sooner, I finished writing it a couple months ago, but it has to go through a big "PUBLISHING PROCESS"

This site is good, stick around and ask questions.....
then once you really get good you tranfer over to squaredump.com ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by [email protected]@Sep 28 2003, 04:30 PM
1st off, try to hang around people that already have them. Learn from thier mistakes and learn all you can. I would learn all I could before trying to do a self install :cool:
actually, its funny you say this. i dont know how much you know impala1966 on this site, but he's a good friend of mine. actually he's my best friend's older brother, so i'm always hangin around him and his '66 lowrider. thats how i got interested in lowriders.

i do have real good knowledge of cars (especially the older muscle cars). i'm only 17, but i own a 1978 Corvette.

about that book, maybe i could proof read it? :D

thanks for the replies!!

cadillac_rider

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Someone brought that book "How to build a Lowrider " to my shop I took a quick glance at it saw that they had run the front hoses underneath the back seat. I personally wouldnt do that. That hose breaks under that seat bye bye interior. Maybe I didnt give the book a chance but Its not what I expected. I hope the new book will be a little more to my liking. I am having a website built that will allow the user to take apart a pump and put it back together again. It will have the Protector valves on the pump when assembled but would give a new guy a pretty good idea of what a standard 2 pump 4 dump should look like. George SRS

·
Registered
888 Posts
Originally posted by ghost211@Sep 28 2003, 08:23 PM
Someone brought that book "How to build a Lowrider " to my shop I took a quick glance at it saw that they had run the front hoses underneath the back seat. I personally wouldnt do that. That hose breaks under that seat bye bye interior. Maybe I didnt give the book a chance but Its not what I expected. I hope the new book will be a little more to my liking. I am having a website built that will allow the user to take apart a pump and put it back together again. It will have the Protector valves on the pump when assembled but would give a new guy a pretty good idea of what a standard 2 pump 4 dump should look like. George SRS
how far off is that site from being up and running, Id love to check it out

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by ghost211@Sep 28 2003, 08:23 PM
cool...

i modeled a whole suspension with juice using Pro/engineer...
In my book I show an exploded view of the pump labeling all the components in it...
INCLUDING THE SHRINK WRAP ON THE MOTOR BOLTS ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
the best way to learn about Hydraulics is to buy a cheap car with hydros and get hands on experience. If you have friends with lifts on their cars that will help to. Any way to get hands on experience is the best way. Thats how I learned. Trials and tribulations is what gives you pride in the lifestyle. Hard work! Patience to!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Originally posted by 62belair@Sep 30 2003, 03:01 PM
the best way to learn about Hydraulics is to buy a cheap car with hydros and get hands on experience. If you have friends with lifts on their cars that will help to. Any way to get hands on experience is the best way. Thats how I learned. Trials and tribulations is what gives you pride in the lifestyle. Hard work! Patience to!
yep...

LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd start by buying a pump and taking it apart....... see how that part works...

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Originally posted by 62belair@Sep 30 2003, 03:01 PM
I think one of the main thing for newbies is to learn is of the dangers of hydros.

When I started out, I was using these old aircraft cylinders. One day I had the car topped off and bamm the car dropped to one side. The seal poped out, good thing I was not working under it at the time.

Another time, I had a hose pop on me and then again bamm to the ground. Ever since then I used jack stands while working under it.

It's another good thing I wear glasses, cause another time a block cracked sending fluid all in my face.

Then I had a battery pop, same thing, all in my face.

I once had a cyclinder shot out across the alley at less than a 100 PSI I swear it would have put someone in the ER.

And yet, another time we were scrapin and hit a small man hole. My partner jammed his knee up into the glove box when the car just sopped dead in it's tracks.

Since no one was really ever hurt bad, it's just a part of the fun of having hydros.

Maybe others can give a few details on what to watch out for. One thing I can say is to buy new and the best. Let someone else learn the hard way.

Last edited by Hydros at Sep 30 2003, 03:31 PM

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
GOOD POINT HYDROS,

another is springs,,
USE THE PROPER TOOLS.... a spring compressor (for removal of springs under tension) is a very handy item to have when installing hydros...

the first intall I ever did I used rope to keep my springs from popping.... Well I still have a dent in the garage door from the rope breaking free......

got shot a few times and even drank fluid....
no batteries pooped on me but a blew apart a tank a couple times.... MESSY.. and LOUD...

JACK STANDS,
never crawl under a car with out...
I still catch my self doing it every once and a while

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
I'll take some PICs and show how to remove coil springs using a floorjack and jack stands, Not fast, but really safe.

Also, when using the large screw bolt like spring compressors, Use only one, from the inside coil and have the coil tilt toward the inside, This make the job easier and a little safer when working on none lifted cars. --Just a little helpful hint.

If this make no sense, PICs always help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts