LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the Best way to cut some springs...........i have done it a couple times before with all different ways..........

.....how do most of you prefer to cut em???

-Papo

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Grinder = clean cut. :cool:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by EastBayRyda925@Aug 16 2006, 09:36 PM~5984212
What the Best way to cut some springs...........i have done it a couple times before with all different ways..........

.....how do most of you prefer to cut em???

-Papo
torches tend to weakend the spring i used to use a torch but now i realized the grinders make shit better and it doesnt take that much time, and im pretty good with oxy cutting, but the cut looks hella clean with a grinder :cool:
evan

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 16 2006, 09:45 PM~5984279
torch then put them in a bucket of water.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
i was acctually dumb enough to do that on my first setup :happysad:
its no wonder why my rear springs collappsed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 16 2006, 10:45 PM~5984279
:nono: dont do that!!! WRONG.... this the last thing u wanna do!!! its bad enough if u use a torch (Witch will weaken the spring) water is gonna cause the meatal 2 cool off 2 fast and expand the meatal....... the best possible way would be a BAND SAW.....witch every 1 dont have.... #2 would be a grinder

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by Loveblazen@Aug 16 2006, 09:54 PM~5984338
:nono: dont do that!!! WRONG.... this the last thing u wanna do!!! its bad enough if u use a torch (Witch will weaken the spring) water is gonna cause the meatal 2 cool off 2 fast and expand the meatal.......  the best possible way would be a BAND SAW.....witch every 1 dont have.... #2 would be a grinder
im pretty sure he was kidding
;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Originally posted by low4life86@Aug 16 2006, 10:56 PM~5984355
im pretty sure he was kidding
;)
ya but wouldent wanna c a new set of springs at 125.00$ go 2 waist.... the guy who Started the topic probly new 2 dros and would belef that shit :cool:

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
grinder...although ive seen some people cut spring by submerging them in a bucket and cut right above the water level basically...didnt weaken the springs any except for maybe 2''s of the end

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
i dont know why everyone says that torching a spring will ruin it and cause it to collapse. if you torch it, you should still be able to touch the spring 1/2 turn away or even less. if you are getting more of the coil than that too hot to touch, you need to learn how to torch better.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Originally posted by Loveblazen@Aug 16 2006, 10:01 PM~5984376
ya but wouldent wanna c  a new set of springs at 125.00$ go 2 waist.... the guy who Started the topic probly new 2 dros and would belef that shit :cool:
good point homie ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Swingin80Lincoln@Aug 17 2006, 12:24 AM~5984741
i dont know why everyone says that torching a spring will ruin it and cause it to collapse.  if you torch it, you should still be able to touch the spring 1/2 turn away or even less. if you are getting more of the coil than that too hot to touch, you need to learn how to torch better.
i never use a torch, but your correct the heat shouldnt spread to far from the place you are making the cut :cool:

i use a porta band, before that i used a grinder with a cutoff wheel

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Loveblazen@Aug 16 2006, 10:01 PM~5984376
ya but wouldent wanna c  a new set of springs at 125.00$ go 2 waist.... the guy who Started the topic probly new 2 dros and would belef that shit :cool:
i aint new to this, an wouldnt beleive that......like i said up top....ive done it plenty of times before BUT i want to see how the people mostly in the "Hydraulic Forum" do it.........i liked the way the grinder works...much cleaner

so grinder it is :biggrin: thanks everyone

-Papo

·
SELL 0UT
2,737 Posts
torched springs make a annoying squeeking sound eventually..

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 16 2006, 10:45 PM~5984279
Damn, before my hard drive crashed I had a picture of someone who had torched their springs and then dropped them in a toilet to cool them. :roflmao: I'll have to see if it's on the backup...

·
Registered
367 Posts
GRINDER WITH METAL CUTTING DISCS, (NOT THE ACTUAL GRINDER FOR THOSE BIGINERS THAT MIGHT BE READING THIS). THE CUTTING DISCS ARE ABOUT AN EIGTH INCH THICK, THE SLIMMER THE BETTER. ALSO WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. :cool:

·
Registered
367 Posts
GRINDER WITH METAL CUTTING DISCS, (NOT THE ACTUAL GRINDER FOR THOSE BIGINERS THAT MIGHT BE READING THIS). THE CUTTING DISCS ARE ABOUT AN EIGTH INCH THICK, THE SLIMMER THE BETTER. ALSO WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. :cool:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts