LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i was in the middle of doin a three wheel the steering coupling ripped off and i 3-wheeled right into the ditch. my steering was locked up where i couldnt straighten it out on the road. my question is do they make a better aftermarket one?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Are you talking about the rag-wheel coupling that connects the steering box to the actual steering shaft?

If so, replace the low quality rivets with some G8 fastners. Also, the rubber isolator was probably deteriorated as well, so you will need to get a new one.

I do not know if there is a stronger aftermarket replacement piece, but it you do all of the above, you wont have any problems. :biggrin:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by racerboy@Nov 16 2008, 09:27 AM~12170776
Are you talking about the rag-wheel coupling that connects the steering box to the actual steering shaft?

If so, replace the low quality rivets with some G8 fastners. Also, the rubber isolator was probably deteriorated as well, so you will need to get a new one.

I do not know if there is a stronger aftermarket replacement piece, but it you do all of the above, you wont have any problems.  :biggrin:

yea thats its, i got a new one on there, from oriellys, at the help section, but i aint tryin no more 3-wheelin till i find a better one. i think it was still the original one that broke loose. thnaks for the info! ;)

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
The rag joint is the least of your worries.... you should be worried about why your frame is flexing enough to let it happen in the first place.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i got this car nothin worked, previous owner said he never changed anything like tie rod ends,etc..frame is reinforced at the stress points.

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Doesnt matter.... your frame is flexing which is pulling it apart... its not going to "rip off" for no reason as you descibed in the first post.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so i should have the frame looked at?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Nov 16 2008, 06:18 PM~12173796
Doesnt matter.... your frame is flexing which is pulling it apart... its not going to "rip off" for no reason as you descibed in the first post.
it could if it was rotted badly. I cant imagine a frame flexing that much. there would be additional damage showing in other areas. like sheetmetal..

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 16 2008, 11:51 AM~12170885
i just seen on horsepower tv a steering column by flaming river

Good company and parts, gay name :yessad:

Theyre based near cleveland ohio.

A few decades ago, our local river caught on fire.

ya, water... on fire...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Nov 16 2008, 09:24 PM~12175923
Theyre based near cleveland ohio.

A few decades ago, our local river caught on fire.

ya, water... on fire...

Shit! That looks like my town this weekend! We were burning to the ground. Again.. :uh:

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Just saw this old topic, thought I'd put it out there that for the same price and labor,you can get the intermediate shaft off of 80s Wranglers and Cherokees and eliminate the rag joint. say good bye to dangerously sloppy steering. They are 2 peice telescopic like factory, and have the same spline and tang on each end. Might chop a little off the lower shaft if youre worried about head on collisions.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewH@Apr 24 2009, 08:16 AM~13676845
Just saw this old topic, thought I'd put it out there that for the same price and labor,you can get the intermediate shaft off of 80s Wranglers and Cherokees and eliminate the rag joint. say good bye to dangerously sloppy steering. They are 2 peice telescopic like factory, and have the same spline and tang on each end. Might chop a little off the lower shaft if youre worried about head on collisions.
good to know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Originally posted by JasonJ@Nov 16 2008, 08:21 PM~12173398
Flaming River sounds like an STD.
lolzz...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts