LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fella's I was drivin my '63 imp and my music was a little on the loud side, but I noticed my power steering went out!! then my sound went dead then motor. Everything just died, so i had to coast to a stop, and I poped my trunk and found my car bat was arcing and it melted the terminal off it!
I got a new terminal and as I try to put it on, it arcs.. I checked the ground seems fine, and the key isnt on or anything...

Anyone have an Idea??

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had the same problem with a 64 Impala SS that I used to have. Check a little black box, the regulator, close to the hood latch or the single ground wire seperate from the ground on your battery. I think a replacement regulator will cost you about 20 bucks, but I don't quite remember.
It's been a couple of yrs since I've had my 64 but I remember that exact thing happening to my car and that how I fixed it.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
that could be the regulator but why did the power steering go out?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car shot off, wich cause my whole system to shut down, Sound,power steering and all...

Ok, i will get a new regulator, and see what happends

Thanks for replies

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by jtheshowstoppper@Oct 12 2007, 10:38 PM~8989969
is that the tiny lil box in front? if so i dont even use that shit
Yeah its supposed to regulate the power going through the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright this kidna sucks... I when to Advanced and got a new regulator... I looked in my car and guess what... no regulator... So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
check and wiggle the wires around the bulkhead connector on the firewall,they are notorious about not getting a good connection,and everything will go dead

but ,i just reread the 1st post, if the battery melted and is arcing off,it sounds like there is a short in one of your hot wires,sounds like it maybe melted and is grounding out. you might try poping out some of the fuses and see if it still arcs then start reinstalling them til it does,or unplug some of the harnessses,like tail lights, front headlight harness, stuff like that and see if it gets you any closer to the problem

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm sorry. I was under the impression all older vehicles came with a regulator???? Guess not. Sorry I couldn't help. Does the car have ground wire seperate from the ground on the battery? It's usually attached to the frame.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try taking all the fuses out and trying it..""new bulk head also put in"

Well, I was looking around, My hot wire from my bat all the way up to the fton of the car is fine, Its grounded to the frame

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The hot wire (positive) should never be grounded to the frame. The negative (ground) should be grounded to the frame.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
did anyone else notice he said he popped his trunk to get to the battery?

·
Registered
127 Posts
:yes:
i figured he meant the hood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, My battery is placed in my trunk, not under my hood :), Below my Battery Rack, and next to my 15'' sub.. If you want a pic I will post one lol

PROBLEM RESOLVED!
Resolution:
I took out my battery cable from the solenoid, to the battery, and check it, It got sliced, and it was touching my trunk floor,.

I first found out by thinking why it was arcing if it wasnt touching anything... I took off the hot from the solenoid, and then tried applying the cable to the battery and it still arced so thats how I found it.
Thanks to everyone to contributed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts